daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #181
embora

Likes (Received): 103

This article is from July, but I didn't see it posted here. It speaks about funding for a new trolley station where they're building the new courthouse.

I've since read an article (in the UT?) that mentioned that the Courthouse station would be the new terminus of the Orange Line, instead of Santa Fe Depot.

Quote:
MTS Receives $31.9 Million for New Courthouse Trolley Station, Light-Rail Vehicles

By Tarcy Connors

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) has been awarded $31.9 million from the Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP).

The MTS grant is one of only 14 projects in the state funded by the State of California’s 2015 and 2016 cap-and-trade budget. A total of $224 million is being allocated for the TIRCP.

http://sdbj.com/news/2015/jul/01/mts...e-trolley-sta/

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
embora no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #182
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26128

It was, but by another magazine:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=156
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM   #183
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
This article is from July, but I didn't see it posted here. It speaks about funding for a new trolley station where they're building the new courthouse.

I've since read an article (in the UT?) that mentioned that the Courthouse station would be the new terminus of the Orange Line, instead of Santa Fe Depot.

Eight more S-70's will bring the fleet numbers from 4065 to 4073. That's 16 new trams in just four years.

This does make me wonder about what's going on with the Blue Line. 16 new vehicles is not enough to replace the 71 U-2 trams that have left for Mendoza. And the northern extension is going to need even more trams but I've heard nothing about that anywhere. I know the S-70's have a higher capacity than the U-2's so you don't need 71 more S-70's but you'll need more than have arrived or been ordered so far.

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:53 PM   #184
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post

Since you are actually in San Diego, can you possibly confirm to us the U-2's have all been taken out of service if not removed from the local area?

Thanks

T-W

Old October 2nd, 2015, 06:51 AM   #185
embora

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
Since you are actually in San Diego, can you possibly confirm to us the U-2's have all been taken out of service if not removed from the local area?

Thanks

T-W
I rarely if ever see the U-2's running anymore ... though I want to say I was actually in one this year. But I do see them parked in the train yard shown in the below google maps link (which is just south of the 12th & Imperial trolley station. From what I can tell from the pedestrian bridge that crosses the tracks at Park Boulevard, most if not all of the 20 cars that are northeast of the blue trains are the U-2's.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7040.../data=!3m1!1e3

Tyger-Wyger, dimlys1994 liked this post
embora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 12:24 AM   #186
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for that, Embora.

I counted 48 two car sets in the yard. Some look like they've been stripped of roof airco units. I wonder if they are interchangeable with the ones on the S-100's?.

There are 52 S-100's in the fleet and a number of them were in service when this was taken, obviously on a Sunday. Problem is that it's not easy to tell them apart from the U-2's from on high. I had a look on Street View but the images were more than four years old so not help there but I did see some U-2's ;-).

embora liked this post
Old December 25th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #187
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Happy Holidays and a Great 2016 to all SDMTS Fans Everywhere!!!

Nexis liked this post
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #188
nikola91srb
Blokovi

Likes (Received): 17

one of the few U.S. cities with modern mass transit!

undeveloped though!

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
nikola91srb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #189
almo

Likes (Received): 511

A belated Season's Greetings:

dimlys1994, Tyger-Wyger liked this post
almo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #190
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

3rd Quarter Ridership for San Diego

San Diego / SDMTS LRT - 83,200 (2015) : N/A
San Diego / SDMTS Bus - 173,400 (2015)
: 4.19%
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #191
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
3rd Quarter Ridership for San Diego

San Diego / SDMTS LRT - 83,200 (2015) : N/A
San Diego / SDMTS Bus - 173,400 (2015)
: 4.19%
That's daily ridership, right? Seems low for an urban area with 1.3 million inhabitants.

Old January 9th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #192
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
That's daily ridership, right? Seems low for an urban area with 1.3 million inhabitants.
Yes , San Diego is a very auto centric city so ridership is pretty low.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #193
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

For some reason I thought LRT ridership was over 100K/daily...
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #194
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
I'm pretty sure it was. In fact I recall it being one of the highest in NA and even higher than Portland. Perhaps the ridership has dropped for some reason?

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #195
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
That may be partly related to the fact they are not very good at blowing their own horn. I have discussed problems with their website on here in the past.

That number will go down for the months of August to December after the Chargers leave town as there will not be any more home games.

Old January 11th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #196
sdery

Quote:
That may be partly related to the fact they are not very good at blowing their own horn. I have discussed problems with their website on here in the past.

That number will go down for the months of August to December after the Chargers leave town as there will not be any more home games.
4th Quarter 2014 for the same report showed 119,800 daily Trolley riders...dropping down to 83,200 daily Trolley riders is a significant decline. So is there an issue with the website and how they calculate ridership?
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #197
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

If the American football team leaves San Diego, it will have a negligible and possibly non-measurable effect on trolley ridership. Although there is a station next to the stadium, there is no evidence that it received any significant level of utilization during home games.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #198
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
If the American football team leaves San Diego, it will have a negligible and possibly non-measurable effect on trolley ridership. Although there is a station next to the stadium, there is no evidence that it received any significant level of utilization during home games.

They put two holding tracks near the stadium station to store trams during the games. Someone must have had a good reason to expect the extra ridership back then as they spent the extra money to add that feature. Until this year the Chargers were a good team and would make the playoffs from time to time. That changed dramatically this past season when the team fell apart.

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; January 14th, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #199
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
4th Quarter 2014 for the same report showed 119,800 daily Trolley riders...dropping down to 83,200 daily Trolley riders is a significant decline. So is there an issue with the website and how they calculate ridership?
There are issues with their website but that is not the reason for such a large decline in the space of just one year. The Chargers (US football team) just finished their worst year in ages and that also contributed but their ten home games are only on Sundays, a day with lower than normal ridership. The Padres (baseball team) have been a poor team for ages and that could also play into it as their home games can be any day of the week. Again, lower ridership to the two main sports venues is only part of this problem. I hope they are working hard to find the cause and come up with a solution that works.

I just had the idea that a lack of equipment may also be responsible for part of this decline. Remember they have just replaced 71 U-2's with a handful of the short 4000 series S-70's. Even if they can cover the base service, do they still have enough capacity to deal with peak hour demand? Peak hour frequencies are every seven and a half minutes on all three lines, double the normal frequency.

Maybe they should next purchase a few more of the longer 3000 series S-70's and let them operate all of the Green Line's service. That would free up some S-100's and shorter 4000 series S-70's for the peaks on the other lines. And yes, more trams will be needed to cover the Blue Line extension in a few years. That extension may help generate more traffic on the other two lines as well by making tram journeys a better choice than car or bus trips for a (hopefully large) number of people in the SD area.

Longer wait times and crowded trams do not make for happy customers.

And I have no idea how they calculate ridership or if a change in the process has resulted in this large drop. I would think it would be difficult to track individual riders over their entire journeys. And do they count a trip that starts on a bus, transfers to another bus, then a tram and finally another bus a single trip or four separate ones?

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; January 14th, 2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #200
sdery

There is also the problem that the main job areas today (tech and biotech) are located in area between UTC and Del Mar; downtown SD is now more of a residential area than a work/business destination that would have daily commuters. And I am not sure if MTS is set up for reverse commute or not.

Tags
san diego, us light rail