daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1661
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

You can actually see the bollard foundations!
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #1662
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Now if they would hurry up with the NE corner. Back in the spring I was thinking that they might as well and wait and plant those trees during late fall or winter, since that's the best time for transplanting trees. But at the rate they're going, it'll be next spring or summer before they get to them.
Seems like they continued the work here on the NE corner, at least they cleaned up some of the mess right next to the pavilion on the north side and distributed a part of the waterproofing(?) material.. maybe we see some new trees here soon (though I wouldn't bet )

edit: now they are even pouring concrete in one of the holes for the trees..

Last edited by oli83; October 26th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #1663
tallguy31

Likes (Received): 0

They also painted orange markings in the area today. The area has be cleaned up better than my kids do in their bedrooms. Come on trees.....get here soooooon!!!
tallguy31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #1664
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

This thread needs more updates... With more pictures.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1665
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Uh-oh. Looks like the bronze panels have a noticeable deflection, I hope engineers counted the live loads.

image hosted on flickr

_DSC5656 by USACAPOC, on Flickr
The curves look intentional, as if they were manufactured that way instead of having deformed after installation. Does anyone know for sure?
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1666
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 291

The photo below is from about a year ago and I can't make out any curves. Need to see better then/now photos to know for sure. I wonder if the metal has sagged from getting hot and soft in the summer (despite the internal cooling system), or if it's due to people leaning on the panels or simply the weight of the panels? Perhaps a combination of the three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1668
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
The photo below is from about a year ago and I can't make out any curves. Need to see better then/now photos to know for sure. I wonder if the metal has sagged from getting hot and soft in the summer (despite the internal cooling system), or if it's due to people leaning on the panels or simply the weight of the panels? Perhaps a combination of the three?
There appears to be curvature visible on the left side of that photo. But really it isn't possible to tell from that different angle on a low resolution photo. The photo where the curvature is prominent also looks like the convex underside is intentional and original.

That's just my speculation though. Has anyone seen it in person and noted if the curvature is original or a result of sagging?
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1669
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

When I was at the Memorial in April, the corners of the bronze plaques were already showing wear... maybe from people brushing by them. If that's the case, how long will they really last?
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1670
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Could the memorial overflow from hurricane sandy?
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #1671
MediaAnnalist

Likes (Received): 0

Just thought I would confirm that Ground Zero is underwater. We went pass about half and hour ago while setting up a live cross back to Australia and the water was at the depth of car tires. Unbelievable sight.
MediaAnnalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #1672
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
This thread needs more updates... With more pictures.
I think the ones you will see in the next days won´t be pretty
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1673
oli83

Not so good news..

from https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/n...ex.jsonp&_r=1&

Floodwater Pours Into 9/11 Museum, Hampering Further Work on the Site

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

Quote:
“It was shocking,” said Joseph C. Daniels, the president and chief executive of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.

He said he had gone to bed on Monday believing the museum was safe. He awakened on Tuesday to word that the site had flooded overnight. Later that day, he witnessed it himself from a balcony overlooking the enormous Foundation Hall on the main floor, now filled with thick, black water on which wood planks and other debris floated.

Four days earlier, Mr. Daniels had been standing in the hall with members of the memorial foundation board, showing them renderings and explaining which displays would go where. Construction was finally resuming on the museum after the resolution of a protracted financing dispute between the foundation, of which Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is chairman, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is partly controlled by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. The authority owns the World Trade Center site and is building the museum on behalf of the foundation.

The view from the balcony showed water reaching almost to the top of the fire truck used by Engine Company 21 to respond to the attack in 2001, and the truck on which Ladder Company 3 arrived. A Fire Department ambulance was also surrounded with water. All three had been shrink-wrapped in plastic before they were installed in the museum. With the floodwaters still standing, there was no way on Friday to assess how much additional damage the already battered vehicles had sustained, or whether the plastic enclosure had protected them.

The archipelago of partly submerged artifacts includes the last column of the original twin towers. This 58-ton piece, more than 36 feet high, was removed with funereal ceremony in May 2002 to symbolize the end of the first phase of recovery, the clearance of the World Trade Center site. It was then stored in a climate-controlled area of Hangar 17 at Kennedy International Airport while undergoing conservation. It is still in a climate-controlled enclosure, so its condition has not been assessed. Many of the personal effects that had been taped to the column were removed long ago for safekeeping. But the column is also covered in spray-painted graffiti from first responders, rescuers and recovery workers.

The last column, the steel cross, the damaged vehicles and the so-called survivors’ stairway were all hoisted down into the subterranean museum during the early phases of construction. They could not have been moved in after the completion of the memorial plaza, which doubles as the museum rooftop.

Mr. Daniels said Friday that the pumping out of the museum was “fully under way,” but that it was too early to say when construction might resume or, for that matter, when the Sept. 11 memorial might reopen to visitors.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1674
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 291

I think the construction delay (due to the money dispute) turned out to be a blessing. If the museum had opened this September, then there would have been much more down there to be damaged/destroyed by the water.

Also, I hope salt water didn't reach the roots of the trees. If it did, at least the trees are going dormant now and we have all winter and early spring for rain/snow/irrigation to wash away the salt.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #1675
Germain_7

Likes (Received): 62

Wow..that's a huge improvement on that site.. Last time I visited, 'twas still fenced around.. Anyway, I think they might open the museum after elections... or hopefully before Christmas season.. Do you think they would decorate this area like Rockefeller?
Germain_7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1676
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

New York Times

Quote:

November 4, 2012

Unfinished 9/11 Museum Is Flooded

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

The West Chamber of the National September 11 Memorial Museum in 2010, with the last column removed from the World Trade Center site after 9/11 visible at left, under wraps. About 70 feet below street level, the chamber was badly flooded.

The main floor of the National September 11 Memorial Museum at the World Trade Center is flooded with at least five feet of water.

The extent of the damage is not clear. The most important and vulnerable of the artifacts on the floor is the last column left standing from the twin towers, which is covered with graffiti spray-painted by first responders, rescuers and recovery workers.

A spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls the trade center site, said Thursday that it was too early to tell how much of the last column was under water. The spokeswoman, Lisa MacSpadden, said officials “will have to assess once the pumping is complete.”

Focused on the recovery efforts after Hurricane Sandy, officials from the Port Authority and the museum’s foundation would discuss the extent of flooding and possible damage.

But because construction has been delayed by a protracted financing dispute between the Port Authority and the memorial foundation that was not resolved until Sept. 10, the museum is nowhere near completion.

That means there may be a chance to build in measures to safeguard the collection and perhaps to rethink how many artifacts ought to be placed on the main floor, which is 68 feet below the memorial plaza.

[...]
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1677
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

I sense a bot.
On topic. I guess the financial disputes may have saved a lot of items and construction that would have otherwise been in place. Thanks for pointing out that rare bright spot.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1678
steveve

Likes (Received): 157

by me:

image hosted on flickr
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #1679
oli83

The memorial plaza is open again for visitors: https://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

The 9/11 Memorial is open to visitors after closures because of the severe weather Sandy caused. While recovery efforts continue, please be aware of the following temporary changes:
• The Memorial will operate under modified daily hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Previously reserved passes for dates and times affected by closures will be honored during temporary operations.
• New passes will temporarily be unavailable online or at the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site. Visitors will be accommodated on a first-come, first served basis at our entry.
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1680
oli83

from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...716933040.html

Protecting 9/11 Artifacts From Floods
By JENNIFER MALONEY

... The floodwater poured sideways into the museum from a vehicle screening center under construction just to the south of the museum, Port Authority officials said. The open site was vulnerable to Sandy's storm surge because it didn't have a roof, said Steve Plate, the Port Authority's director of World Trade Center construction.

The World Trade Center site's design includes elements that should help protect against flooding, but the Port Authority is re-evaluating that design because of Sandy, Mr. Plate said through a spokesman. "As we continue our assessments, we will implement additional strategic flood-mitigation efforts," he said.

One open question is whether the storm will further push back the museum's opening date. Officials who once hoped to launch the museum last September had to push the date back to late 2013 or early 2014 because of disputes between the mayor and the governors of New York and New Jersey over construction costs and control of the site. The storm did cause construction setbacks—some sheet rock will have to be torn out and replaced, and construction lifts were damaged. But the overall impact isn't clear.

The 9/11 Memorial Plaza survived the storm virtually untouched, though the above-ground visitors center and security screening room were hard hit. The visitors center remains closed, but visitors are being allowed onto the plaza through a temporary screening center.

The 9/11 Museum didn't have specific flood safeguards for the large artifacts in an underground exhibition space, but, having already survived the terrorist attack, they were durable. Firetrucks and an ambulance were shrink-wrapped to protect them from construction. The Last Column was inside a wooden enclosure that didn't keep the floodwater out. Though it previously was covered in mementos and posters, those had been removed and placed in storage, said Alice Greenwald, director of the museum.

The damage to the large objects is minimal and can be reversed, she said. The vast majority of the water had been pumped out by last Monday. Conservators are now working to dehumidify the museum and clean off flash rusting and corrosion from the steel beams, she said. When she saw the Last Column for the first time after the flood, "I had tears in my eyes," Ms. Greenwald said.

The personal messages scratched and drawn in marker were still there, "completely intact," she said. The high water mark rested just below the signatures of the city's Department of Design and Construction—the last group to sign the column.

Tags
world trade center