daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #81
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

N/Z Line: Station Johan van Hasseltweg

Update by the runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the runner View Post
Er worden veel nieuwe bomen rond het station geplant.
[IMG]http://i54.************/1pijht.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/55h646.jpg[/IMG]
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #82
Ni3lS

N/Z Line: Buikslotermeerplein station

Update by the runner

Quote:
Veel gebeurd er niet aan het station.
[IMG]http://i56.************/t6fhqs.jpg[/IMG]
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #83
Ni3lS

N/Z Line: Station Rokin

Update by the runner

Quote:
Boven de grond is alleen een bouwplaats te zien.
[IMG]http://i56.************/2899d3d.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #84
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It takes extremely long to build that line. Is it lack of money or construction problems?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #85
Ni3lS

Both. They've been building since '90 last century. Costs have been tripled due to the soft soil. It's extremely hard to build a subway line directly underneath the oldtown of Amsterdam. All old canal houses are standing on poles. It's basically one big lake underneath all those houses. If you just start digging, the canal houses will basically sink into the ground/lake. This is probably one of the hardest subway lines to be built ever, no kidding.
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #86
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It takes extremely long to build that line. Is it lack of money or construction problems?
Things like this cause a lot of delays:

Imagine waking up, but you can't open your front door because it sunk 5 inches below street level..
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #87
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Yeah, I heard that the soil is particularly saturated and difficult to tunnel through. Subsidance will always be a problem when tunnelling in places like that unfortunately.

Have many buildings been damaged so far?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #88
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
It's the soil. Amsterdam is build on a swamp. The historical houses are build on poles in the ground. That's why it's difficult to drill.

A lot of historical houses aren't straight.

Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #89
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Nah...we just tend to do things the Dutch way...which means that the initial time-line of all projects has to be multiplied by at least 2 for a realistic completion date.

Alas, it's taking too long indeed for this line to get finished. However, there's been some real progress over the past few years since the construction incident at Vijzelgracht station: the twin tunnels between Central Station and Rokin have been finished, the deep Rokin and Ceintuurbaan stations have been dug out completely, and the parts in the north and south of town are almost complete. It's the part of the line in the center that's taking so darn long to build...
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #90
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Yeah, I heard that the soil is particularly saturated and difficult to tunnel through. Subsidance will always be a problem when tunnelling in places like that unfortunately.

Have many buildings been damaged so far?
I don't think so. As soon as a building got damaged, they stopped drilling. Restored the building and then moved on. That's why it got so expensive!
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #91
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Both. They've been building since '90 last century.
They have been building since 2003.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #92
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
I don't think so. As soon as a building got damaged, they stopped drilling. Restored the building and then moved on. That's why it got so expensive!
Damage to buildings was never caused by the drilling process. The boring process for the two tunnels that have been drilled so far between Central Station and Rokin did not cause any damage to adjacent buildings.
The damage to the historical houses next to Vijzelgracht station were caused by a leaking seal in one of the diaphragm walls. This led to a considerable amount of ground water to leak into the station, thus causing subsidence and subsequent property damage. Construction at the Vijzelgracht station site had already resumed in April last year when the damaged buildings still needed restoring (which took place in December last year).

Furthermore, these incidents are but one of many reasons why costs for this project have soared in the mean time. A way too optimistic cost estimate before the project took off probably accounts for the most part of the cost rise (from € 1,7 bln in 2003 to > € 3 bln by now).
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #93
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
They have been building since 2003.
The process and preparation started in the nineties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Damage to buildings was never caused by the drilling process. The boring process for the two tunnels that have been drilled so far between Central Station and Rokin did not cause any damage to adjacent buildings.
The damage to the historical houses next to Vijzelgracht station were caused by a leaking seal in one of the diaphragm walls. This led to a considerable amount of ground water to leak into the station, thus causing subsidence and subsequent property damage. Construction at the Vijzelgracht station site had already resumed in April last year when the damaged buildings still needed restoring (which took place in December last year).

Furthermore, these incidents are but one of many reasons why costs for this project have soared in the mean time. A way too optimistic cost estimate before the project took off probably accounts for the most part of the cost rise (from € 1,7 bln in 2003 to > € 3 bln by now).
Never said it was the drilling that caused it Just said they stopped working on it as soon as something got damaged.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #94
Silly_Walks

Quote:
The process and preparation started in the nineties.
This is petty. To quote your own words: "They've been building since '90 last century"

They have NOT been building since the '90s.

Quote:
Never said it was the drilling that caused it Just said they stopped working on it as soon as something got damaged.

You said they stopped drilling. They were NOT drilling and if they were, they didn't stop. The drilling took place in an entirely different place and was never interrupted other than for normal operating procedures that required them to stop (adding special types of rings for connecting the two tunnels later on, etc.).
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #95
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
Just said they stopped working on it as soon as something got damaged.
I wish they had, back in 2008 at Vijzelgracht station. In reality, there were quite a few hours between their first findings of problems with the diaphragm walls, and the moment they decided to halt construction and start an emergency procedure. They should have done that rightaway, as that would most certainly have prevented most of the subsidence and the subsequent damage.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #96
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Amsterdam metro to close for six weeks

Amsterdam's metro system is to be closed between central station and Amstel station for six weeks from July 23 for maintenance.

The closure is to allow contractors to improve fire safety.

The work was scheduled for the summer of 2010 but, although the metro was closed, no work was done because of a dispute over the contract.

A shuttle bus service will carry passengers between the two stations.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #97
Mr_Dru

Busstation U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
En het gaat zelfs nog sneller dan op de laatste foto's. Inmiddels staan de buitenste 2 spanten ook. Vanmorgen een snelle mobiele update gemaakt. Men was druk bezig met plaatsen van dwarsverbindingen tussen de spanten. Ook stond de vrachtwagen met de resterende boogdelen klaar. Enjoy:

Hij is best breed.
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 009 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

Inhijsen van nieuwe dwarsverbindingen.
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 002 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 004 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

Mooi gevulde foto....
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 007 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

Toen viel mijn oog op deze vrachtwagen.
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 003 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

En kwam tot de conclusie dat de kap volgend jaar 'geopend' dient te worden....MMXII staat lijkt mij voor 2012
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 005 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr

Bonus, inclusief cruiseschip.
image hosted on flickr

11-04-22 Stationskap IJsei 001 by The Engineer 023, on Flickr
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #98
reinhart87
heal the world

Location: Jakarta, Seattle, Toronto, Groningen, Leuven, Tilburg, Rotterdam, Shanghai
Likes (Received): 10

i really like the "hour" cards that tourists can buy in Amsterdam. I recently purchased the 72 uur card for only 15.50 euro. Quite a bargain compared to paying single tickets every time i need to be on-the-go although these cards should be made more available for example one can purchase it from ticket machines.

regarding the north-south line, man... i'm just speechless with this project. ever since i arrived in Holland 5 years ago, it's still not completed. costs associated have hiked tremendously and the eye sore caused due to constructions equipments, scaffolding, etc is unbearable (especially the area around Amsterdam CS, Dam, and Rokin urrghhh!!)

I really hope the contractor, the government, GVB, and every party that has interest in it can gather their acts and work together to finish it asap for the better of everyone
reinhart87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #99
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart87 View Post
regarding the north-south line, man... i'm just speechless with this project. ever since i arrived in Holland 5 years ago, it's still not completed. costs associated have hiked tremendously and the eye sore caused due to constructions equipments, scaffolding, etc is unbearable (especially the area around Amsterdam CS, Dam, and Rokin urrghhh!!)
Besides the horrible delays and cost overruns, I don't think i know of any project of the same scale that doesn't cause eye sores during construction.
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #100
Mr_Dru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart87 View Post
It's a huge and complex project to drill under the historical city. I would compare it like the Big Dig in Boston.

Tags
amsterdam, public transport