daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1441
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritneySpearsRocks93 View Post
I personally think they need to add more color to the memorial. I understand its not a regular plaza and is meant for reflecting but I think it would be more inviting to add spme flowers in spring where all the dirt patches are around the trees and grass .
its middle of the winter here in NY, what do you expect?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1442
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
I personally think they need to add more color to the memorial. I understand its not a regular plaza and is meant for reflecting but I think it would be more inviting to add spme flowers in spring where all the dirt patches are around the trees and grass .
Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
its middle of the winter here in NY, what do you expect?
that's why he said spring..

I agree, some flowers in the grassy areas would add some nice colors to the grey
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1443
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
that's why he said spring..

I agree, some flowers in the grassy areas would add some nice colors to the grey
Lol thank you oli83, and yes webeagle12 I know its the middle of winter I live on Long Island, I was just saying it would be more inviting that when spring rolls around they put a bit more color in the plaza, the gray is a bit bland and I feel family members and visiters would like it more of there was more diversity around the plaza...maybe once the plaza opens on all sides and the gates come down they will better the landscapping. Just my opinion!
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1444
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Trees will eventually form a thick canopy, and surrounding buildings will play nicely with the Memorial. Shame they decided to scrap the sweet gum trees at the glade... Take a look to Peter Walker's site, you'll find it quite interesting.

image hosted on flickr

Engine 238 - Glenn E. Wilkinson by plemeljr, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1445
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Trees will eventually form a thick canopy, and surrounding buildings will play nicely with the Memorial. Shame they decided to scrap the sweet gum trees at the glade... Take a look to Peter Walker's site, you'll find it quite interesting.
I've never known anyone to plant sweet gum trees on purpose lol. Sweet gum balls are so annoying.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #1446
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
I've never known anyone to plant sweet gum trees on purpose lol. Sweet gum balls are so annoying.
Cool thing is the sweet gums that were going to go to this memorial are now going to the memorial in shanksville, where United 93 crashed! Remarkable how the trees have gone from having a home in the most urban place in the world to now having a home in the rural countryside at another 911 memorial.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1447
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

On Earthcam, I can see workers on the roof this morning. I hope this means they will be working to finish it!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1448
oli83

from wtc.com

Image credit: Joe Woolhead
Courtesy of: Silverstein Properties
Taken: January 04, 2012

btw, does anybody know when they plan to open the north-eastern part of the memorial to the public? Seems like in 2-3 months this part could be finished and trees planted in this area.. I wish they had continued the quarterly reports.. but with every new version, they are later than before, so that even their outlooks are useless

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1449
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

arent there plans for a performing arts center in that area?

i wonder if plans for that will delay the completion of that section.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1450
oli83

the Performing Arts Center (if they are going to build it) was planned where the temporary PATH entrance is now, see here (from: http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/wtc-site-plan.html:

the area I meant is the part with the treeless circle, east of the north pool. This part was delayed because of the Calatrava arches which had to be placed there before they could work on plaza level in this section.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1451
Otie
Researcher

And it may face another delay since DCM hasn't finished the welding work of many components of the PATH Hall roof.
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1452
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I doubt we'll see the NE corner opened till later this year. Now that the plaza is at least partially opened, it seems the political will to keep the fast paced progress going is gone.

But I've heard quotes from the PA saying the VSC is about a month ahead of schedule. So it's not a total clusterfu**.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1453
BritneySpearsRocks93

to be honest I'm just in complete shock how careless the P.A. is when it comes the plaza and museum..first off all the freaking north pool is like never on and there's some shit floating around the south pool...like are you serious? And they need to gt their shit together with the museum like I'm never one to complain and I've really never said anything about the delays but this is all so ridiculous now seriously...11 years later this year and 2 out of 5 towers will be topped out and not even the museum anymore most likely...I know I'm going to get a lot of backlash for this but come on I'm sure at this point almost everyone agrees...
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #1454
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

National September 11 Memorial & Museum by ne!l chen, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #1455
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

Quote:
to be honest I'm just in complete shock how careless the P.A. is when it comes the plaza and museum..first off all the freaking north pool is like never on and there's some shit floating around the south pool...like are you serious? And they need to gt their shit together with the museum like I'm never one to complain and I've really never said anything about the delays but this is all so ridiculous now seriously...11 years later this year and 2 out of 5 towers will be topped out and not even the museum anymore most likely...I know I'm going to get a lot of backlash for this but come on I'm sure at this point almost everyone agrees...
Well...umm..no, I don't. I think you should be happy that its actually getting built, why complain? Why is it so important to finish the museum now? Most people don't like walking alongside side a huge construction site to get to a museum. And yes only two 'new' towers will be topped out this year (7wtc is also complete) and where are you getting 5 from? There are only 4 under construction. And 11 years later? They didn't draw up the plans for all the towers straight away, and at this point in time it is amazing that even 2 supertalls(in the same development) are actually getting built with another 2 also under construction.

....Stop complaining and sit back and watch the construction
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1456
BritneySpearsRocks93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
Well...umm..no, I don't. I think you should be happy that its actually getting built, why complain? Why is it so important to finish the museum now? Most people don't like walking alongside side a huge construction site to get to a museum. And yes only two 'new' towers will be topped out this year (7wtc is also complete) and where are you getting 5 from? There are only 4 under construction. And 11 years later? They didn't draw up the plans for all the towers straight away, and at this point in time it is amazing that even 2 supertalls(in the same development) are actually getting built with another 2 also under construction.

....Stop complaining and sit back and watch the construction
Firstly, I meant 4 towers not 5 my mistake. Secondly, there were problems from the start with this new development which is why everyone has been complaining. Yes I'm happy two of them are nearing completion and yes that one is already open thanks to Larrry and it being off the actual grounds...however, they should have never approved such a complicated site plan that to be honest is so much more money then it would have been to just keep it more simple such as not reopenimg all these roads going through the site and I'm not saying "rebuild the twins!" but this wasn't smart on their part. It's ridiculous they can't get all towers up and running it just looks ridiculous and honestly who wants to see fences around the site for x amount more years. Lastly idk what your saying about people not wanting to walk past a construction site to get to the museum when it's underground and you have to walk through the plaza to get to it anyway, which is already open...the museum should open next year that and the plaza are the most important parts of the whole site itself...the P.A. is a joke.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #1457
oli83

I just noticed that this winter many of the trees haven't lost all their leaves, they only turned red. Is this because the trees are older now (and/or longer at the same place) or is it related to the mild weather this year? (Question for the botanists ;-) )
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1458
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

Rain Man by a rebel shot, on Flickr
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1459
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7925 by sdettling, on Flickr
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1460
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
I just noticed that this winter many of the trees haven't lost all their leaves, they only turned red. Is this because the trees are older now (and/or longer at the same place) or is it related to the mild weather this year? (Question for the botanists ;-) )
It has nothing to do with the weather, it hasn't been extremely mild and all the other trees around the city lost their leaves. Maybe something is wrong with these trees, I think someone said here that when trees are dying, they tend to hang on to their leaves rather than let them fall off. Hopefully these trees are okay, but I find it odd that they all still have leaves.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
world trade center