daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1421
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
That sucks. Sweet gum trees are very bright in the autumn as compared to Swamp Oaks
The problem is that sweet gum trees are very messy to clean up around! Certainly not something you want in a place like this.

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #1422
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

All pics by forumer Dominance

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1423
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

National September 11 Memorial Karl by eyes of disarray, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

National September 11 Memorial Grounds by eyes of disarray, on Flickr
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1424
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

What a difference one year makes. There are a lot more dead leaves left on the trees this year. I hope that just means that there has been less wind so far this season to blow them off. (Stressed/dead/dying trees tend to hold onto their leaves through winter.)

27 Dec 2011:
[IMG]http://i41.************/izlzrl.jpg[/IMG]
27 Dec 2010:

HD EarthCam
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1425
Otie
Researcher

PORT AUTHORITY THREATENS TO SUE 9/11 MUSEUM FOR $300 MILLION
EAST | FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2011 | JULIE V. IOVINE.

Quote:
In the days immediately following the show of solidarity on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, the Port Authority and Governor Cuomo retreated to one corner and Mayor Bloomberg and the Sept 11 Memorial and Museum Foundation to another over accusations of $300 million in cost overruns that neither party has agreed to pay. Construction of the museum has ground to a halt decreasing the likelihood that the Museum will open next year as promised.

On December 15, the Governor told Albany radio host Fred Dicker that the Port Authority was “on the verge” of suing the Foundation. The PA charged that the Foundation has not provided $156 million for infrastructure costs and has subsequently not reimbursed the Authority for awarded contracts since immediately after the anniversary. On the radio show, Cuomo said $300 million was owed to the PA, an amount said to include newly revised project costs as well as money already spent on infrastructure.

In a statement, Michael Frazier, the foundation’s spokesperson, said, “The 9/ll Memorial has met every funding commitment. There is no validity to the Port Authority’s claim; in fact, as recently as yesterday this claim was half of this amount. The Memorial has a counterclaim against the Port totaling more than $140 million. The Mayor clarified all of this today.”

In a rebuttal made at a news conference on Friday at a Bronx elementary school, Mayor Bloomberg said, “We don’t owe anything.” While noting that the city is working with PA to resolve the issue, he added, “It’s hard to see us getting to a courtroom, but if it has to go there, it has to go there.”

A source familiar with the situation said that there is a $300-500 million bill lurking and unaccounted for, but that it has to do with site-wide security costs. At issue as well is the dedicated task force assembled by former PA head Chris Ward to cut through previous disagreements, which may have been disbanded when the new director Patrick Foye took over. Whether the city or the Port Authority is responsible for escalating security costs seems unclear.

With a virtual halt in construction, Frazier said in a phone call that the timely completion of the Museum is endangered. “The Museum was next in line to be completed before Towers Four and even One. What’s really at stake now are all the items and donations by family members and others that were entrusted to us to preserve but are now in storage and in jeopardy.
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #1426
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

The situation between the foundation and the Port Authority is absolutely disgraceful... If i was a 9-11 family member and knew that that the museum, its donated artifacts, etc. was being held in limbo over this money issue I would be outraged... HOW did this happen? I have read a lot of articles describing the present situation yet virtually nothing on HOW it came to be... if anyone has a link to any good articles about it it would be appreciated, thanks!
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #1427
kevinsteen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

nice building! i like it ! and i like snow! - Golf Clubs for Sale
kevinsteen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #1428
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Do the waterfalls of the memorial freeze up in winter ? I remember seeing pics of Niagara falls frozen, sorry if this sounds dumb but we don't see frozen stuff here very often ?
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1429
Swiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Do the waterfalls of the memorial freeze up in winter ? I remember seeing pics of Niagara falls frozen, sorry if this sounds dumb but we don't see frozen stuff here very often ?
They aren't suppose to freeze, but quite a bit of ice formed in the pools about 10 days ago when the temperature was below freezing for 36 hours or so. You can see for yourself by going to the following link and looking at the 18th of December:

http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm

More info on the pools:

http://www.sea.siemens.com/us/intern...case_study.pdf
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1430
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Sept. 11 families awed, honored by the 1 million visitors to the 9/11 memorial
Memorial site is on pace to draw up to 4 million visitors in 2012: official

BY Jennifer H. Cunningham & Rich Schapiro

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, December 29 2011, 2:09 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1i0W6rOIl

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #1431
Swiddle

The NYC weather forecast is for it to be below freezing for about 60 hours starting Monday night. I will be watching the memorial pools closely to see how much ice forms. It is suppose to be windy too, which will blow water from the pools (especially the north pool) onto the plaza where it can freeze. That happened earlier this week (below). If they regularly use deicing salt or other chemicals on the plaza, that could be bad for the trees if enough remains in the soil in the spring.

[IMG]http://i39.************/wu5uo1.png[/IMG]

Oops:

Tennessee tourist arrested for bringing pistol into 9/11 Memorial
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1432
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

del

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1433
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
The problem is that sweet gum trees are very messy to clean up around! Certainly not something you want in a place like this.
I've never known someone to plant a sweetgum tree on purpose! They're a nuisance lol.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1434
Otie
Researcher

BStyles was right, my info is a bit outdated .
However it looks like Tower One's West Plaza will still get filled with these sweet gum trees, unless SOM has changed of mind.

And finally we met.
image hosted on flickr

Earthcam on World Trade Centers by Tony Shi., on Flickr
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1435
Swiddle

It's the famous Earthcam!

They shut off the north pool waterfall around 1pm today and over three hours later it's still off. I suspect the wind was blowing too much water out, which was effectively becoming freezing rain. (I see what might be icing on a couple trees.) It's interesting that the wind doesn't seem to affect the south pool nearly as badly. Forecast for tonight is a low of 14F (-10C) with a wind 14 to 20mph (23 to 32 kph) and the current dewpoint is 5f (-15C). Ouch.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #1436
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I suspect that the recent financial disputes are playing a role in this issue.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #1437
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
It's the famous Earthcam!
Pretty cool to finally see the real thing. Thanks for finding that Otie.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1438
Swiddle

Apparently they have ironed out the kinks in the heating system for the memorial pools. No ice (that I could tell) ever formed overnight at the bottom of the main voids in either pool, though there is some ice on the walls and perhaps a little in the inner voids. It's a huge difference from what we saw on Dec 18th. Both waterfalls were restarted by about 10am this morning. This is a relief.

There is probably nothing that can be done about water blowing out of the pools (and freezing on things when cold enough). Hopefully towers 2 & 3 and the hub (and Performing Arts center, or whatever goes there) will block much of the wind once built. My theory is the Pavilion is just the right height and in just the right position to disrupt wind blowing across the south pool, which isn't affected nearly as much as the north pool. Or perhaps tower 1, being so tall, helps bring stronger winds down to the ground around the north pool.
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1439
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

When are they gonna finish the roof?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1440
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

I personally think they need to add more color to the memorial. I understand its not a regular plaza and is meant for reflecting but I think it would be more inviting to add spme flowers in spring where all the dirt patches are around the trees and grass .
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
world trade center