daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #781
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

Ground Zero by erinsamm8, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #782
Liberater444
Soldier of Many Fortunes

Likes (Received): 0

FANTASTIC pic Otie!

This shot really shows how far along WTC is! (even if it's not so much)

I love the design for the Museum and I'm glad it's completed.

I live in Chicago, but I hope to make my way to WTC if not on the 10th Anniversary, sometime when the entire complex is finished.

L444

PS: Keep up the great pics guys! I'm guessing you all live/work in or around WTC? Between this and the Hub thread, there are loads of great shots!
Liberater444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #783
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

by in.formed on flickr..

New fence is visible along the south..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Looks like they are installing a new crane for the vehicular security center..

image hosted on flickr
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #784
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

To Swiddle, Yes you are right, They are washing them. In that picture you posted it is very visible. I did see that yesterday on the Earthcam. I always like to double check things. Thanks.
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #785
oli83

A view from the other side of the vent structures, by ZippyTheChimp on WiredNY/imageshack.us

Old July 28th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #786
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

CAT328 you work for Bay Crane? I'm jealous, i always wanted to be a crane operator. I've become something of a crane geek just by following the WTC construction...
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #787
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
That lattice jib (or whatever it's called) is huge for a telescopic crane! Too bad we won't see the jib in action at the plaza.
Actually large lattice jibs or luffing jibs are very common on hydraulic cranes. This is due to the fact that the hydraulic main booms are very heavy and the cranes lose lifting capacity very rapidly when the angle of the main is lowered. The lattice type jibs are much lighter and reduce the capacity considerably less. Actually the older lattice cranes had a much better lifting capacity chart than the new hydraulics do. The advantage of hydraulics is that they are much faster to set up!
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #788
cat 328

My friend is a oiler for them on that rig, I would like to become a operating engineer if I can get into the union

Msradell, what do you mean by "The lattice type jibs are much lighter and reduce the capacity considerably less"

Last edited by cat 328; July 28th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.
cat 328 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #789
Otie
Researcher

Dear lord.

Atheist Group Sues NYC, Bloomberg in Protest of WTC Memorial Cross

Quote:
American Atheists, a nonprofit group, has filed a lawsuit protesting the inclusion of the World Trade Center Cross in the 9/11 memorial and museum.

The lawsuit claims that the presence of the cross is unconstitutional because it violates the separation of church and state and because it excludes other religions and belief systems.

(Photo: Reuters)
Father Brian Jordan (L), a Franciscan Priest, blesses The World Trade Center Cross, made of intersecting steel beams found in the rubble of buildings destroyed in the September 11 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, before it is transported and lowered by a crane into an opening in the World Trade Center site below ground level where it will become part of the permanent installation exhibit in the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, in New York, July 23, 2011.

"This was an attack against America, not Christianity, and Christianity does not deserve special placement just because the girders look like their religious symbol," the group said in a statement on its website.

The WTC cross was initially found amid the rubble in the immediate aftermath of the attacks - two intersecting beams from one of the towers were found intact and unmanipulated, closely resembling the Christian crucifix. The cross was previously displayed at a church, but was moved to the 9/11 memorial on July 23.

"This cross is now a part of the official WTC memorial," American Atheist President David Silverman said in a press release. "No other religions or philosophies will be honored. It will just be a Christian icon, in the middle of OUR memorial. As a public accommodation, the memorial must allow us (and all other religious philosophies) to include our own display of equal size inside the museum, or not include the cross. Equality is an all-or-nothing deal.

Among the multiple defendants named in the lawsuit are NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, and the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation.

The American Center for Law and Justice plans to file a friend-of-the-court brief defending the presence of the cross at the memorial.

"This is another pathetic attempt to rewrite the Constitution and rewrite history by removing a symbol that serves as a powerful remembrance to that fateful attack nearly 10 years ago," Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the ACLJ, said in a press release. "This lawsuit is deeply flawed and without merit. It is just the latest chapter of an anti-God strategy employed by atheist organizations across the country-a strategy offensive to millions of Americans, a strategy that we're confident will ultimately fail in court.

"We will aggressively defend the placement of this cross," Sekulow continued. "This memorial, a powerful part of the history of 9/11, serves as a constitutionally-sound reminder of the horrors that occurred nearly a decade ago."
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #790
Otie
Researcher

9/11: A Decade Later Fire Truck Damaged At WTC Joins September 11th Museum (click the link to watch the video)

Quote:
The firefighters playing bagpipes and drums at the World Trade Center site on Tuesday were not gathered for a funeral. Instead, they were watched a flag-covered, 60,000-pound fire truck being lowered by crane 70 feet below ground, into the future September 11th Museum, to become part of its permanent collection.

The truck belonged to Ladder 3 and Battalion 6 in the East Village, which lost 12 men on September 11, 2001. The truck was parked on West Street and damaged beyond repair by the collapse of the Twin Towers.

“I drove it for two years. I was the steady chauffeur, so I drove it about 2,000 times," said onlooker Michael Moran, who also lost his brother in the World Trade Center attack. "It’s nice to see that it’s getting a nice final resting place.”

For years the truck has been housed at Hangar 17 at John F. Kennedy International Airport along with other September 11th artifacts. Now it made the return trip, with the mayor and top fire officials paying respects, alongside victims’ families.

“It showed our families we have not forgotten our sacrifices. It will show the world what the FDNY did on September 11th,” said Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano.

While the September 11th Memorial will open for the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks, the below-ground museum is still under construction and will not open until a year later, with the fire truck on display.

“Literally, millions of people are going to learn the story of the firefighters through this artifact. And to see all the firefighters here today to pay their respects, it means a great deal,” said President Joseph Daniels of the September 11th Memorial and Museum.

“It’s good to have it back here to share with others. I think that everybody should see, you know. It’s something that none of us should ever forget,” said Jim Wind of FDNY Ladder 3.

In addition to Ladder 3, two other vehicles are being transferred into the museum this week -- Engine 21 and an FDNY ambulance.

The iconic steel cross from the World Trade Center site, which is currently displayed on Church Street, will be moved to the museum at a ceremony on Saturday.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #791
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

New update by morrongiello
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morrong...in/photostream
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #792
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtin View Post
Just copy/paste the HTML/BBCode. I love how reflective 4WTC's glass is. Amazing!

image hosted on flickr

WTC Site 20110727- Memorial Plaza by morrongiello, on Flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #793
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat 328 View Post
My friend is a oiler for them on that rig, I would like to become a operating engineer if I can get into the union

Msradell, what do you mean by "The lattice type jibs are much lighter and reduce the capacity considerably less"
Like I said in the early part of my note, hydraulic booms are very heavy and reduce the capacity very rapidly when the angle is lowered. The lattice jibs are much lighter weight and thus can be used to extend the reach without necessitating lowering the main boom thus the capacity of the crane at a given work radius is not reduced as much as it would be without using the jib.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #794
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

So will this thing actually be done in time? They're under 45 days now.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #795
cat 328

Capacity is still lost with a luffer regardless, the 1350 at the memorial has every section out setting the trees with only 30 tons of weight on her with no luffer. If your over capacity with no luffer there is no way you will be back in with a luffer on. The whole idea of a luffer is to give reach over something once you have the height from the boom, you barely see mobiles with luffers to begin with unless they are installing HVAC units on the roof of a building or erecting a tower crane. Needless to say you will never run that many parts of line on a jib as you will off the boom.

Any crew is going to add more counter weight before a another mobile is brought in to add a luffer plus the man hours to lace the bridal.

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #796
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

7890-\]
';
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
by in.formed on flickr..

Looks like they are installing a new crane for the vehicular security center..

image hosted on flickr

This crane has been here since March

cat328 is correct, luffing jib's aren't for capacity, they are for reach and angle...You wouldn't put a 6 parts of line on a luffer (I'm talking mobile cranes about the parts of line)

Perfect example of what a luffing jib is MADE for

http://www.ditzj.de/html/en/cranes/schmidbltm1500.html

aand assembling a tower crane

http://www.cranesinc.com/CranePic/Al...2222222222.jpg

Last edited by 325ccr; July 29th, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #797
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
This crane has been here since March
Not the yellow crane in front, but the red thing behind. It looked to me like the first pieces of a new crane, but obviously (see pic below) it is something different. Can anyone explain what this machine does? Thanks!

image hosted on flickr

2011-07-27 06 von in.formed auf Flickr
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #799
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
So will this thing actually be done in time? They're under 45 days now.
Depends on what your definition of done is? I'd say about 75-80% of the plaza will be finished. The NE corner and the outer edges won't be finished for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they left the edges unfinished with all the construction still ongoing surrounding the memorial site.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #800
cat 328

oli83, the red drill rig is installing tiebacks, they are securing the new bathtub so it will have no movement or collapse.

Tags
world trade center