daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1481
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
It looks like they may have FINALLY started to clad the roof of the pavilion. Something's happening up there.
Wooh! but what the hell is taking them so freaking long to finish the last section of memorial plaza...they should get that open already!
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1482
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritneySpearsRocks93 View Post
Wooh! but what the hell is taking them so freaking long to finish the last section of memorial plaza...they should get that open already!
The progress was not bad there lately, they just need to place soil under the poured areas and put pavers on top, and of course trees have to be put in place.

What I was wondering is the order: on the rest of the plaza, they put in the soil first and then poured concrete on top, this time they have to pump(?) somehow the soil under the concrete.

Another thing is the black area next to the memorial pavilion, is there anything special underneath (that still has to be placed there), or why didn't they work on this area for so long?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1483
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1152

I have a question.

Did they put EVERY victims name on the metal sheets around the twin footprints, or are there some names left out/ no one from the victim's family reported it / didn't want to be shown on the sheets?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1484
BritneySpearsRocks93

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I have a question.

Did they put EVERY victims name on the metal sheets around the twin footprints, or are there some names left out/ no one from the victim's family reported it / didn't want to be shown on the sheets?

Thanks in advance.
Yes every persons name was placed around the north and south pools including the victims of the 93 bombing on the North pool.
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1485
BritneySpearsRocks93

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
The progress was not bad there lately, they just need to place soil under the poured areas and put pavers on top, and of course trees have to be put in place.

What I was wondering is the order: on the rest of the plaza, they put in the soil first and then poured concrete on top, this time they have to pump(?) somehow the soil under the concrete.

Another thing is the black area next to the memorial pavilion, is there anything special underneath (that still has to be placed there), or why didn't they work on this area for so long?
I know I just don't understand why they haven't done it yet, they should just get it done already it's only that little section:/ Same I wonder how the process will go.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1486
BritneySpearsRocks93

It also seems the grass is dead or something...it just won't turn green meanwhile the grass everywhere else has already
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #1487
Arctic howler

i love this memorial, but the bottom of the pools seem...a little dark, but they look amazing when the lights are on at night
Arctic howler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1488
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Today:

image hosted on flickr

9/11 Memorial Museum, World Trade Center, New York City by jag9889, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

9/11 Memorial Museum, World Trade Center, New York City by jag9889, on Flickr
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1489
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

World Trade Center Sphere Leaving Battery Park By End of April

April 5, 2012 7:51am | By Julie Shapiro, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

"FINANCIAL DISTRICT — A sculpture pulled from the rubble of the World Trade Center that became an iconic symbol following the 9/11 attacks is leaving lower Manhattan and headed into storage later this month, officials said.

Fritz Koenig's World Trade Center sphere sculpture — which once anchored the plaza between the Twin Towers and was dented but not destroyed on 9/11 — must leave its home in Battery Park by the end of the month to make way for a new public lawn and bike path, Warrie Price, president of the Battery Conservancy, said Wednesday night.

The Port Authority plans to haul the 25-foot sphere to JFK Airport's Hangar 17..."

"...One possibility the Port Authority privately floated last year was to put the sphere in the future Liberty Park, just south of the 9/11 Memorial, which won't open for another couple of years.

Many 9/11 family members opposed that plan, saying it would be more appropriate to return the sphere to its original location beside the Twin Towers, on what is now the 9/11 Memorial..."

spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1490
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 291

The grass is being resodded. I wonder if they will replace it every spring???
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1491
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
The grass is being resodded. I wonder if they will replace it every spring???
I was thinking the same thing. I think because it was placed in mid to late summer last year it didn't have time to settle in. Hopefully placing it early this Spring will help and they wont have to do it again next spring.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #1492
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

i also noticed all the trees are still dead, except for the survivor tree. was hoping to see a fully green memorial park in the summer... i wonder if i will be disappointed
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1493
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargarensis View Post
i also noticed all the trees are still dead, except for the survivor tree. was hoping to see a fully green memorial park in the summer... i wonder if i will be disappointed
It is too early and too cold for most trees to bloom here yet. Normal blooming is mid April. We had some bloom early due to a heat wave two weeks ago.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1494
600West218

When is the freaking Museum opening??? Its been standing there essentially completed for 9 months already.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1495
Gargarensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
It is too early and too cold for most trees to bloom here yet. Normal blooming is mid April. We had some bloom early due to a heat wave two weeks ago.
i really hope you are right... will be watching the memorial closely over the next following weeks.

to illustrate my concern:

the first image is from Oct last year, and the bottom image is from this month:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1496
Gargarensis

Quote:
When is the freaking Museum opening??? Its been standing there essentially completed for 9 months already.
the above-ground pavillion may appear to be complete, but the museum is really far from finished, especially the under ground portion. there was a dispute last year about financing for the construction, unfortunately this meant most of the work has stopped for the time being. which is a damn shame for a site of such importance
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1497
600West218

ok, thanks for the info.

On the blooming it does look worrying. Probably a third of the trees in the park by where I live have started to bloom. But the small size of these trees might be effecting it. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1498
BritneySpearsRocks93

Quote:
ok, thanks for the info.

On the blooming it does look worrying. Probably a third of the trees in the park by where I live have started to bloom. But the small size of these trees might be effecting it. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.
Not to worry, those kind of trees do not begin to bloom till around eary May..MAYBE a bit earlier...I have one of those trees in my yard and it hasn't produced anything really yet...they bloom later but also stick around later
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1499
Gargarensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritneySpearsRocks93 View Post
Not to worry, those kind of trees do not begin to bloom till around eary May..MAYBE a bit earlier...I have one of those trees in my yard and it hasn't produced anything really yet...they bloom later but also stick around later
thanks for the advice! go swamp white oaks!
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #1500
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 291

I see a hint of green on the swamp white oaks from the KPI TV cam. Also, note that they have finally dropped their dead leaves. After I posted the following (about the trees hanging on to the dead leaves well into winter), I started noticing marcescent trees all over the place where I work and live. They indeed were mostly young and mostly oaks. And they quickly dropped their dead leaves as soon as new leaves started to emerge.

Quote:
That was me, based on observations of trees in my yard. Doing a little digging, I see that this phenomenon is called marcescence, and can be caused by diseases, pests, or an early freeze. And for some species of trees, it's normal - especially in younger trees...

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8376489_s...ad-leaves.html

"Seedling and young oak trees may awkwardly and irregularly hold onto leaves into winter, but with maturity, they manage to drop leaves in late fall. An example is the swamp white oak (Quercus bicolor)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcescence
They did have to replace one tree (near the southwest corner of the south pool) last summer. Hopefully they won't have to replace any this year.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
world trade center