daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #41
embora

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Why are they using restored streetcars as opposed to modern streetcars?
I don't know. My theory is that maybe they want to cater towards tourists & conventioneers. I say this because SDMTS has said that the restored streetcars will not accept the electronic system that everyday 1-month-pass-users use to board the bus or light rail. Having a monthly pass, I'd wait for the normal trolley to arrive so I don't have to pay extra.
embora no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #42
embora

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
In an advertisement/article in the hard copy of the local San Diego Union Tribune newpaper (yesterday), SDMTS indicates that it will unveil a new low-floor trolley in late July, and that in early august, they will add to their downtown trolley service in the form of restored streetcars.
According to the July newsletter of the San Diego Electric Railway Association, the PCC car to be used in the Silver Line could be in "revenue service" in just a few months. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

http://www.sdera.org/newsletters/SDERAJul11.pdf
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #43
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

How the trolley is going to cut through UCSD.

It'll be aerial the whole way and is going to come from the five not from Gilman Drive so the grade won't be as bad.

I would think the first station would be better placed next to Warren Field since it's closer to Price Center and Geisel, as well as the Campus Loop/Regents shuttle stop.

mrsmartman liked this post
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM   #44
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

thanks for posting! What is the timeline for construction?..if the funds are available..

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM   #45
embora

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
thanks for posting! What is the timeline for construction?..if the funds are available..
2015-ish, maybe. I only base it on the "Proposed 2015 Trolley Network" map in my Dec. 9, 2010 response in this very thread. That was from SDMTS's own publication.

Fwiw, I think that they will extend the Green Line to 12th and Imperial (past the Convention Center) pretty soon. I want to say that I read in December 2011 that they were hoping to do this in May 2012. This is just my recollection, so treat it as nothing more than a ballpark figure.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM   #46
embora

SDMTS' Green Line trolley is expected to be extended to downtown in September 2012. From that time until the mid-coast corridor's trolley line is built, the blue line would terminate downtown. This is per the below article:

San Diego’s Green Line Will Finally Arrive Downtown In September.
Monday, April 30, 2012"

By Tom Fudge

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/apr/30...rive-downtown/
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #47
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

Will northbound Blue Line terminate at 12th & Imperial or proceed to Santa Fe Depot?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM   #48
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

The San Diego Rail Project was introduced in 2011 after two years of development. It is an independent light rail transit study that shares a vision of what the San Diego Trolley system may become in the next 100 years. More informaiton about the study can be found at www.sandiegorailproject.com.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:22 AM   #49
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
The San Diego Rail Project was introduced in 2011 after two years of development. It is an independent light rail transit study that shares a vision of what the San Diego Trolley system may become in the next 100 years. More informaiton about the study can be found at www.sandiegorailproject.com.
Two years of development and they couldn't envision that maybe Tijuana might want to be connected to the SD Trolley in the year 2111?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   #50
Jim856796

Tijuana may end up building its own light rail system and a BRT system. Plans for these never got off the ground probably.

Mind if the rail project is further evaluated in this thread?

Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #51
Bogdy

Likes (Received): 10088

My favourite section from San Diego's trolley, the overpass near Grantville station

image hosted on flickr

110723_000_SDMTS3011 by AgentADQ, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAN DIEGO TROLLEY--2001 appr Grantville Station IB. 1 of 2 by milantram, on Flickr

Trolley passes to Grape Street Underpass

Mitteleuropa by train

geometarkv, mrsmartman liked this post
Bogdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:38 AM   #52
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdy View Post
My favourite section from San Diego's trolley, the overpass near Grantville station

image hosted on flickr

SAN DIEGO TROLLEY--2001 appr Grantville Station IB. 1 of 2 by milantram, on Flickr
Holy shit that's a steep gradient
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #53
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

That's not a trolley. It's a tram/street car or light rail. A trolley is a bus with overhead wire like a tram.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #54
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Beware of open angle telescope lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
That's not a trolley. It's a tram/street car or light rail. A trolley is a bus with overhead wire like a tram.
In American English, a trolley (car) might be a synonym for trams/light rail.

-Corey- liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #55
Bogdy

Likes (Received): 10088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Of course, but it's full of charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In American English, a trolley (car) might be a synonym for trams/light rail.
Exactly
Bogdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #56
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

Quote:
True..but that is the given name. San Diego Trolley. That name has been in place since 1981.

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journ...er/trolley.htm

Quote:
. The modern train system, known as the San Diego Trolley, came about as a result of the insight of State Senator James Mills, the development of a metropolitan transit district board (MTDB), the destruction of SD&AE tracks by tropical storm Kathleen on Sept. 10, 1976, and the availability of funds at just the right time.

With the purchase of part of the SD&AE right-of-way and approval by the San Diego City Council and other agencies, work began in 1979 on the South Line linking San Diego and the border. Mayor Pete Wilson drove the official golden spike on June 4, 1980 to dedicate the first section of track in downtown San Diego. After a week-long celebration, the first train bound for San Ysidro started at 5:00 a.m. on July 26, 1981. Dubbed the "Tijuana Trolley" by many, the name for the entire system became the "San Diego Trolley," despite opposition from James Mills who called it a "dumb name."

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #57
Jim856796

There are ten lines proposed as part of the San Diego Rail Project: Three (mostly) existing, one currently under construction (as of this writing), and six proposed.

Line 1: The existing Blue Line Trolley is extended to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, effectively connecting those areas to the SD City Centre. It is named "The International Line" due to its servise to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Line 2: The existing Orange Line right of way is extended in three phases: Central, North, and East. It would provide new centralised service to Downtown, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, and Central El Cajon. It is named "The City Inland Line" because of the destinations spanning from East County to Centre City.

Line 3: The existing Green Line service is extended past Old Town into Ocean Beach, giving extended service to the Ocean Beach and Northern Point/Normal Heights communities. It has been dubbed "The River Valley Line" since the significant length of the corridor runs adjacent to the San Diego River and Mission Valley into Santee.

Line 4: The Mid-Coast Corridor Project utilises an existing right-of-way-along I-5 with additional service to the University of California at San Diego and the La Jolla business district. The proposed line is broken into two segments: Phase 1 extends service south into Kearny Mesa. Phase 2 terminates into Tierrasanta. It is nicknamed "The Mid-Coast Line".

Line 5: This is a new line which is broken into three segments: Phase 1 brings rail service to the Sorrento Mesa business district as well as Mira Mesa. Phase 2 sends rail service to Miramar. Phase 3 extends the southern branch for centralised service into Southeast San Diego, national City, Bay Terraces, Skyline Hills, and Spring Valley. It has been dubbed "The Technology Line" due to the service provided to many of San Diego's leading technological and manufacturing companies.

Line 6: This is a new line broken into four segments, providing rail service to Balboa Park, North Park, City Heights, Rolando, La Mesa, National City, Chula Vista, Bonita, Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, and Lemon Grove. It would also serve Normal and City Heights on the north sections and a link would be created between East County and South San Diego in the southern segments. It is designated "The San Diego Main Line" due to its importance and significant areas served.

Line 7: This new line is split into five segments. It would provide rail service to the San Diego International Airport and the Midway/Rosecrans District. Additionally, there would be stations at Liberty Station, Old Town, Fashion valley, Linda Vista, Claremont, University City, Miramar, Mira Mesa, Downtown, and Coronado. The key area served would be SDIA. It has been named "The Lindbergh Line" to honour the past.

Line 8: Split into three segments, the new line would grant north-south travel between North Downtown and San Ysidro International Border via Central San Diego, national City, and Chula Vista. The line will travel along SR 94 and I-805 before merging with the existing Blue Line at San Ysidro. It is named "The Central Express Line" due to the fast service and freeway corridow following the line.

Line 9: This new line would provide rapid service to the Otay Mesa International Border Crossing, Brown Field Airport, Eastlake, Rancho del Rey, National City, East San Diego, and Mission Valley. Broken into three segments, it would provide transit service to Eastlake and Otay Ranch. Its title, "The Otay Mesa Line", is derived from the final destination to the border crossing.

Line 10: Split into four segments, this line would connect Ocean Beach, Loma Portal, Southeast San Diego, National City, Central Chula Vista, and Imperial beach to Downtown. It is termed "The Imperial Coast Line" due to the terminations at Ocean Beach and Imperial Beach.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #58
embora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Will northbound Blue Line terminate at 12th & Imperial or proceed to Santa Fe Depot?
I've read that when the Green Line is extended to the convention center that the Blue line would be terminate at Santa Fe Depot (or was it America Plaza?), but that in the long run it would be extended to UCSD and University Town Center in what is now called the Mid-Coast corridor. This is the Line 4 that Jim 856796 mentioned in his post:

Quote:
Line 4: The Mid-Coast Corridor Project utilises an existing right-of-way-along I-5 with additional service to the University of California at San Diego and the La Jolla business district. The proposed line is broken into two segments: Phase 1 extends service south into Kearny Mesa. Phase 2 terminates into Tierrasanta. It is nicknamed "The Mid-Coast Line".
Here is SANDAG's website on the Mid-Coast line:
http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?proj...rojects.detail

By the way, thank you for the link to the S.D. Rail Project, Jim.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #59
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
A trolley is
Read this part to learn what a trolley was ... trolleybus is the term used both sides of the Atlantic
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #60
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Read this part to learn what a trolley was ... trolleybus is the term used both sides of the Atlantic
Ahh, so it's definitely not a tram, then
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, us light rail