daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #381
sky_india

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGuy View Post
If you mean 1WTC in NYC, it could hardly be the tallest one with 1776 feet only (which is its height including the spire).

it's not the tallest, it's a desperate attempt to be the tallest. Otherwise I don't find the point of adding such spire at the top end of the tower. It could have been of a reasonable length as well.
sky_india no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #382
watcher09
One Of A Kind!

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_india View Post
it's not the tallest, it's a desperate attempt to be the tallest. Otherwise I don't find the point of adding such spire at the top end of the tower. It could have been of a reasonable length as well.
I saw 1WTC personally in NYC. Its spire is just fine and I like the design. The people behind it wouldn't aspire for the tallest in the world (if that's what you mean) by just adding a spire since the current tallest is almost twice the height of 1WTC. If you are right with that "desperate attempt" theory, then they have to make a spire as tall as the building they are constructing.
watcher09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #383
sky_india

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher09 View Post
I saw 1WTC personally in NYC. Its spire is just fine and I like the design. The people behind it wouldn't aspire for the tallest in the world (if that's what you mean) by just adding a spire since the current tallest is almost twice the height of 1WTC. If you are right with that "desperate attempt" theory, then they have to make a spire as tall as the building they are constructing.
yes, I may have exaggerated.
But dont' you get the point. the height is not just fine. the spire is too long. 300 ft. It's not a joke. If you see the diagram it shows where the top of the building ends and where the spire begins. it's alteast 300 ft. taller than normal (fine) spires.
sky_india no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #384
kailash9999

Likes (Received): 1590

Copyright of Savz, Cross Posting from the Mumbai Sub-Forum;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savz View Post
08-12-2012
[IMG]http://oi47.************/28t8kt0.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #385
Orhan gasanov

Likes (Received): 1

Mumbai is so beautiful
Orhan gasanov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #386
Enthusiast Finn

Likes (Received): 13

Mumbai World's "dirtiest" city: survey

Need serious attention on this issue from authorities.

India's commercial capital, Mumbai, has been named among the world's 'dirtiest' cities, ranking last in the "cleanest streets" category, a global survey of 40 key tourist cities has found.

According to TripAdvisor's Cities Survey, Tokyo grabbed the first place while Mumbai ranked last in the list of "cleanest streets".

Similarly in the category of "ease of getting around", Mumbai ranked at the last position while Zurich stood at first place, the company said in a press release.

The cities with the rudest locals, dirtiest streets and worst shopping have been revealed by the Survey which found that the least-friendly locals were from Moscow.

The Russian city ranked last in a number of categories, including "friendliest locals".
Tokyo was the most highly decorated world city, ranking number one for best taxi services, friendliest taxi drivers, best public transportation, cleanest streets and safety.

New York City took out the top gong for shopping, but travellers felt the city's streets could use a sweep with the Big Apple ranking 28 out of 40 for cleanliness.

"New York City's global reputation as a shopping mecca was reinforced by the opinions of the TripAdvisor community worldwide," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications of TripAdvisor.

The survey, completed by more than 75,000 people, looked into how travellers and locals viewed 40 key tourist cities around the world.
Enthusiast Finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #387
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 593

lol.Those tourists love to explore the slums only.Hence only dirt part is visible to them.And I guess this is a thread related to the construction of a building not for posting your surveys.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #388
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast Finn View Post
Mumbai World's "dirtiest" city: survey
Do you have anything other than posting "slum" things about Mumbai? I have seen your posts. Now I don't believe you are from Delhi. Better watch out!

If you haven't noticed this thread is a construction update thread. Go and post this stuff in the infrastructure thread if you got nothing else to do other than convincing the world that entire Mumbai is a shithole. Only idiots will buy that. I wonder where you are really from?!!....I probably won't be surprised.
dunefreezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #389
deekshith
DELETED

Likes (Received): 1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
lol.Those tourists love to explore the slums only.Hence only dirt part is visible to them.
True... For foreign tourists and international media Dharavi/slum=Mumbai=India
deekshith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #390
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreezer View Post
Do you have anything other than posting "slum" things about Mumbai? I have seen your posts. Now I don't believe you are from Delhi. Better watch out!

If you haven't noticed this thread is a construction update thread. Go and post this stuff in the infrastructure thread if you got nothing else to do other than convincing the world that entire Mumbai is a shithole. Only idiots will buy that. I wonder where you are really from?!!....I probably won't be surprised.
Even I think so.He is not from Delhi.We all know where he belongs to.
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #391
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5553

Great project for India!
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #392
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Yes a good addition.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #393
kailash9999

Likes (Received): 1590

Copyright of IndiansUnite, Crossposting from the India Sub-Forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
shot these yesterday from the Kamala mills compound

World One + Lotus Complex + Palais Royale
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #394
LADEN
Solid As A Rock

Likes (Received): 986

India doing it up big, nice.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:53 PM   #395
India Rulz
India Rulz

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekshith View Post
True... For foreign tourists and international media Dharavi/slum=Mumbai=India
Quite true....they cannot bear the fact that a country like India is creating cities which will beat nyc and chicago in future. In this regard, we should do something like China. They have taught these western ******* tourists a lesson.......once you land in Shanghai, you are taken by Maglev to the downtown, Pudyong. These sadists dont get the view of Shanghai slums. This should be done in Mumbai.....foreign tourists taken to Worli or BKC DIRECTLY.......
India Rulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #396
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3645

It's not that we can't bear the fact, rather that we can't comprehend it. For as long as most of us can remember, we've seen Western cities depicted as "sterile" glass-and-steel-and-concrete environments, washed over by rain every other day and with every building proudly built according to strict building codes. It's not necessarily the truth, but rather how we like to regard ourselves (it's not how we should regard ourselves either).

In contrast, when picturing places far away, like India and China, our media likes to portray it as more "exotic" and "foreign" than it might be in reality. The (until recently) history of poverty and pollution becomes more defining of the countries than it really should be. The people there look different to us, the culture is different to ours, the climate is certainly different, so we don't expect your cities to look the same as ours. And the media loves nothing better than a good stereotype. They don't like wasting time and words explaining "this is in India", so they just roll on with what we expect things are like in India: Taj Mahal apparently always situated right across the street, jungles, slums, lots of people in Saris and Turbans everywhere (possibly swimming in a river), cows walking the street, that entire package.

And then when our tourists go to India, they expect the place to be like they've always seen it in movies, on TV or in the news. They seek out places looking like that, they take pictures to show their friends and relatives back home. Very few tourists seek to experience the country for what it is, they want to get their views confirmed, to experience the stuff they've envisioned in their minds (this in turn leads to an evil spiral of short-sightedness, by the way).

China has always been renowned for the Great Wall, the tombs of the emperors, and the cities. Always the cities. That's what the tourists come for. India is more diffuse, a mix of several places to go, things to see. The mythology, the marketplaces, the temples, the nature... whereas China is mostly "see the cities". China can change their image by changing their cities. India will have a harder time changing in the eyes of Western mainstream media, simply because it's harder to pinpoint things to change. The communists wiped out much of Chinas exotic-ness, causing our media to depict it as "another communist place, but with lots and lots of people". Then in recent years, it's become "a somewhat communist place with lots and lots of people and lots and lots of money", thanks to globalization and the increased focus on China's economy in the media. In our eyes, India is still... well, India. Still exotic, with that mysterious and exciting culture, cities with sprawling slums, strange animals and people everywhere.

In short, western tourists don't expect India to be filled with "Western" cities. They expect it to be that place they keep seeing in media. It's by no means a bad place, you won't find many people with a negative opinion on the country, but they expect it to be a tad more exotic than it might be in reality.

Effer liked this post

Last edited by Kyll.Ing.; January 2nd, 2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Changed poor wording
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:43 AM   #397
Tandax

Likes (Received): 451

Good post and great to see Mumbai and India booming.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:03 AM   #398
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

hows currently height now..??
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:37 AM   #399
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post

In short, western tourists don't expect India to be filled with "Western" cities. They expect it to be that place they keep seeing in media. It's by no means a bad place, you won't find many people with a negative opinion on the country, but they expect it to be a tad more exotic than it might be in reality.
That's just about any country, take for example my own, everyone sees Mexico for what they see in the media, not by what it really is.
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM   #400
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

More photos please.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
madrid, mumbai