daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #1161
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center Memorial Plaza: FDNY, 9/10/11 by Scoboco, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #1162
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Very glad to see the pools running without that damn swirl effect.
Right? I guess I'm not the only one who thought that.
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1163
Strait City

Likes (Received): 52

Question: does anyone know why the Tribute in Light is located so many blocks away and not at the wtc site?
Strait City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1164
konik93

Likes (Received): 1486

10 years and one day after September 11 2001 World Trade Center Plaza is open again

-

Quote:
Question: does anyone know why the Tribute in Light is located so many blocks away and not at the wtc site?
9/11 Memorial and Tribute in Light have different organisators and despite this - it would be hard to put these reflectors in Ground Zero during construction.

Last edited by konik93; September 12th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
konik93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #1165
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

I had no idea that there were lights embedded in the ground like that, very cool!
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1166
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

WTC site then, now and in the future..Some interesting info..Check it out..

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...129347043.html
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1167
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Amazing rare pics from the site..

http://project.wnyc.org/culture/911-...tos/index.html
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1168
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuabu View Post
I had no idea that there were lights embedded in the ground like that, very cool!
The World Trade Center Memorial Plaza does not have embedded lights. Rather, the image posted by desertpunk is nearby Zuccotti Park.

And I guess there are no lights in the voids of the pools after all. There's something light-colored down there that looks like lights during the day before the floor dries after the water is drained. While it would be cool to see what they would look like with lights, I believe it's more fitting that they remain black voids.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1169
dissociative

Likes (Received): 13

Best.Memorial.Ever.

Would love to come and see the place in real life someday.
dissociative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1170
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

ohh i see, that picture of Zuccotti Park is very misleading then, since this is The Memorial thread. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1171
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

In that last pic, at the VSC, it looks like there is a small green "lake" in it, like at Deutsche Bank. Is that what it is? Also, when will they put more steel there?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1172
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
In that last pic, at the VSC, it looks like there is a small green "lake" in it, like at Deutsche Bank. Is that what it is? Also, when will they put more steel there?
I believe that "green" is just rebar. I could be wrong. There was water in the Deutsche site for a time. The color was do to certain materials/chemicals in the ground. With the anniversary behind us, construction will get back to normal. I'm sure new steel will show up soon.

How cool is it though to look at the webcams and see people walking around the memorial. Love it.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1173
konik93

Likes (Received): 1486

For those, who did not watch the tv coverage

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1174
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Something that occurred to me after seeing people finally visiting the pools... the design of the fountains defines how they will be experienced.

People will experience the fountains by standing and most will lean over the bronze name plates. This differs from most other fountains in the world, which are designed for people to get close and comfortable with. At this memorial, it isn't possible to sit and observe, or even lean agaist a railing and conveniently gaze.

This isn't necessarilly criticism. Perhaps it is better that they are large and unapproachable, always being just out of reach but powerful at the same time. You can't just sit and spend time with the fountains. Instead you must stand and actively maintain the at arm's reach leaning posture.

Hopefully that describes the vibe I think they will impart without seeming disrespectful or critical. I find it interesting to ponder how memorial designs affect our perception or mood while visiting the site.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #1175
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

After watching yesterday's moving coverage of the 10th anniversary ceremonies a thought occurred to me. Hope I don't get slammed too bad for this but here goes:

Almost every network covering the event still refers to the WTC site as "Ground Zero", so here's a proposal- Change the official name of the memorial to "The National 9/11 Ground Zero Memorial at the New World Trade Center". This way those who want to keep "ground zero" in the name can have their wish while at the same time referring to the fact that this is the NEW World Trade Center. What are your thoughts? (Yes I know that is kind of a long name).
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #1176
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photos by dfhdez
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1177
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Martin G. Conde, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Otie; September 13th, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #1178
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
After watching yesterday's moving coverage of the 10th anniversary ceremonies a thought occurred to me. Hope I don't get slammed too bad for this but here goes:

Almost every network covering the event still refers to the WTC site as "Ground Zero", so here's a proposal- Change the official name of the memorial to "The National 9/11 Ground Zero Memorial at the New World Trade Center". This way those who want to keep "ground zero" in the name can have their wish while at the same time referring to the fact that this is the NEW World Trade Center. What are your thoughts? (Yes I know that is kind of a long name).
With all respect, I think that's not a very good idea. The WTC has changed so much, that it isn't Ground Zero anymore. I say keep the name it has; it's a good one. Let those that wrongly call it Ground Zero call it that, and hope that they will learn better. Either way, in a few years when the entire site is complete and beautiful again, no one'll dare call it Ground Zero again. Cheers
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1179
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Something that occurred to me after seeing people finally visiting the pools... the design of the fountains defines how they will be experienced.

People will experience the fountains by standing and most will lean over the bronze name plates. This differs from most other fountains in the world, which are designed for people to get close and comfortable with. At this memorial, it isn't possible to sit and observe, or even lean agaist a railing and conveniently gaze.

This isn't necessarilly criticism. Perhaps it is better that they are large and unapproachable, always being just out of reach but powerful at the same time. You can't just sit and spend time with the fountains. Instead you must stand and actively maintain the at arm's reach leaning posture.

Hopefully that describes the vibe I think they will impart without seeming disrespectful or critical. I find it interesting to ponder how memorial designs affect our perception or mood while visiting the site.
Not to take away from your "feeling", but the main reason there is the difference you talk about is because technically these are waterfalls, not fountains. And I'm not talking about the grammar, but about the risks (and therefore needed precautions) associated with each thing.
A fountain where you can get up close and personal, is one that doesn't have any major risks, other than getting yourself wet.
The risks with this waterfall are obviously different, since you could easily fall down it injuring yourself, or in the worst case scenario, die (given the height).
Creating a large parapet like the one done at the memorial, ensures you don't accidentally fall into it in any way (but still can if you wanted to) without blocking it out completely with a rail or glass wall, like you would have to if the wall was any smaller.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #1180
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Remember this insane old render, which would have been an accident waiting to happen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
world trade center