daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #101
almo

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
Thanks, Almo

If you went through my photos you would have seen 1013 in San Diego in 2013. I rode her and she was wearing a white wrap for Honest brand tea. I have a thing about the number 13 and was not going to let 1013, 2013 or 4013 pass without being ridden. 1014 was also in SD last year and like her sister she was wearing a wrap for something or other. Again, check my photo links and you will most likely see her.

As far as I know, the 24 you mentioned are part of the 28 mentioned previously and I've heard nothing about another batch going to Mendoza. Last info I had, the SDMTS 4000 series goes from 4001 to 4057. More will be needed to operate the new section of the Blue Line that should be under construction by now.

It could be the quantity was reduced because of financial reasons on the part of the local operator in Mendoza or an extension won't be ready on time. Looking on pages 25 and 26 of the link shows the system is expanding but I could not figure out the date for opening the next section, which is going towards the airport but not all the way at the moment. I saw photos or videos of 1001-02-03-04-05-maybe 08 and 10. Current fleet numbers should go from 1001 to 1011 and you see more by searching on You Tube. With the 24 units in transit, it will go from 1001 to 1035. I have no idea which ex-SDMTS trams are now wearing any given number in Mendoza. If you speak Spanish, perhaps you could ask this on the page you linked to.

What you may want to do is go to the SDMTS website and ask your question there via the 'Contact Us' link on the home page. That will give you the info straight from the horse's mouth and then you can post it on here. That is how I got the list I posted. Expect to wait about a week or more for a reply as this isn't a normal customer service type of question concerning routes, timetables and fares. You may as well also ask for the SDMTS fleet numbers that were included in that sale at the same time.

I live on the other side of the Atlantic from you so I don't get to SD very often. Last September was my first visit and I have no idea when I will return, but I will return.

See you soon!!!

T-W
========================

Thank you, Tyger-Wyger!

Photographs are proof and I guess I was misinformed about 1013 and 1014. My list was based on photographs of the units as they arrived and clues from Mendoza newspapers, which are unreliable. The fans down there are concerned mostly with construction of the line and possible extensions, don't care much about fleet numbers. As for trying to correlate the old numbers with the new, forget it! Someone told me that some of the original numbers are still noted inside, but of course he didn't send me an example. 1058 and 1067 are the two I didn't know about, so thanks for the correction.

The September 2012 purchase was for 28 more SD units, four of which were supposed to be "for parts". So I guess the present group of 24 ignores those four. By the way, they will be shipped from Houston through the Panama Canal to Antofagasta, Chile, whence they will be trucked over the Andes to Argentina, then south to Mendoza. Why don't they ship them from San Diego? Thank you also for the suggestion to contact SDMTS.

Cheers,
almo

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
almo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #102
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by almo View Post
========================

Thank you, Tyger-Wyger!

Photographs are proof and I guess I was misinformed about 1013 and 1014. My list was based on photographs of the units as they arrived and clues from Mendoza newspapers, which are unreliable. The fans down there are concerned mostly with construction of the line and possible extensions, don't care much about fleet numbers. As for trying to correlate the old numbers with the new, forget it! Someone told me that some of the original numbers are still noted inside, but of course he didn't send me an example. 1058 and 1067 are the two I didn't know about, so thanks for the correction.

The September 2012 purchase was for 28 more SD units, four of which were supposed to be "for parts". So I guess the present group of 24 ignores those four. By the way, they will be shipped from Houston through the Panama Canal to Antofagasta, Chile, whence they will be trucked over the Andes to Argentina, then south to Mendoza. Why don't they ship them from San Diego? Thank you also for the suggestion to contact SDMTS.

Cheers,
almo

No problem, always glad to help!

It could be that 28 left SD. They may have only mentioned 24 because only that many will enter service. I'm sure there will be a lot of news about them once they arrive in Mendoza. Don't hesitate to put it on here when they arrive. Can one of the fans down there contact the operator and see if they have a list of SD to MA fleet numbers? Be nice to know which ones from SD are running with which numbers down there. Same if the four for spares show up.

The present timetable shows a tram three or four times each hour in each direction with the 11 they have now. At least one has to be a spare to cover breakdowns or maintenance on the other 10.

San Diego is not, to my knowledge, a commercial seaport. They would have to go to LA for that. I have no idea as to the volume of cargo between LA and South America and even less idea if there were any ships available on that route that could take the trams.

I just spent the past two hours watching video of the trams in Mendoza. I saw all except 1009 and 1011. I also saw 1027-1028-1055-1058-1071!

Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!

T-W

almo liked this post

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; April 30th, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #103
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

Quote:
San Diego is not, to my knowledge, a commercial seaport. They would have to go to LA for that. I have no idea as to the volume of cargo between LA and South America and even less idea if there were any ships available on that route that could take the trams.
No SD is not a major commercial seaport. Not like LA/Long Beach/Wilmington or Houston. However... There is a seaport there.

Unified Port of San Diego

One of the major items brought into the port are automobiles on roll on roll off ships.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

almo, Tyger-Wyger liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #104
embora

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
SDMTS is soliciting input on their planned rapid bus routes. Here's an image of the routes.

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/rapidproposals.asp

The first rapid bus route (#235) is scheduled to open on June 8. You can find more info here, and sign up for a free ride to test it out: http://www.rapidmts.com/

Old May 19th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #105
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

I'd like to see an all day express route from UCSD--University City--Kearny Mesa--College Area--SDSU. Every 15 minutes in the Peaks and every 30 minutes in the off peaks until just after the end of classes each day.

By the way, have they started construction on the northern extension of the Blue Line yet?
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #106
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11246

Quote:
I'd like to see an all day express route from UCSD--University City--Kearny Mesa--College Area--SDSU. Every 15 minutes in the Peaks and every 30 minutes in the off peaks until just after the end of classes each day.

By the way, have they started construction on the northern extension of the Blue Line yet?
Let me see if that line is even feasible to start with... which lines would you then adjust to make that route happen?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #107
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

@Tyger I think your proposal can make sense, but it involves a lot of turns. Would you rather route the line via a freeway or would you keep it on the side streets? I could see a potential on your route... I'll sketch the route on paper or use Google Maps to put that idea into discussion.

Old May 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #108
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
@Tyger I think your proposal can make sense, but it involves a lot of turns. Would you rather route the line via a freeway or would you keep it on the side streets? I could see a potential on your route... I'll sketch the route on paper or use Google Maps to put that idea into discussion.

I was thinking of a fast service that would connect the two academic centers. That would be from UCSD to University City via La Jolla Village Drive and Gennessee Avenue to CA-52 to Convoy Street to Claremont Drive passing through the Kearny Mesa Transit Center (connections to other express and local buses) on the way to I-15 and I-8 to Fairmount Avenue and Monetzuma Drive up to SDSU using the SDSU Transit Center and Aztec Ciicle Drive as a turnaround loop.

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; May 19th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #109
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

If it will be an all-day service, which part/s of the route might be prone to bottlenecks, if not lots of traffic? And are you willing to use alternate side streets to bypass congested freeways during peak periods?

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #110
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
If it will be an all-day service, which part/s of the route might be prone to bottlenecks, if not lots of traffic? And are you willing to use alternate side streets to bypass congested freeways during peak periods?

That makes sense.

T-W
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #111
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

That makes sense.

T-W
You'll need to consider which road/s may be used to route those buses, as well as how congested those roadways can be to make the needed run time adjustments, and determine how long a round trip will be from SDSU to UCSD and vice versa to see how many vehicles will be needed. It takes some time to make it happen, but, if done right, the ridership can bring in more business to the neighborhoods the new line will serve. If you'd like, I can create a sketch of the routes when I have free time, post them here, and we can discuss any potential tweaks... given the nature of the roadways that bus line will go through, I think a standard 35- or 40-foot bus would work best as starters, with a potential to be upgraded to 60-foot artics if it proves to be popular.

Old May 20th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #112
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
You'll need to consider which road/s may be used to route those buses, as well as how congested those roadways can be to make the needed run time adjustments, and determine how long a round trip will be from SDSU to UCSD and vice versa to see how many vehicles will be needed. It takes some time to make it happen, but, if done right, the ridership can bring in more business to the neighborhoods the new line will serve. If you'd like, I can create a sketch of the routes when I have free time, post them here, and we can discuss any potential tweaks... given the nature of the roadways that bus line will go through, I think a standard 35- or 40-foot bus would work best as starters, with a potential to be upgraded to 60-foot artics if it proves to be popular.
Yes, please do a sketch and put it on here.

They still have 35 foot buses in the SDMTS fleet? I know there are some shorter ones in the upper end of the 2700 series that are used on the 992.

To really do it right, they should be in the old 'suburban' configuration but with handicapped access and a space for wheelchairs.

T-W
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:13 AM   #113
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

They still have 35 foot buses in the SDMTS fleet? I know there are some shorter ones in the upper end of the 2700 series that are used on the 992.

To really do it right, they should be in the old 'suburban' configuration but with handicapped access and a space for wheelchairs.

T-W
The 35-footer buses are mainly used for the 201, 202, and 204 Superloop services around UCSD, hence my idea. And I think the current seating layout for that run would be better off in an urban format since you'll expect quite a lot of standees, especially you'll be running it between two universities.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:59 PM   #114
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Do they have enough of the 35's to start a new service on the frequency I mentioned earlier? If not, would they get some from elsewhere or just use 40 footers? With 40 foot buses you will have fewer standees. At least as far as coaches go, a new 35 foot coach costs almost as much as a new 40 foot coach. I don't know if that also holds true for buses. That makes sense when you figure that all the expensive stuff (engine, drivetrain, suspension, steering, air system, HVAC and so on) will be the same on both versions.

T-W
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:21 AM   #115
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

The BRT opened earlier this month:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego times
The San Diego region’s first bus rapid transit, which planners view as almost as quick and comfortable as riding the trolley, begins Sunday on Interstate 15 between Escondido and downtown San Diego.

Rapid buses will leave every 15 minutes during rush hours and every 30 minutes at other times, travel in the express lanes of I-15, and make only nine stops. Travel time to downtown will be about an hour.

"In just a few days, San Diego will have a totally different way of traveling" said Poway Mayor Don Higginson at a press conference introducing the new buses.

<snip>

To kick off the service, MTS is offering free rides Sunday and celebrations open to the public at transit centers in Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Sabre Springs and City Heights.

<snip>

SANDAG, San Diego’s regional planning agency, and the MTS are planning to invest several hundred million dollars to build a bus rapid transit network. Three more routes are planned, including Rancho Bernardo to UC San Diego, San Diego State University through Mid-City to downtown, and Otay Mesa to downtown.

Link to story Here

Klausenburg, Tyger-Wyger, geometarkv liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #116
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

T-W
Finally, after sketching this in class while listening to a lively discussion... the map you've been waiting for:

The red line would be the recommended route, while the dashed blue line would be a "modification" to the original, and the green would be light rail. What do you think?

Originally sketched in pencil, then overlaid with my own set of colored pens. Also of note: this route will provide direct access to Qualcomm Stadium (for Chargers games) and Mission San Diego de Alcala. And by the way, at SDSU Transit Center, buses will enter through Hardy Road and exit through College Avenue.

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #117
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for your map. Very good that you included the connecting bus routes.

Below is a slightly modified version of what I posted earlier.

I was thinking of a fast service that would connect the two academic centers. That would be from UCSD to University City via La Jolla Village Drive and Gennessee Avenue to CA-52 to Convoy Street to Claremont Mesa Blvd passing through the Kearny Mesa Transit Center (connections to other express and local buses) on the way to I-15 and I-8 to Fairmount Avenue and Monetzuma Drive up to SDSU using the SDSU Transit Center and Aztec Circle Drive as a turnaround loop. You could also stay on I-8 for one more exit to College Drive and enter the SDSU campus that way, again passing through the SDSU Transit Center.

What you drew looks good but it seems to be a local route on surface streets. I would not have added the excursion to the Claremont Shopping Center as it takes the bus in the opposite direction.

T-W
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #118
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The reason why I wanted to extend it via Clairemont Shopping Center is because the current alignment of Line 44 ends there, and it does not provide a direct connection to either University City (via Genessee Avenue) or to other areas of the east side of the city. With that setup, there will be a one-ride connection between UTC, Clairemont Mesa, Qualcomm, Grantville, and SDSU instead of switching lines somewhere to get between destinations.

And speaking of your suggestions, I thought of it and have the idea of it becoming a limited-stop service that will stop at mostly shopping and recreational destinations, as well as provide connections to other bus lines and transit centers (Kearny Mesa, UTC, and SDSU). Here's the revised version, using I-805, I-15, and I-8 (technically, for the I-8 portion, it will use mostly freeway ramps to connect I-15 with Fairmount Avenue):

Do you think it is a more feasible option as a frequent bus line?

With that setup, you will get Clairemont Mesa Blvd as a Limited-Stop zone (to complement existing local services along the roadway, including Lines 27 and 44) and Montezuma Road (to complement Lines 11 and 955), and all the surface (non-freeway) portions will be limited stop to enhance travel times.

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #119
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Does anyone have any current information about San Diego developing a modern street car network (not the vintage silver line)? I thought I read somewhere that MTS, as part of its long range plan, was considering several modern street car line. IIRC, they were along Park Blvd, 30th Street, and a short line into Little Italy area.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #120
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for that modification. Now we are pretty close.

I'd start at UTC Transit center, go north on Genesee up to La Jolla Village Drive and turn left. Then continue up to Village La Jolla Drive and turn right. I'd make the loop into the VA Medical Center and go back to Village La Jolla up to Gilman Drive. Left there to Scholars Drive South. This becomes Muir Lane and then Muir College Drive. That soon becomes Scholars Drive North which would be followed to the end at UCSD North Point Driveway. You're forced to the right here. Follow that up straight on and it becomes Hopkins Drive. Go left on Voight Drive up to Campus Point Drive and turn left. Then to Genesee again and turn right back to La Jolla Village Drive. Go left there and take that to I 805 south and from there to CA 52 east. Stay on this up to the Convoy Street exit. Go right onto Convoy and turn left onto Claremont Mesa Drive. Continue up to the Kearny Mesa Transit Center (the only stop along here for this line). Keep going on Claremont Mesa up to I-15 south and continue to I-8 east. Take the first exit onto Fairmount Drive. Go right and then left onto Montezuma. Follow this up to Campanile Drive and turn left. Then continue to Hardy Avenue and the SDSU Transit Center. Now turn right onto College Avenue and continue to Lindo Paso. Make two left turns to get back onto College Avenue and continue to the street that leads to the SDSU Campus Parking. Again, two quick lefts back onto College Avenue and go to Canyon Crest Drive. Follow that to Aztec Circle Drive up to the Avenue of Art and turn left. This later becomes Scripps Terrace. Follow that up to Canyon Crest Drive again and turn left. Follow this up to 55th Street and turn left again. Follow this back to Montezuma and return to UCSD. Stop at all existing SDMTS bus stops from 55th and Montezuma into the SDSU TC and then at the new stops on the new part of this route that doesn't duplicate any other services. The same goes for the service on UCSD campus. Use all existing bus stops from the UTC TC up to Genesee and La Jolla Village Drive. Some new stops on campus will have to be added on the part of the route that is not covered by existing routes.

I know that bit about two times two left turns on College Avenue sounds crazy but I can't see any other way of getting a bus from the SDSU TC up to Aztec Crcle.

At some future time the Blue Line will be extended from America Plaza or Santa Fe Depot and Old Town up to UCSD. When that happens it may be necessary to rethink this service as it may be quicker to get from UCSD to SDSU by the Blue and Green Lines than by using this bus route. My choice for a route number for this service is 267 Rapid Express SDSU-UCSD or 267 Rapid Express UCSD-SDSU.

I drew all this out but I'm afraid that I would be the only person able to read it. My drawing and lettering skills are not nearly as good and as clear as yours.

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; June 27th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.

Tags
san diego, us light rail