daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2015, 08:04 PM   #281
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Happy 2015. Here's what happened recently:

Some new artist impressions of the metro renovations have been put up on Flickr. As well as a new video of Weesperplein station.
They're also placing new information signs around the existing metro entrances:

station Weesperplein en omgeving-14 by Noord/Zuidlijn, on Flickr

The press made a first "metro ride" (on a utility vehicle):

Noord
They have started working on Noord station bus station.

Now/Future:

Station Noord artist impression 14 by Noord/Zuidlijn, on Flickr
New artist impressions:

Photos by Busfotodotnl/City of Amsterdam

The metro station hall will be split-level. Bus station will be 1 floor higher and will be on the same level on the road in the (first) picture above.

A preview of what's to come; Harmen Liemburg's tile artwork that will go on the platform.

Local TV came and see what's going on at Central Station (New concourses, new metro line, new bus station, new car tunnel). It's in Dutch of course but might be fun to watch regardless:

The footage was taken before the opening of the bus station on December 15th:

Busstation IJsei by tramlijn30, on Flickr

GVB Amsterdam 1419, Lijn 33 en 1407, Lijn 35, Busstation IJSEI (2014) by Library of Amsterdam Public Transport, on Flickr

Vijzelgracht is almost relieved of its building site.

Nice new pictures of De Pijp station.

Taken from the ticket hall/mezzanine down to the two stacked platforms. Escalators will run along the wall. Dark part is track bed.

Ticket hall and entrance at Albert Cuypstraat

Toegang Albert Cuijpmarkt station De Pijp by Noord/Zuidlijn, on Flickr

Near Europaplein station the location of the former TBM shaft has been closed and the area has been renewed. Scheldeplein; RAI Convention Center in the left top corner:

In the station itself works continue:

Station Europaplein by Noord/Zuidlijn, on Flickr

Toegang station Europaplein by Noord/Zuidlijn, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:10 PM   #282
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

I'll try to check the line out this next summer on that "open day" they have for infrastructure works.
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:14 PM   #283
MrAronymous

Saturday June 13. dagvandebouw.nl
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #284
Suburbanist
on the road

GVB wants a metro to Schiphol

I'm not the only one thinking on this, GVB head agrees with the idea

Quote:
Much more money must be invested in public transport in the Amsterdam region, with an expansion of the metro network to Schiphol airport as a priority, the Amsterdam transport company GVB CEO said on Tuesday.

Alexandra van Huffelen wants a new metro line built from the IJburg district through Osdorp and the Reiker polder to Schiphol. The current train connection with the airport is no longer sufficient, she told the Financieele Dagblad.

‘Passenger numbers are growing and not everyone wants to end up at the central station or Amsterdam-Zuid.’ An east-west line would also provide public transport to areas not yet reached by metro, she said.

The problems with the north-south line currently being constructed under the city have made the council wary of new public transport initiatives, Van Huffelen says. ‘Despite this debacle, it is absolutely time to take new steps,’ . ‘We now know how to do dig a tunnel and this is knowledge we must use.’ Billions of euros will be necessary, but Van Huffelen says the European central bank’s plans for quantitative easing mean that interest rates will be low and money for large infrastructure projects will never have been cheaper.
Source

dimlys1994, metr0p0litain liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #285
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

That's not even considering other forms of financing.
If other forms of financing are to be heavily included a metroline of 100+km could be just a couple of billion for the state/local government and the rest for corps, local business initiatives, crowd-funding, and other options.
Using it as A means of transport for businesses e.g., making metrostops pick-up/distri-points for a lot of stuff saves energy, travel-time, shopping/livingspace, distribution difficulties above ground, et cetera, et cetera,....

I'm not even including ideas from Singapore, Tokyo or Seoul at this point, if I would combine such ideas, the value of such A line would soon rise fly over the building costs..

One of the very few advantages of being behind on (some) technologies; you -as society/company/governmental organisation- can leapfrog over currently seemingly "progressive" systems by introducing (multiple) simple, though very effective measures in one building project.

N.b: though I tried to keep grammar- and spellingerrors to A minimum, could very well be I did include quite A few, I do however, sincerly apollogise to those who find it annoying and/or very disturbing to come across these langual mishaps.

Last edited by Dooie_Amsterdammert; February 18th, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #286
Suburbanist
on the road

I think Amsterdam needs to expand, annexing two minor neighboring municipalities of Ouderkerk a/d Amstel and Abcoude, and build a second subway (though mostly elevated) line linking with Amstelveen and Schiphol as well.
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #287
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Elevation & metro/subway/tube/underground is an absolute no-go..

The Netherlands is filled up with crap like lazy architecture, infrastructure, useless roads/highways, overloads of officespace and malls as is, holland/the netherlands should do A freightening shrinkdown on built-up footprint.

According to Dutch environmental planning & assessment agency: 'Environmental Assessment Agency' pbl

roughly 6% is built-up e.g; roads, buildings, other forms of infrastructure.

Which might not seem like much space at all, untill one compares the built-up areas in the '70-ties to what the situation is right now.
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #288
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Who cares where the rural areas are as long as there are enough rural areas somewhere to produce food for everyone?

Magistraler liked this post
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #289
MrAronymous

I do.

Road_UK liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #290
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Who cares where the rural areas are as long as there are enough rural areas somewhere to produce food for everyone?
One could produce food within cities or harbour areas.. /really off-topic
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #291
Suburbanist
on the road

Amsterdam needs to grow. Those farms on the Southeast can go away and give place to new housing and office developments, and parks/urban forests, supported by a new subway line
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #292
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Amsterdam needs to grow. Those farms on the Southeast can go away and give place to new housing and office developments, and parks/urban forests, supported by a new subway line
New housing/office space/retail space/local hotel(s)/housing for the elderly/"care" apartments/industrial complexes/ flexible buildings can be built on failed built-up areas from the past, like larger parts of almere, beverwijk, castricum, heemskerk, hilversum, hoofddorp, huizen, ijmuiden, purmerend, nieuw-vennep, volendam and zandvoort..

I'd rather see most of these communities focus on building around (future) metro/subway stops than "vinex'ing" their ass off in proclaimed "competition" with their next door town/city/province/country/any part of the planet..
And start shrinking down for A bit.
As for Amsterdam, a few inner-city parks extra in the older western, eastern & southern suburbs wouldn't hurt..

Makes first/last mile travelling & deliveries that much more effective eventhough large amounts of people/amenities/companies/other stuff* still are spread throughout the metropolitan area..

*: Cross out the option(s) that do not seem fit.

'PHS' is a real old and backward idea of effective transport. (Which it isn't nor will it ever be..)

Link to wikiarticles:

PHS.. As it turns out wikipedia does not have an article on the subject, so i'll post small summary of what it means and what it's current status is.
PHS stands for: 'Program High(ly)-frequent Spoor (which means rail in dutch)

It is A 'frequent train program' by the dutch railway company 'NS', when it was initially presented in the nineties, it was proclaimed to be a solution for traintravelers not to wait longer than 10 minutes for a train in the same direction.

However, as NS ran into difficulties during transition period of the ticketingsystem (paper->e-ticket), not owning the tracks anymore because of eu regulations, a low number of spare trains, quite a few stations that have been modified including local tracks and difficulties in track maintenance done by the seperated railtrack company called 'prorail'
phs went sideways.. there's -at least to my recollection-, only 2 maybe 3 routes on which 'phs' seems to be working nowadays.

These routes are:

Amsterdam-Utrecht
Amsterdam-Den Hague/Rotterdam.

Note:
As all information concerning 'phs' & it's status have been coming out of my brain without external confirmation, i'm pretty sure the information is not 100% factual and i don't mind being corrected by (dutch)forummers correcting/adding additional info.

Vinex

Last edited by Dooie_Amsterdammert; February 20th, 2015 at 03:22 AM. Reason: he he, eindelijk slapen.. (**** wikipedia.. grmbl..)
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #293
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Pffff...maybe we should annex Tilburg first. Plenty of room and untermenschen there.

Road_UK liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #294
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
I think Amsterdam needs to expand, annexing two minor neighboring municipalities of Ouderkerk a/d Amstel and Abcoude, and build a second subway (though mostly elevated) line linking with Amstelveen and Schiphol as well.

Quote:
Can you PLEASE just go away?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #295
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

U/C Amsterdam Centraal Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Gisteren tijdens de Diepbouwmeet.

IMG_2906 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_2880 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_2945 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_3043 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_3052 by Momo1435, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:14 PM   #296
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
One issue I never understood is why does GVB keep a conductor on trams?

Dutch labor costs are quite expensive, and I can't fathom a reason for a conductor to be present on trams, on this and age of OV-Chipkaart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
If you had been here when there wasn't a conductor, you would have understood.

The honor system did not work in Amsterdam trams, to put it mildly, and having everybody pass by the driver would cause too much time wasted at stops.
By having a conductor the tram is much safer. The conductor can also provide service for tourist. Also with a conductor on the tram there would be less vandalism.

The conductor can control the check-in of all the passengers. The tramlines 5, 16 and 24, 30% of the passengers doesn't check-in because these trams doesn't have a conductor. The tramlines 5, 16 and are also knowed as the pick-pockets-trams. Many tourist are beeing pick-pockets on these lines.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM   #297
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Conductors are nowhere to be found on metro trains and buses, and those modes of transport don't seem to suffer from significantly higher incident rates regarding anti-social behaviour or vandalism. The main reason for having conductors on trams seems to be the prevention of fare dodging. Which makes it a financial motive primarily: if the increased incomes gained from reducing/eliminating fare dodging are higher than the additional costs of an extra conductor on board each tram, that would be a good motivation for the added expenses. Might also be the reason why we never saw conductors on buses: as bus lines usually carry far less people than tram lines, the additional cost of an extra conductor would be more than the expected gain on reducing fare dodging.

And the reason why pickpockets are more active on certain lines than others might also be because those tram lines are more heavily used by tourists, who generally carry around more cash and other valuables than your everyday commuter or student. I for one don't believe the pickpocket guild will be scared away by an extra conductor on board a busy tram.

suasion liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM   #298
MiaM

Pick-pocketing and vandalism can to a great extent be reduced by on-board CCTV...

... but it will probably not do anything on fare dodging.

How is those 30% not checking in divided by fare dodgers and people with a ticket that's valid without checking in?

(I assume that you cannot legally be considered a fare dodger if you have some kind of valid periodic ticket on your OV-chipkaart (like a day card or siminlar)?)

P.S. the financial issue is complicated by the fact that it's not the conductors wages that counts in but the total running speed can be lower when people are only allowed to enter on one or two doors; thus requiering more trams and more drivers (and more conductors) to move the same amount of people.
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #299
MrAronymous

Quote:
Pick-pocketing and vandalism can to a great extent be reduced by on-board CCTV...
Not really sure about this one.

Quote:
How is those 30% not checking in divided by fare dodgers and people with a ticket that's valid without checking in?

(I assume that you cannot legally be considered a fare dodger if you have some kind of valid periodic ticket on your OV-chipkaart (like a day card or siminlar)?)
Without validating it's not valid. So not validating automatically makes you a fare-dodger, for enforcement purposes.

Quote:
P.S. the financial issue is complicated by the fact that it's not the conductors wages that counts in but the total running speed can be lower when people are only allowed to enter on one or two doors; thus requiering more trams and more drivers (and more conductors) to move the same amount of people.
Don't you think the conductor pays for themselves? 30% Less people checking in and no on board service or direct surveillance.
Also I think the time gained with boarding on all doors is lost when you have to wait for people exiting out of all doors first. So it doesn't really make a difference.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #300
MiaM

What does dutch law say about an already activated day card it the OV-chipkaart isn't validated?

I don't "think" anything. To measure is to know. The fare dodge percentage is also dependent on how often you do random checks of everyones tickets and what the fine is for a fare dodger.

IIRC correctly the modern trams in Amsterdam has five doors, four of them is rather wide and one rather narrow. With entry via one wide (conductor) and one narrow (driver) door and exit via three wide doors there must of course be a bit more capacity to exit than to enter the trams. This would add up to longer time spent for people boarding the trams.

However this is only really valid on the places where many people enter the tram at the same time AND the place isn't the start of the line. As the tram anyway stands still for a while at centraal station there is no real problem with boarding time there. How many passengers do usually board the trams at the other places where many enter the trams?

Tags
amsterdam, public transport