daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Amsterdam has a metro as well!!!

Looking through this section, I couldn't find any thread dedicated to the Amsterdam metro. That's rather odd, considering the facts that Amsterdam is one of the most popular European tourist destinations (free drugs, sex, rock and roll! ) and that I've found threads dealing with systems in cities I never even heard of...

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I'll start a thread about Amsterdam's metro system - my home town, actually.

Amsterdam's system is most interesting because of its history. Back in the sixties, transport officials and townsmen planned a huge network:

It should be completed by 2000, but that obviously never happened. Soaring construction costs, student revolts and even something resembling a civil war in the Nieuwmarkt area, where a whole historic quarter had to be demolished to make way for the subway, eventually led to the demise of the subway plan. Only in 1991 a new branch line opened, that linked the town of Amstelveen to the already existing line. This wasn't even a metro line proper, but a light rail line, which the Dutch call 'sneltram'. The use of the word 'tram' actually was a politically correct term - in no way an indication should be made to the idea of a full metro (due to its history).
In 1997 another new line opened which avoided the city center altogether and initially was referred to as a 'sneltram' line as well. It turned out to be a full metro line and today, this is the busiest line of the system with some 80.000 passengers a day.
In 2003, Amsterdam finally seemed to have gotten over its metro trauma. Construction of the new North-South line began, cutting right through the city center and scheduled for completion in 2011 2012. What the future might hold is uncertain - but proposals have been made to construct an east-west line, linking the Lelylaan station (train and metro) in the west to the Muiderpoort station (train only) in the east. No dates or other details are known about this line, though. It should use the never used lower level of the Weesperplein metro station.

This is what the system looks like today (and do pay attention to the name at the bottom right):

...and this is a map showing what the system might have looked like, had it been finished according to the original plans (click to enlarge):

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Blue Viking

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
In 2003, Amsterdam finally seemed to have gotten over its metro trauma. Construction of the new North-South line began, cutting right through the city center and scheduled for completion in 2011 2012. What the future might hold is uncertain - but proposals have been made to construct an east-west line, linking the Lelylaan station (train and metro) in the west to the Muiderpoort station (train only) in the east. No dates or other details are known about this line, though. It should use the never used lower level of the Weesperplein metro station.

This is what the system looks like today (and do pay attention to the name at the bottom right):

When I was in Amsterdam in May, the blue line didn't look completed. Rokin was a huge building site. So I guess the blue line is the unfinished north-south line that you mention. That aside, this is very interesting reading. I remember seeing a documentary about the riots in the sixties. That was really crazy. Nimbys gone wild!
Blue Viking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

good job Alargule

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Viking
When I was in Amsterdam in May, the blue line didn't look completed. Rokin was a huge building site. So I guess the blue line is the unfinished north-south line that you mention. That aside, this is very interesting reading. I remember seeing a documentary about the riots in the sixties. That was really crazy. Nimbys gone wild!
Yep, the blue line is the N-S line. And those 'nimby's'...well, can't blame them. It wasn't just their backyards where the line was being built, but their whole houses! That neighbourhood was considered of significant historical interest, especially since it used to be the main Jewish quarter of Amsterdam. That was: before the nazi's came and ethnically cleansed the whole neighbourhood...
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Nemo

Likes (Received): 529

@BLUE VIKING
True, the blue line represents the city's ambitious north-south-line which is
under construction now and will be completed and operational around 2011. Its a special project, because Amsterdams 17th century innercity is built on
a swamp and the tunnel will be drilled underneath the fragile architecture. Thats why some stations will be as deep as 35 metres under ground level.

Its a huge project that includes a major extension of the old Central Station
and a large TGV/HSL station on the developing south-axis with its new highrise cluster.

The north-south line is just the beginning, because in the near future there will be extensions to Schiphol airport and extensions in the northern suburbs
of Amsterdam.

South-Axis

Central Station (CS)

CS

CS metro

Vijzelgracht

Ceintuurbaan

Nemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
The north-south line is just the beginning, because in the near future there will be extensions to Schiphol airport and extensions in the northern suburbs
of Amsterdam.
Although the extension to Schiphol is likely to happen, I don't think we'll ever see the line extended toward the north - or it should be via a new route that links Zaandam to the line. Purmerend has explicitly stated it doesn't want to co-operate in extended the line. Neither do I see any reason to do it: at present, there's a huge and frequent bus net that serves Purmerend and feeds directly into the central station.
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 216

In a word : wow.

This system looks great, the stations look superb.

Thanks for a very imformative thread Alargule, I thought the UK had it bad in terms of actually getting any thing built with our terrible planning laws but you guys have it bad as well.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Flyer
In a word : wow.

This system looks great, the stations look superb.
Just wait till you see the stations on the existing lines, most are very far from superb. Most are are even rubbish, a few years back there was a project called Metromorfose to completely renovate the stations that were build in the seventies. But it was cancelled because of budget problems, it turned out to be far to expensive. Now they're beginning to renovate the stations in less drastic but cheaper way.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #9
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

Anyone got pics of the existing stations for all of us who haven't visited Amsterdam?

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #10
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

Tram picture

Metro alike station on tram line 26

The tram tunnel ;

Nice trambridges on Line 26

This is all of my pics from Amsterdam. Taken with my Nokia N70 mobilephone.
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #11
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Looks great. Were the high costs mainly due to the soil conditions?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #12
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

cool

I watched a show on the discovery channel about two months ago all about the constrructionm etc of the amsterdam subway and the stuff they kept finding while digging like medevial things and such - little shards or artifacts of things
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #13
[email protected]
Next Generation Looney

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule

What the... you actually made a map for Robert Schwandl's UrbanRail.Net? Awesome! I guess that working together with the great map maker, the godfather of UrbanRail, is a dream for all of us tram/metro freaks... so congratulations!
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Well, to be honest: I didn't make that map entirely from scratch, but I based it on the already existing map he (or one of his colleagues) had made.
When the IJtram opened (line 26), I thought it should appear on the map as well, since Urbanrail does not only treat full metro systems, but systems with shared metro/tram characteristics as well. And the IJtram has quite some metro characteristics: it runs on a reserved track for most of its length, uses a 1 mile long tram tunnel and has a metro-like station 'Rietlandpark' (as can be seen at AmiDelf's photo). Originally, it should have been a full metro line: there even is an unused tunnel section at the northern side of the Central Station that should have been the underground terminus for this line.
So, all the metro lines and rail lines you can see on that map were made by Urbanrail; I only drew in line 26...
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Looks great. Were the high costs mainly due to the soil conditions?
No. Inflation, oil crises and wrong cost calculations led to the high construction costs.
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #16
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

I'm a bit confused. When you say metro, do you mean a metro of trams? When I was in Amsterdam in Easter we used the trams quite alot, but no underground subways? The blue line looks very exciting, and there was alot of work happening around Centraal Station.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #17
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

A real metro, running underground in the city centre and on a viaduct in the surrounding area.
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM   #18
www.Rotterdam.nl

Likes (Received): 4

The Green, Red and Yellow lines are full metro. The new blue 'North-South' line is under construction. The Purple and orange lines are metro like 'Sneltrams' (quick-trams).
www.Rotterdam.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #19
jeremy1897

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
What the... you actually made a map for Robert Schwandl's UrbanRail.Net? Awesome! I guess that working together with the great map maker, the godfather of UrbanRail, is a dream for all of us tram/metro freaks... so congratulations!
Go to the Hong Kong or Shenzhen page of UrbanRail.Net , and look for the interactive integrated rail map for the 2 cities....
Or simply click http://de.geocities.com/m_hong_kong/HK.swf

And i did make the map from scratch.

Last edited by jeremy1897; August 22nd, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
jeremy1897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM   #20
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Looks nice! Unfortunately, I don't know how to make Flash-animation. Otherwise, it'd be nice to make a historical map for the Amsterdam metro, showing exactly when certain stretches were opened/will open.

Tags
amsterdam, public transport