daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #181
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
The status is that it would be a waste of money. There are already train tracks parallel to that proposed metro line.

Extending the metro towards Amstelveen, replacing the (future) tramlines there, makes much more sense.
But isn't the extension plan to have the line reach Schiphol from the southeast, passing through inhabited areas and the industrial park out there?

=============
Another question: are there any plans to convert that "museum line" into a regular tram line?

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #182
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6091

Yeah well there were plans... in 1968 (pdf)

But I think the order of priority of building new lines is more along the lines of this:
1 Line to Amstelveen
2 Line to Almere (incl. IJburg?)
3 East-West Line
etc.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #183
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

No, there had been some ideas to connect the line to Schiphol through Amstelveen, but that was never very serious because it is the connection that makes the least sense of the 3 options.

Last edited by Silly_Walks; December 16th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #184
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Yeah well there were plans... in 1968 (pdf)

But I think the order of priority of building new lines is more along the lines of this:
1 Line to Amstelveen
2 Line to Almere (incl. IJburg?)
3 East-West Line
etc.
Extending from Isolatorweg to Noorderpark should be on that list.
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #185
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2091

I'm sorry to be a party pooper guys, but any addition to the metro network after the opening of the Noord/Zuidlijn in the foreseeable future belongs to the realm of wishful thinking...

Planning for the next years/decades focuses primarily on boosting the current bus and tramway network. All documents concerning these plans can be found here (in Dutch).
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #186
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Planning for the next years/decades focuses primarily on boosting the current bus and tramway network. All documents concerning these plans can be found here (in Dutch).
Itīs like Amsterdam has enough trams. There is a real demand for fast rail-sercvice to outer suburbs. Anyway the english document clearly shows the option of extending Nort-South-Metro on sneltram-route to Amstelveen. This seems to have a certain priority because there is a need and itīs easy to build. The east-west-metro to Shiphol (probably via Osdorp) is just a sketch.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #187
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Sorry, but that's simply not true (anymore). Cost estimates made in 2011 showed that extending the Noord/Zuidlijn to Amstelveen would cost (at least) 800 million euros. That's money the city and state don't have/aren't willing to spend on yet another metro project in the foreseeable future. The Amstelveen line will - unfortunately - be curtailed between Amstelveen city center and Zuid station instead - effectively meaning one less direct connection to the city center of Amsterdam.

Whether you like it or not - the money for big projects simply isn't available at this moment. A heavy focus on updating the current tramway network - which will be many times cheaper and can lead to significant improvements in a much shorter time periode (10-15 years from now) - is the only viable option right now.
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #188
tunnel owl

Quote:
Whether you like it or not - the money for big projects simply isn't available at this moment. A heavy focus on updating the current tramway network - which will be many times cheaper and can lead to significant improvements in a much shorter time periode (10-15 years from now) - is the only viable option right now.
As I wrote in my last post... metro has a completely different task as tram. Amsterdam metro beneath NS is the only thing to let commmuters travel into Amsterdam in an attractive time. Trams are for inner-city traffic in Amsterdam. So what you wrote is: Donīt have the money for TV-set, bought a radio. It makes no sense, sorry to say this.

In the last 20 years dutch cities of Rotterdam and Amsterdam made big projects for tram and they swared, no money would be spend in metro-construction. Remember Amsterdam 20 years ago, now it has itīs new metro. I donīt take any big project-paper in Amsterdam for serious, pointless if itīs about metro or tram.

Iīm pretty sure, that when this metro is in service there will be a strong political demand for extensions. Why that huge amount of money spend for a inner-city metro with big distances between stations? Itīs the first step of the real needed North-south heavy-rail-axis in this city.

Amsterdam tram is the most expensive transport-mode concerning EUR/pass. km. They should improve that. But running through narrow streets without space for longer trams... I donīt believe in LRT-like service, itīs a classic tram.

Kind regards
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #189
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Hey, don't shoot the messenger...I agree with your point of view completely, but I'm just trying to sketch the current situation, both political and financial.

Furthermore, the decision to construct the Noord/Zuidlijn was taken over ten years ago, in a completely different political and financial era. Expectations were high: finished in 2011 at a cost of 'merely' 1,4 bln euros, this line would carry over 200.000 passengers each day and help spur development of both the city center as well as the Zuidas CBD.

Now, this line won't be finished before 2017, at a cost of over 3 bln. Delays, cost overruns, a political landscape that has changed completely, a bad reputation for the project - though it has improved in recent years - and a financial crisis have changed the game. This line probably won't carry the projected amount of passengers. Development of the Zuidas CBD has been downscaled significantly. Further extension projects to Amstelveen have been shelved indefinitely due to high cost estimates.

Indeed you're right: they couldn't afford a tv so they bought a radio instead. A bad choice for the long term, but no short term minded politician will call for a metro extension after completion of the Noord/Zuidlijn...that's something I'm certain of.

Last edited by Alargule; December 17th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #190
tunnel owl

Quote:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger...
Sorry for this, didnīt meant it that way. Metro has a bad reputation in Amsterdam since the first line was build. Itīs a wonder, that they got along with the second line. I donīt know what will happen to those tram-plans and basically trams should not be neglected in Amsterdam.

Personally I suppose that once the NS-metro opened the sneltram to Amstelveen will get an additional load, maybe hardly to manage. But youīre right concerning cost overruns. At this point the Netherlands keep in touch with Germany. The only understandable argument against metro is that not that itīs expensive but you begin a project and finally end up with the double amount of money. As a politician I would suspect those projects, too. Sad but true...

Kind regards
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #191
Suburbanist
on the road

Which of the services to Amstelveen will be curtailed? The #5 tram or the #51 light metro (e.g., the ones running on low or high platforms)?

Will they standardize platform heights on that sector with dual-platform height (and dual OV-chipkaart use system)?
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #192
Silly_Walks

Metro will disappear from Amstelveen. It will become tram-only, although it will be sped up and will still have LRT characteristics. Platforms will all be low.
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #193
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Metro will disappear from Amstelveen. It will become tram-only, although it will be sped up and will still have LRT characteristics. Platforms will all be low.
So will a curtailed metro service run from A'dam Centraal to A'dam Zuid? Or will this metro connection disappear and be closed to traffic (Sparkleweg <=> Overamstel)
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #194
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Future (proposed) services are:

-line 5: same as now, running from Amstelveen centre to Amsterdam central station
-line 51: running between Amstelveen Westwijk and Amsterdam Zuid - curtailed between Zuid and CS via Amstel; connection replaced by Noord/Zuidlijn Noord-Amsterdam Zuid
- a new metro service Isolatorweg-CS, running parallel to line 50 between Isolatorweg and Overamstel and replacing the curtailed 51 service between Overamstel and CS.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #195
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Future (proposed) services are:

-line 5: same as now, running from Amstelveen centre to Amsterdam central station
-line 51: running between Amstelveen Westwijk and Amsterdam Zuid - curtailed between Zuid and CS via Amstel; connection replaced by Noord/Zuidlijn Noord-Amsterdam Zuid
- a new metro service Isolatorweg-CS, running parallel to line 50 between Isolatorweg and Overamstel and replacing the curtailed 51 service between Overamstel and CS.
Maybe these changes will open the way for a future "ring" project connecting Isolatorweg to A'dam Centraal with two new stations on Westerpark and Oranjestraat.
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #196
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Maybe these changes will open the way for a future "ring" project connecting Isolatorweg to A'dam Centraal with two new stations on Westerpark and Oranjestraat.
That connection doesn't make a lot of sense, as previous studies have already concluded. An extension from Isolatorweg to Noorderpark would be far more beneficial.
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #197
MrAronymous

Vijzelgracht Station from high to low: Huge concrete wall, platform, maintenance facility. The escalators will go down this sight line.

Roof got poured near Europaplein

Moving walkways being put in place at Central Station

http://www.hierzijnwij.nu/
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #198
MrAronymous

Little update

Eastern metro entrance at Centraal Station has been opened to the public today.
It gives you an impression of what the other entrances and ticket hall will eventually look like.

There are some concept images of the East Line renovation on the first page of this thread (or click here) but they aren't up to date anymore.
The East Line underground stations can best be discribed: very 70's, brutalist, dark and sometimes claustrofobic. Here are some more recent concept pics:

These are a bit older but still quite relevant:

Wibautstraat transfer hall and platforms^

Wibautstraat transfer hall^

Images by hierzijnwij.nu and Group A/Fabrique

SAS 16 liked this post
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #199
Suburbanist
on the road

I understand the whole language issues, but I still think in Amsterdam CS metro station "uitgang" is a bit confusing for tourists (of which there are many!). It wouldn't hurt add "Exit" on a smaller font in that sign.

Old January 26th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #200
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

I think the green sign is too obvious for that, isnt it?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amsterdam, public transport