daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #61
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Maybe it's an interurban ... might depend on how close its electric substations are spaced together
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #62
embora

Likes (Received): 103

Here's the new map put out by SDMTS for their new trolley service, starting 9/1/12:

Rail_Serbia liked this post
embora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #63
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 1st, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #64
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

Lijman, go to youtube.. you will find some great videos about the San Diego trolley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lijman View Post
Do freight trains use the trolley tracks? If so, at what times (eg. late nights) and do the freight train operators pay track access fees to the trolley operator?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Is this a hangover from earlier times when the light rail lines were originally freight lines?
Yes. the south line is the former San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway.

Quote:
Judging from the cab ride significant stretches of the system pass through industrial areas, especially the line south to the Mexican border. Do these parts attract decent patronage?
Yes..great ridership on the trolley. I cannot find the exact figures on the south line. but I did find this.

http://www.sdmts.com/mts/MTSSetsRide...aightMonth.asp

Quote:
MTS Sets Ridership Record for Second Straight Month

San Diego, CA –Ridership aboard Metropolitan Transit System vehicles set a record for March, the second straight month of record ridership for the system.

There were 7,780,227 trips taken during March 2012, a 1.2 percent increase over the same period last year. Bus ridership in March was up 0.7 percent to 4.9 million trips and Trolley ridership was up 3.8 percent to 2.89 million trips.

For the nine months ending March 31 in fiscal year 2012, there have been 66.12 million trips on the MTS network, up 5.1 percent over the same period last year. Ridership is expected to reach 89 million trips for the entire fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. The record for one year was set in fiscal year 2009 when there was 91.6 million trips.
Quote:
Are there residential areas just out of camera view?
yes.. most people riding the trolley use two methods to arrive at a trolley sation.

1) They take a bus.
2) They drive their car and use the free parking lot which are located adjacent to many trolley stations.

Quote:
Has the the trolley system spurred any urban renewal, such as the redevelopment of industrial areas into apartments offices etc?
No.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:48 AM   #65
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

San Diego Union-Tribune
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...rossing-opens/

Quote:
Rail undercrossing opens in Encinitas
Santa Fe Drive pathway will allow safer access to beach

By Phil Diehl
3:42 P.M. FEB. 27, 2013

Surfer Glenn Vega makes his way to Swami's Beach on Wednesday by using the new pedestrian underpass that has opened in Encinitas across from the Self-Realization Fellowship. — Don Boomer

A long-awaited walkway that allows pedestrians in Encinitas to cross under the railroad tracks as they head to a nearby beach opened Wednesday, delighting public officials and residents who lobbied for the project.

Mara Roberts, walking her dog Nella, was among the first to use the newly completed railroad undercrossing at the foot of Santa Fe Drive.

“We’ve been waiting for years,” said Roberts, who was headed from her home to the beach.

She, her family and their neighbors have been watching the construction with anticipation for months, she said. No longer will they have to walk a mile to the nearest legal crossing at Chesterfield Drive or scoot illegally across the tracks.

“It’ll save probably just five or 10 minutes, but mostly it’s the safety thing,” she said.

The tracks carry fast-moving Amtrak and Coaster commuter trains dozens of times a day.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the project was held Wednesday afternoon, where officials including Encinitas Mayor Teresa Barth, county Supervisor Dave Roberts, and several North County Transit District board members celebrated its completion.

“This is the second busiest inter-city rail section in the United States,” said Roberts, adding that although roughly 50 trains pass through the area each day, many people cross the tracks illegally.

“This new undercrossing provides our residents and all who come this way with a safe crossing,” he said.

About $1.2 million of the $5.9 million project was paid by the city of Encinitas, officials have said. The project received a $3 million grant from the San Diego Association of Governments, and the rest in state grants.

On Wednesday morning, city workers were sprucing up the walkway in preparation for the afternoon’s ribbon-cutting ceremony. City consultant Jason Stack fine-tuned the timing of the pedestrian-activated traffic lights installed on South Coast Highway 101 at the western end of the undercrossing, as maintenance workers cleaned up the freshly planted landscaping.

Robert Blough, an Encinitas city traffic engineer, said the traffic signal only turns red after a pedestrian pushes a button. Sensors in the pavement give vehicles and cyclists time to stop before the light changes, up to 60 seconds, then pedestrians have about 16 seconds to cross the highway.

The metal poles of the street lights installed at the undercrossing match the century-old design used for downtown Encinitas lights, Blough said.

All rail traffic was suspended for a weekend in September while a railroad bridge was installed to create the crossing. A time-lapse video of that portion of the work can be seen on YouTube.

The undercrossing is the first of four on the drawing boards for Encinitas. The others have been proposed for El Portal Street, Montgomery Avenue and Hillcrest Drive. The total cost of all four is more than $25 million.

bd popeye liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #66
bd popeye

Bad news for the Sprinter and North county rail commuters.

Sprinter shutdown jolts North County Page 1 of 3 | UTSanDiego.com

Quote:
At the Sprinter maintenance facility in Escondido, Bob Young General Manager Operations of Maintenance for Bombardier shows an example of the brake rotor that are prematurely wearing out by as much as 12 months. The brake rotor which has been unbolted from the wheel assembly is the object in the center of the axle. — Nelvin C. Cepeda
Quote:
NORTH COUNTY — North County transit officials plan to shut down the Sprinter light rail Saturday — and for up to four months — to repair a specialized brake system that’s showing accelerated wear on all 12 of the system’s trains.

They said the decision resulted from “an abundance of caution.” The setback, which the region’s transit chief described as “embarrassing” and “difficult,” is expected to inconvenience thousands who rely on the Sprinter along its 22-mile corridor from Oceanside to Escondido.

It could also shake confidence in the North County Transit District’s $477 million Sprinter line, which has seen steady ridership gains in recent years after attracting far fewer riders than initially projected. Critics skewered the Sprinter when it opened five years ago today — millions of dollars over budget and far behind schedule.

Matt Tucker, the transit agency’s executive director, pledged during a Friday news conference in Escondido that the reopening of the Sprinter “will be based on safety, not based on schedules.”

He also said some brake rotors on the Sprinter are “out of compliance” with the manufacturer’s standards. Those benchmarks are built into the transit district’s own safety rules.

Saturday and Sunday, the agency intends to use express buses to ferry passengers during the closure. The buses will run every 30 minutes and make stops at the Vista Transit Center, Palomar College and California State University San Marcos.

Bus replacement plans beyond this weekend are still in the works, the agency said. It encouraged the public to check its website — gonctd.com — for updates.

Leaders of the transit district didn’t specify a cause for the accelerated brake wear and said they didn’t know how much the repairs, bus substitutions and other aspects of the shutdown would cost. They also wouldn’t say whether private contractors or taxpayers would foot the bill.

“There’s going to be a time for all that. No one has an idea at this point,” Tucker said.

In a cruel twist, the shutdown — set for after midnight Friday — falls exactly on the fifth anniversary of the Sprinter’s opening, just as the network was emerging as “the backbone” of North County’s east-west transit network, as supporters have called it.

Saturday's planned Sprinter celebration in San Marcos — which would have featured speeches, awards and model train games — was canceled Friday.

Tucker said he learned of the brake problem “very suddenly last week.” It triggered days of arrangements for the replacement buses, according to a news release from the transit agency.

When U-T San Diego asked Tucker about the brake issue Thursday night, he said a preliminary investigation revealed that a subcontractor knew about the issue with the brakes, as did the district’s rail mechanical engineer. The information somehow didn’t make it to higher-ups at the agency, Tucker said, and the engineer who oversees maintenance contracts has resigned.

On Friday, he said the trains’ premature rotor wear on the central disc braking system fell below the maker’s standards, leading to his agency’s voluntary stop of service.

Page:

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Old March 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #67
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

Before I moved out of SD, I took my then one year old for a ride in both, the San Diego Trolley and the Sprinter in North County, he loved every minute on it. One thing dissapoints me is how agressive security in the NCTD can be, I was standing on the street taking pictures of the Sprinter in Vista, suddenly they swarned and sorrounded me demanding my camera, I had to call the cops on them since a few years ago they shot somebody at the Vista Transit Center, cops arrived in no time and gave me my camera back since I was standing on public property not on the tracks.

In San Diego is a whole different story, the trolley operators even wave at you when taking a picture.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #68
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Those NCTD rent-a-cops must be lonely or possibly unemployed nowadays due to the brake issues.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #69
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Those NCTD rent-a-cops must be lonely or possibly unemployed nowadays due to the brake issues.
They deserve it, risking people's life is not an option.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:27 AM   #70
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

This whole debacle has been labeled the Sprinter-Ruption. They even have a logo and a website, in addition to a task force.

I can't think of another time a transit agency branded an unplanned service outage.
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #71
Washingtonian3

Likes (Received): 0

I think that San Diego Trolley was probably a great improvement in public transportation in San Diego. Heck, it was even before Los Angeles decided to start building a metro in the 1980s. Still, San Diego Trolley wasn't before BART.
Washingtonian3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #72
bd popeye

Sprinter to return to service this Saturday.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...nsit-bus-rail/

Quote:
North County's Sprinter trains are headed back to service on Saturday, more than two months after they were shut down due to accelerated brake rotor wear, according to two elected officials.

During the closure, replacement buses and contracted vans and taxis have ferried some of the thousands of passengers who relied on the rail line, which connects 15 stations from Escondido to Oceanside.

Heather Siegel, who heads an Escondido nonprofit that helps people with disabilities, said the Sprinter's pending return is very good news. She said many of her clients have struggled with the replacement buses, which can make transit trips longer and more complicated.

"If we can be safe and we can be back on board (the train), we'll be grateful," Siegel added.

The North County Transit District, which owns the Sprinter network, has yet to say what caused the rapid brake rotor wear on the 12 trains.

Costs related to the closure, including bus replacement service and new rotors, could climb past $3 million, according to a recent U-T San Diego review of purchase orders approved by the district's board of directors. The board is scheduled to vote Thursday afternoon on another parts contract related to the closure for up to $558,000.

Escondido Mayor Sam Abed announced the Sprinter would return on Saturday during his Wednesday afternoon town hall meeting in front of about 150 people. San Marcos Councilwoman Rebecca Jones confirmed the Saturday return date in a phone interview.

A spokeswoman for the transit district sent out a media advisory on Tuesday saying a Sprinter relaunch date would be announced Wednesday morning, but she declined to specify the return date.

Officials with the transit district did not respond to messages late Wednesday afternoon.

The agency plans to run an advertisement in U-T San Diego on Wednesday with a large photo of a Sprinter train, reading "It's Back. Full Service resumes Saturday, May 18."

In early March, agency officials said the Sprinter closure could last between two and four months. They have said replacement rotors installed on the trains have passed all initial tests.

Richard Berk, the agency's former rail maintenance officer, resigned March 1, days after state inspectors called for a shutdown of the service after finding accelerated wear on the original brake rotors.

Berk said in March that the state’s stringent brake performance standards were to blame for the rotors wearing out faster than expected. He said that, over several years, he had repeatedly informed his supervisors at the transit district about the pending problem.

District officials have said there are no written records to back up Berk’s statements.

San Marcos Councilwoman Rebecca Jones, who sits on the transit district's board, said she was confident the agency would not see a repeat on the scale of the Sprinter shutdown, which she said stemmed from a "communication" problem.

"I think the lesson is that there needs to be an open communication," Jones said.

She added that processes put in place by the agency's executive director, Matt Tucker, such as an employee whistle blower hotline, would eliminate future fiascoes.

Jones said the agency had worked hard to accommodate riders needs during the train closure.

"I'm sure that all the folks that depend on the Sprinter will be happy to have it back in service," Jones added. "I'm just happy that their lives can get back to normal."

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #73
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11246

First time contributing here, and I have some San Diego MTS vehicles to share from my Photobucket. I've been to San Diego last year around July as part of my summer vacation in Las Vegas and SoCal, and my family stayed at the Courtyard on Broadway & 7th at the heart of Downtown. As a reward, I've seen quite a bit of MTS buses on Broadway... I'll share some of them as we go along.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

geometarkv liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #74
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

It's quite exciting news for commuters in North County that the Sprinter-Ruption is coming to an end tomorrow.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #75
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

Back on track? Good news
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #76
embora

Likes (Received): 103

The environmental planning process continues for the proposed extension of the San Diego Trolley to UCSD:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/may/16...lley-extentio/

geometarkv, mrsmartman liked this post
embora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #77
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11246

Now that would be truly interesting to watch since that could mean a huge ridership boost for the Blue Line once it is completed, and it might mean a reduction of MTS Bus service between Downtown and UTC (if I recall correctly, it would be the Line 30). Plus, once it is completed, I suspect that the line will help building up more communities and promote higher densities along the line (especially Linda Vista, Pacific Beach, and University City) that it will increase land values in the process, effectively complementing transportation options along the 5 corridor between Downtown and University City.

I just wonder, though: there is a huge gap between Balboa Avenue and Nobel Drive... will Nobel Drive be the stop for buses heading to La Jolla, and are there any plans to build an infill station between Balboa Avenue and Nobel Drive in the future?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #78
lolstebbo

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Now that would be truly interesting to watch since that could mean a huge ridership boost for the Blue Line once it is completed, and it might mean a reduction of MTS Bus service between Downtown and UTC (if I recall correctly, it would be the Line 30).

I just wonder, though: there is a huge gap between Balboa Avenue and Nobel Drive... will Nobel Drive be the stop for buses heading to La Jolla, and are there any plans to build an infill station between Balboa Avenue and Nobel Drive in the future?
The 30 runs through La Jolla and PB; it's line 150 that the Blue Line would be replacing.

There's a black box at the Gilman/I-5 intersection where a Coaster/Trolley infill transit center could be located.
lolstebbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #79
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Sorry, but this is a false start. If I could find a way to delete it, I would

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; September 15th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Beware of open angle telescope lenses rail.
There's nothing to beware of. That really IS a steep grade. I rode it about a week ago. I'll be posting about my adventures in San Diego in the near future.

The telephoto lens compression effect doesn't come into play here because of the angle of the lens to the ramp. It the lens were straight on to the ramp then you would be correct and the photo would seem even more dramatic than seeing the same thing with your own eyes. And telephoto lenses have a narrow angle of view compared to normal and wide angle lenses, not a view that is more open.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, us light rail