daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #501
fskobic
jarunac

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Well we have the national OV-chipkaart fare card. But otherwise, no. The only thing that they're thinking about is integrating fare calculation. So that would mean only having to tap in at the beginning of your trip an tapping out at the end. Now you have to tap out and in every time you switch mode (bus, tram, metro) or company (train).
How would that work if it wasn't for integrated tariffs? Let's say I live in Buitenveldert. I take the bus (check in) to Amsterdam Zuid then take something (either the metro or train or bus) to get to Haarlem Centraal, and then take another local bus to get from Haarlem Centraal to a neighborhood in Haarlem, where I check out. How would they know if I took the train (and give the money to NS), or the metro (to GVB) or the bus (to Connexxion)?

It is a bit of a hassle, but maybe it's useful info also for planning traffic to know how many people ride each route on each mode of transportation, right?

I'm genuinely interested to know how this would work and what's better and smarter
fskobic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #502
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

The Rejsekortet in Denmark works in the same way.

You check in at the start of the journey, check in again if you change to bus, train or metro and then check out at the end.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #503
luka23

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskobic View Post
How would that work if it wasn't for integrated tariffs? Let's say I live in Buitenveldert. I take the bus (check in) to Amsterdam Zuid then take something (either the metro or train or bus) to get to Haarlem Centraal, and then take another local bus to get from Haarlem Centraal to a neighborhood in Haarlem, where I check out. How would they know if I took the train (and give the money to NS), or the metro (to GVB) or the bus (to Connexxion)?

It is a bit of a hassle, but maybe it's useful info also for planning traffic to know how many people ride each route on each mode of transportation, right?

I'm genuinely interested to know how this would work and what's better and smarter
Purger, when you use another transport company you'll always have to check out. When another train company stopts at the same station,
it'll look like this.
luka23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #504
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

They could solve the "instappentarief" problem without eliminating check-in/out at transfers.

When OV-Chipkaart was first introduced, GVB had an enormous revenue boost as previous survey/sample estimates assumed it carried less passengers than other operators in the region. They even reversed budget cuts later with that extra money.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 05:51 PM   #505
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

What's the etiquette when you come across the pedestrian crossing at 3:40. Is it classed as 2 separate crossings?

Last edited by IanCleverly; December 23rd, 2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: embedding sorting out
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 05:59 PM   #506
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
What's the etiquette when you come across the pedestrian crossing at 3:40. Is it classed as 2 separate crossings?
They are separate crossings. It is ok to way in the island between the tram tracks and the street.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:44 PM   #507
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Trams have to give way to people crossing on zebra crossings. Just like any other traffic rule in Amsterdam, this is treated more like a guideline.
People tend to mentally cut them up into 3 sections. But it doesn't matter anyway, because the rule is to "let the person cross without any hindrance" when "there is shown intent to cross".

IanCleverly liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:08 PM   #508
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Trams have to give way to people crossing on zebra crossings. Just like any other traffic rule in Amsterdam, this is treated more like a guideline.
People tend to mentally cut them up into 3 sections. But it doesn't matter anyway, because the rule is to "let the person cross without any hindrance" when "there is shown intent to cross".
Yes, but the middle island is not a crosswalk, and people often stand there waiting for a tram to pass. But they can interrupt a tram, though. But trams are quite intimidating to throw yourself in front of, their bells are annoying and you know that if you force a tram to break suddenly, dozens of people will stare at you. People are more confident making buses, trucks, cars stop by "showing intent".

From experience, people are more relaxed about getting in front of a tram on mixed-use sections like on Leidsetraat.
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #509
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

After more than 15 years of construction below the center of Amsterdam, the Noord/Zuid-lijn is virtually completed. Starting next week, an intensive period of 'test runs' can be started. That takes a total of about five months. With this, the North/South-line is on course to start on 22 July.

Delay of seven years
Drilling through the weak Amsterdam soil below the historic city center and freezing the deep walls of the underground stations and digging under increased atmospheric pressure were very difficult. The construction of the North/South-line did not always run smoothly. For example, in 2008 twice a number of historical buildings on the Vijzelgracht collapsed and the costs incurred and the planning expired. After extensive research by the Veerman commission, the line could be phased out, with additional risk control measures. Since then, construction has been relatively stable and the budget of € 3.1 billion that was set at the time has remained the same. On 22 July 2018, the North/South-line will start operating.

On 10 January 2018, there's a public sneakpreview at six metrostations.

dimlys1994, Balkanada, aenigma liked this post
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #510
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Note that collapsed = sunk into a ground by a meter. They have since lifted the buildings (opgevijzeld, geheh) and renovated them.

Also, shoutout to forum member Wuppeltje at :08 in the video.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM   #511
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Note that collapsed = sunk into a ground by a meter.
15 centimeters in June 2008, 23 centimeters in September 2008.

Last edited by Silly_Walks; January 13th, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amsterdam, public transport