daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1041
primus20

Likes (Received): 38

this memorial is just perfect.

I ♥ NY
primus20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1042
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Will we get them every year on 9/11? That'll be crazy. We get the new towers AND the symbolic old towers? Wonderful
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #1043
N.Y.Panoman
N.Y.Panoman

Likes (Received): 11

Taken 3/11/2002

N.Y.Panoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #1044
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Will we get them every year on 9/11? That'll be crazy. We get the new towers AND the symbolic old towers? Wonderful
Give Michael Ahern some bucks and surely you'll have it every year. Just to be clear, this artistic event has nothing to do with the NS11M&M or its related.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1045
Otie
Researcher

August 12
image hosted on flickr

ONE WORLD TRADE CENTRE by _BRMB_, on Flickr
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1046
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

The NS11 Memorial is a colossal achievement. There's little else you can say about it.
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1047
azn_man12345

How come the North Pool looks so dark but the South Pool looks grayish? Which color will they be on the anniversary? I'm assuming the darker color, yes?
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1048
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2745

I believe it's because one (North) is filled with water while the other is still dry.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #1049
azn_man12345

Oh! That makes sense. Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1050
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

I thought these lights were going to be a permanent thing around the WTC memorial pools?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #1051
azn_man12345

No, the Tribute in Light is just another way of paying respect and remembering 9/11. But these waterfalls are the "official" memorial for that day.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1052
wtcrebuild

Likes (Received): 2

both pools are on now
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1053
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I think it would be good for an artist, PA, Lary and everyone to see those lights in the pools..Every 9/11..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1054
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
Hello guys!

While in the metro (french Tube) this morning, I read an article coming from a free daily paper saying this:

I'll try to take some pictures...

Source : "20 minutes"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give you an idea, here's a couple of drawings which they released:

The Twin Towers will be 25 meters tall. To open the ceremony, 70 kids will bring the biggest US & French flags in the World (designed especially on that occasion). There will be a free gig too...

For those understanding french a bit, here's an article ----> http://www.lecourrierdelarchitecte.com/article_2110

I'm looking forward to it .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get you patrick...what's wrong about this replica? What's missing, the antennas? Let me remind you that the aim of that commemoration isn't to display a replica as faithfull/tall as the original towers! If you look at the drawings closely, you'll see (perhaps) that the Twin Towers form a giant '11' figure, admit that with the antennas, it would have ruined that effect...

Otherwise, just know that the 'Frogs' are far from being 'ignorant', think twice in the future before 'criticizing' for free. A word to the wise...

I'll try my best to go to the Trocadéro so I can take a few pics, but there will certainly be loads of journalists on the spot as well, so I guess you guys will easily find pics/videos on the internet, It will be impossible to miss it I think .

http://thefrenchwillneverforget911.com/

PS: in 2007, 2500 people had already formed a human chain on Omaha Beach in Normandy, one of the 5 beaches of the american 'Débarquement' on 6 June 1944 during WWII.

You can see in the background the US Cemetery where thousands of brave soldiers have been resting...Those 4 words say it all.
Bravo France

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1055
bobman
Regulator

Likes (Received): 16

The memorial is really coming along. It looks great. Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos of the progress.

I note in a recent documentary that construction workers hope to reach 1000 feet by 11 September for 1 WTC. How's the progress so far in terms of that goal?

Also, is it just me or do the pools (north in particular) seem to be further away from West Street than where the original WTC buildings were? I know the road has been temporarily re-aligned, but it appeared that the North Tower was very close to West Street. I believe the pools are also 31% smaller than the actual footprints of both towers. They're still imposing though and are a good tribute to the victims.

I wish they retained more of the façade from the WTC towers which remained standing post-collapse. Some of the aluminium cladding was still attached to the remaining tridents, yet they saved brown coloured ones for the museum instead!? Wonder how much else will be brought in from Hangar 17 and put on display. I also noted how the museum building has subtle reminders of the former towers in its side profile.

One final thing is I hope that Koenig's Sphere is returned to the site. It's a little disappointing and arrogant that the museum doesn't want it there as they said it would "clutter" the area. This piece is iconic and should be brought back as a poignant reminder of what happened that day and a symbol of hope, given it survived both collapses without being destroyed itself. There should be something located outside within the memorial area that was actually there pre-9/11 and this is a fitting piece.
bobman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #1056
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
The memorial is really coming along. It looks great. Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos of the progress.

I note in a recent documentary that construction workers hope to reach 1000 feet by 11 September for 1 WTC. How's the progress so far in terms of that goal?

Also, is it just me or do the pools (north in particular) seem to be further away from West Street than where the original WTC buildings were? I know the road has been temporarily re-aligned, but it appeared that the North Tower was very close to West Street. I believe the pools are also 31% smaller than the actual footprints of both towers. They're still imposing though and are a good tribute to the victims.

I wish they retained more of the façade from the WTC towers which remained standing post-collapse. Some of the aluminium cladding was still attached to the remaining tridents, yet they saved brown coloured ones for the museum instead!? Wonder how much else will be brought in from Hangar 17 and put on display. I also noted how the museum building has subtle reminders of the former towers in its side profile.

One final thing is I hope that Koenig's Sphere is returned to the site. It's a little disappointing and arrogant that the museum doesn't want it there as they said it would "clutter" the area. This piece is iconic and should be brought back as a poignant reminder of what happened that day and a symbol of hope, given it survived both collapses without being destroyed itself. There should be something located outside within the memorial area that was actually there pre-9/11 and this is a fitting piece.
Hi Bob,
1WTC will reach the 1,000' mark by 9/11.

The pools are 198' (including the parapets) from side to side, 176' the first square(were the cascade begins) and 40' the inner void. The original footprints of the twin towers were 211' 10", as you stated, the pools are ~30% smaller (not counting the parapet dimensions) than the original footprints. The first row of trees surrounding the pools will mark the exact dimensions of the footprints at plaza level while inside the Memorial, just below, there are going to be some marks of the exact position of the columns.

The Sphere will be relocated to the World Trade Center site, in Liberty Plaza (under construction) just south of the memorial, according to the latest information released by the PA.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1057
bobman
Regulator

Likes (Received): 16

Otie,

Many thanks for that

That's good news!
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1058
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2918

Quote:
OFFICIAL COMMEMORATION OF 9/11

THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMEMORATION
OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES

(LE FIGARO, AUGUST 30, 2011)

JOIN US ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2011
PLACE DU TROCADÉRO, PARIS 75016

OFFICIAL & SOLEMN COMMEMORATION
IN REAL TIME

From 14:46 PARIS TIME (8:46 AM U.S.)
IMPACT ON THE 1st TOWER

TO 16:28 (10:28 AM U.S.)
COLLAPSE OF THE 2nd TOWER

IN THE PRESENCE OF

Bertrand DELANOE, Mayor of Paris
H.E. Charles H. Rivkin, U.S. Ambassador to France
Tony Benetatos, FDNY Hero, 9/11 Survivor
& MANY AMERICAN & FRENCH OFFICIALS

NIGHT VIGILE
Starting at 20:15 IN MEMORY OF THE 2976 VICTIMS

PLACE DU TROCADÉRO, ON THE HUMAN RIGHTS PLACE, BETWEEN THE GIANT AMERICAN AND FRENCH FLAGS,
A SYMBOLIC REPRESENTATION OF
THE TWIN TOWERS.

WITH THE EIFFEL TOWER AS A BACKDROP...

A SOLEMN COMMEMORATION, WITH OFFICIAL SPEECHES,
DRAMATIC MUSIC, AMERICAN & FRENCH MUSICIANS

EACH TOWER STANDS APPROXIMATELY 10 STORIES HIGH

ON EACH TOWER ARE DIFFERENT INSCRIPTIONS:

- THE NAMES OF EACH VICTIM OF 9/11

- HUNDREDS OF MESSAGES PREVIOUSLY COLLECTED IN THE U.S.A. AND IN FRANCE

- "THE FRENCH WILL NEVER FORGET"

http://www.thefrenchwillneverforget911.com/fnf/

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1059
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

Ground Zero by Vin_Schiano, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7876 by joso2005, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7878 by joso2005, on Flickr
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1060
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

wow. the memorial is really looking fantastic. they really got it into high gear in the past couple of months for the anniversary. it looks so modern. like it has a real air of seriousness to it but at the same time it also has a sense of welcoming and openness.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
world trade center