daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1041
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Amazon Phase V (is that right?) is under construction. 6th and Blanchard just broke the ground and I think it is safe to move it to under construction or wait a bit if you prefer.

Please remove 3rd and Cedar and its old rendering because it is now called Alto Apartments. Thanks!
OK I removed 3rd and Cedar.

Is the Amazon building more of a mid-rise? I'm wondering if that shouldn't go in the mid-rise thread???

I'm going to be a bit of a skeptic for a while, so I won't count anything as "under construction" until they've started digging a hole in the ground.

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1042
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 392

There IS an Amazon thread.
CityView Jim no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1043
CityView Jim

Nice article and pics on the Gates Foundation:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...scampus22.html
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1044
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
OK I removed 3rd and Cedar.

Is the Amazon building more of a mid-rise? I'm wondering if that shouldn't go in the mid-rise thread???

I'm going to be a bit of a skeptic for a while, so I won't count anything as "under construction" until they've started digging a hole in the ground.
Amazon Phase V is around 12 stories high which is little taller than typical mid-rises. I recall you had Mosler Loft (12 stories too) on Seattle Development thread a couple years ago before it got removed a while ago.

I forgot the name of proposed apartment towers... The one near 8th West/1918. Another ones are twin towers on 2nd and Stewart.

There is new renderings for Denny & Stewart: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID2675.pdf

I didn't see Cinemas Tower on the list yet. Please add it on the list.

Much thanks!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1045
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 627

It's the same height as a 16 story apartment.
mhays no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1046
meku

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Nice article and pics on the Gates Foundation:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...scampus22.html
Most anti-urban project of the past decade. One thing that isn't quite clear to me, is public access to the campus. Anyone know if it's going to be open ?
meku no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1047
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 188

Also at the Union Station event, I talked to the North Lot developers, who had set up a table. They said that the west podium and two towers on top of the podium will break ground in August (I thought only the podium was going to break ground then), and he said that they should be finished by the end of 2012, although that seems like a ridiculously fast construction schedule.
alexjonlin no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1048
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 163

That's great! Thanks for let us know.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1049
Seasun

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by meku View Post
Most anti-urban project of the past decade. One thing that isn't quite clear to me, is public access to the campus. Anyone know if it's going to be open ?
I think the only area considered to be "open" is the main entry pavillion which is at the north end of the Seattle Center garage. At this location there is a view into the courtyard. I checked it out recently and it's a pretty cool viewpoint but I kind of felt like I was looking into a neighbor's backyard/private space where staff can hang out and have lunch outside.

In general this complex is probably one of the most secure buildings in the region. Most security provisions no one will see and a lot of people just think of it as a nice office building. Once you start realizing there might be some wackos that are pissed they didn't get funding or they're pissed that a certain group was funded (maybe abortion or stem cell research - just two random examples - I don't know if the foundation actually supports these) then the major security seems more appropriate.
Seasun no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1050
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
Also at the Union Station event, I talked to the North Lot developers, who had set up a table. They said that the west podium and two towers on top of the podium will break ground in August (I thought only the podium was going to break ground then), and he said that they should be finished by the end of 2012, although that seems like a ridiculously fast construction schedule.
On the fence at the site (corner of King and Occidental), there is a tremendous photo gallery showing that exact or near site over time. Great photos I had never seen before. I had never known that what is the Kingdome parking lot was once a large train staging area. But go soon--two pix have already been ripped off and a third defaced by graffiti.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1051
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 188

Yeah I've seen those pictures, it's pretty incredible that basically everything south of King all the way from Occidental to 5th or so was railyard up to a few decades ago.
alexjonlin no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1052
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
I don't think that schedule is realistic. I think the excavation work (if any) will take longer that normal due to soil conditions (based on what I observed at 2 nearby projects, Home Plate Center and the one building on 1st between the Triangle Pub and the Seattle Hardware Building).
Vashon118 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:35 AM   #1053
meku

Went on a walk down from Cap Hill to the Folklife Festival and snapped some photos here and there.

First two shots are of SU's new student housing on 12th and E James, taken two weeks ago actually. I don't know if its the zoning or some other externalities, but this is too short by at least 2 floors for 12th Ave. As for the buildings themselves, they didn't turn out great (renderings looked better) but at least the design is consistent.

Next we have Bellevue Terrace with a decent tempo. One downsize is that they're using part of the parking lot belonging to the abandoned building next door (Pine and Bellevue) for staging, so we won't see it come down for a while (just a guess though).

Infill on Queen Ave N. (across from Mediterranean Inn) Anyone seen the renderings for this one ? Personal note: I always liked the neighbor to the north.

The Old QFC site on Republican and Warren; buildings are gone, signs of imminent digging. Big empty lot=good density coming with this one.

The Elliot Bay View Apartments.

This was also the first time I've been to Seattle Center since they hacked Fun Forrest. Lots of exposed pavement - quick, someone claim it for some parking !

The Arcade Building looked empty as well.

Time for Bill and Melinda Gates campus. I really want to like it but for some reason the buildings just fall short in my opinion. Technically everything is there: quality materials, lots of windows, tons of unique, environmental-friendly features... but in the end it just doesn't all come together for me. Good for Bellevue's Eastgate, not the best fit for Seattle.

I do appreciate the streetscape though, good job there with small architecture.

While taking photos, I was zealously observed by two security personnel. Not the best feeling (more akin to Eastern Europe's enclosed and secured apartment complexes for the rich) - and so close to arguably the most famous tourist attraction of Seattle.

Last, 224 Broadway - I still stand by my "crane by summer" prediction.

Last edited by meku; May 31st, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
meku no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:57 AM   #1054
CityView Jim

I'm starting to agree with your Crane By Summer prediction. This hole is coming along quickly. And for only 3 floors, it'll be faster than I thought.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM   #1055
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 1034

224 Broadway is a surprisingly large building site. Although it is not a full block, this block is wider east to west than the block to the north. This will be a fairly large project that will bri g density very near the Link LRT station.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1056
meku

Also, the building will have office space ( similar to the new Broadway Building I assume) and 72 commercial parking spaces (on top of 235 residential units and ~250 parking stalls). Even the design is pretty decent, mimicking the Brix rather than the Joule - one thing that I'm not sold on, are the colorful railings on balconies. Overall though it's a very good project for Broadway. The construction should be over by Jan 2013.
meku no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1057
mhays
Journeyman

Damned if this 118-unit project on LQA, not heard from since 2008, didn't just get a building permit. http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID2550.pdf
mhays no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1058
Seasun

Likes (Received): 167

Faces onto Aurora. Amazing place to live. Good option for some people who might get a great view (with noise) and other people who choose units away from the highway.
Seasun no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1059
mhays
Journeyman

Not my favorite location, but it has some advantages. At midnight, it'll have cars whizzing by instead of cars stopped at a light with their idiot stereos. And not much car alarm noise.

With exterior hallways and a low parking ratio, this looks like an affordable (i.e. middle-priced) building. The land is probably cheaper too. All in all, good project.
mhays no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:13 AM   #1060
CityView Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Damned if this 118-unit project on LQA, not heard from since 2008, didn't just get a building permit. http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID2550.pdf
I'm usually forgiving of design where others go "UGGH!!" But, that is one of the ugliest new construction projects I've seen in some time. It'll fit in perfectly in that area of already ugly buildings.

Closed Thread

Tags
seattle