daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #101
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I don't understand why are they building a new bust station on Amsterdam Centraal. The central area is served by trams already. They could terminate all the buses in periphery stations like Sloterdijk, Amstel, Bijlmer, Zuid... without buses going within the main central area. Then, they could free those bus lanes for cars.

With the new Noordzuidlijn, the case for buses running from Centraal Station to northern areas disappear also.

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #102
krulstaartje

Likes (Received): 0

You're absolutely right (for once ), but that is already the case. Amsterdam Centraal bus station is quite small compared to the bus stations at Utrecht Centraal, Nijmegen or Eindhoven, naming some random quite large Dutch bus stations I know, especially considering the difference in city and station size. The only buses terminating at CS are those that lack an alternative terminus, mostly from Westerpark, Noord, 'landelijk Noord' (Landsmeer, Edam, etc) & Zeeburg. I think the Noord-Zuidlijn will probably see some commuter peak time services disappear, yes. For the rest, these services will stay, and the new station isn't that huge, that is just the superstructure to make it look nice.
krulstaartje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #103
reinhart87
heal the world

Location: Jakarta, Seattle, Toronto, Groningen, Leuven, Tilburg, Rotterdam, Shanghai
Likes (Received): 10

i thought (at least from my observation, i'm not Amsterdamer) that most buses that stop at Amsterdam Centraal Station are commuter buses to nearby cities and villages like Purmerend, Volendam, Edam, Hoofdorp, Zaandam, Amstelveen, etc. In that sense, i think it makes sense because these buses feed the passengers to the train and metro-tram network of Amsterdam
reinhart87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #104
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart87 View Post
i thought (at least from my observation, i'm not Amsterdamer) that most buses that stop at Amsterdam Centraal Station are commuter buses to nearby cities and villages like Purmerend, Volendam, Edam, Hoofdorp, Zaandam, Amstelveen, etc. In that sense, i think it makes sense because these buses feed the passengers to the train and metro-tram network of Amsterdam
But as Suburbanist says, it would make more sense to send the buses to a metrostation at the edge of the city and feed the passengers to the public transport network of Amsterdam there, and keep the buses out of the inner city.
As far as i know, they are planning on doing this for some buses from the north (terminate them at Buikslotermeer).
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #105
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Soon, end of this month, it will be possible for people to walk through the tunnel between Amsterdam Central Station and Rokin!
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #106
starsailor82

Likes (Received): 15

cool. where can we find information? or do you know when exactly it opens?
starsailor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #107
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

I don't have a exacte date yet.
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #108
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor82 View Post
cool. where can we find information? or do you know when exactly it opens?
Very soon it will be announced on the website of the Noord|Zuidlijn. For members of SSC on may 12 we have a tour in the first bored tunnel in Amsterdam. You can sign up here.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #109
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62794

Here are my pictures from the very interesting tour in the new tunnel.

Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #110
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Some new artist's impressions of the Noord/Zuidlijn stations currently under construction are on display in the information centre. Quality is not really good as I had to photograph these impressions. They are bound to become available online though somewhere in the near future. If so, I (or someone else) will post them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post

Buikslotermeerplein:

Van Hasseltweg:

Centraal Station:

Rokin:

Vijzelgracht:

Ceintuurbaan:

Old June 6th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #111
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Unique tunneling operation underneath the Amsterdam CS historical building.

A whole metroplatform of the North/South Line immersed (–14.2 m) under the Amsterdam CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Mijn dank gaat wederom naar Wuppeltje en de Dienst Noord/Zuidlijn voor het regelen van perstoegang tot het ponton en Overhoeks. Ik heel veel foto's kunnen maken, hier een selectie met een paar worden .

1. Om 7 uur vanochtend was er nog weinig te merken wat er zou gaan gebeuren.

2. Door de regen was het ook niet levendig op het ponton nadat alle officiële persactiviteiten naar een droge plek onder het busplatform waren verplaatst.

3. Alleen gaf dat geen mooie beelden en de achtergrond lawaai was ook niet echt handig voor een interview met de wethouder. Die bij elke cameraploeg leuk zijn PR verhaaltje kon vertellen.

4. En duurde en duurde maar, dan maar even naar de Over-kant.

5. Waar een mooie blik op het schouwspel te verwachten was.

6. Maar de regen kwam nog steeds uit de lucht en er kwam maar geen tunneldeel in de verte in zicht.

7. Maar uiteindelijk..

8. Actie...

11. Het was ook wel leuk geweest om mee te kunnen varen.

12. Het spandoek van de Dienst Noord/Zuidlijn had eigenlijk net iets te kleine letters.

13. De ponton was inmiddels ook weer helemaal volgestroomd met pers en genodigden.

16. Bestemming bereikt.

17. Nu alleen nog een grote bocht om recht op de ingang van de sluis te komen te liggen.

19. En hij staat recht.

20. Wij werden ook gefilmd.

21. Het ging toen allemaal zo langzaam dat ik besloot om toch maar weer naar beneden te gaan. Wat nog een heel avontuur was aangezien de lift boven eigenlijk niet open te krijgen was zonder brute kracht. Dan maar in het donker naar beneden met de trap hopend dat we een uitgang zouden bereiken.

22. Vanaf de wal nog een paar foto's genomen.

24. om dan maar weer de pont naar de overkant te nemen.

25. Daar aangekomen was het tunneldeel al wel de sluis ingevaren.

27. Al duurde het laatste stukje wederom iets te lang.

Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #112
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Faregate Installation News:

Vancouver's system of fare gates and Compass Smartcards will be installed by Cubic, which has designed many large systems including London and San Francisco.

Quote:
Is there any plan to be installing barriers on the Amsterdam Metro like Vancouver intends doing?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #113
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Is there any plan to be installing barriers on the Amsterdam Metro like Vancouver intends doing?
Most Amsterdam Metro stations already have gates working, including all the underground ones. Those that don't have barriers have smartcard readers people are supposed to use instead of touching the cards on the gates.

The barriers control enter and exit of the system, to calculate the proper fare. When you check-int, they withdraw € 4,00 from your smartcard (unless you have some travel pass). When you exit, the distance you traveled is calculated, therefore the fare, and your card is reimbursed between the difference of €4,00 - actual fare.

This mean, theoretically, someone might enter the system fare-dodging in an open station, and then be not able to exit at a gated station. There are some videos on youtube of youngsters angry they can't exit gated stations :p
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM   #114
trainrover

I just wondered if such installations be a worldwide trend, for that linked article claims Vancouver's own installation is to make its LRT network safer
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:52 PM   #115
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I just wondered if such installations be a worldwide trend, for that linked article claims Vancouver's own installation is to make its LRT network safer
In the case of Amsterdam (and also in Rotterdam), this is part of a national trend to gating all major stations (train/subway) as a national smartcard was rolled in. Amsterdam Centraal already have fare gates in place, it is jut they are not activated yet (they allow you to just walk by still).

This will severely reduce the need for employing conductors, which will save money.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #116
trainrover

Ah! so their rationales appear different than Vancouver's, which, additionally-speaking, is wrapping in some element of fear
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #117
Wuppeltje

Progress at the back of the station. At the back of the station there is a busstation under construction with 24 busstops (6 normal busses, 18 stops for bendy busses). 360 meter long and 60 meter wide. Until the beginning of september they are working 24 hours, 7 days a week. At the end november this year 3/4 will be ready. In 2013 they are going to finish it. 1/4 will be done in 2013, because there is also a subway/metro line under construction (-2), a tunnel for cars (-1) and a new entrance under (0) the busstation (+1). These 4 levels have to be completed first in order to construct the last part of the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinius View Post
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #118
Never give up

Likes (Received): 7482

Fantastic project and thanks for the excellent postings.
Are they going to connect metro line 50 with lines 51, 53 and 54 at the main station?
It would appear logical and it might even be visible in the background of this rendering.

[IMG]http://i54.************/29kyqyx.jpg[/IMG]
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #119
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
Are they going to connect metro line 50 with lines 51, 53 and 54 at the main station?
It would appear logical and it might even be visible in the background of this rendering.

[IMG]http://i54.************/29kyqyx.jpg[/IMG]
No, that's not very logical as the demand for that connection is mostly met by the train from Sloterdijk to Centraal already.

It makes more sense to extend line 50 towards the future Johan van Hasseltweg in Noord to create new, previously non-existing connections.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #120
Wuppeltje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
No, but it is possible to do that. At the underground part of the Central Station reservations have been made so that they can connect 50 with the excisting lines 51, 53 and 54 above the North/Southline.

Tags
amsterdam, public transport