daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #181
LuvHighrisers

Likes (Received): 15

Just curious...do you think the USF’s School of Architecture and Community Design department was involved at all in this project?
LuvHighrisers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #182
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 710

SFAIK, the job was farmed out to a design/build firm and built as quickly as possible.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #183
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 748

CAMLS to officially open today

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...downtown_train

Quote:

Thanks to a new University of South Florida medical training facility, Tampa is on its way to becoming a major center for training physicians in the latest technologies.

Ribbon cutting ceremonies are scheduled today for the dedication of USF’s Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS).

The $38 million complex is a one-of-a-kind facility that will help train new and current doctors in using state of the art medical technologies.

"This is the first center in the country that’s partnered with people from around the world to look at how we assess the technical and teamwork competence of physicians," said USF Health CEO Dr. Stephen Klasko.

CAMLS could attract 30,000 doctors a year to the Bay area for training.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #184
Jasonhouse

Yep, this project still exemplifies Tampa's dipshit planning process. Oh wait, there was no planning process.
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #185
Jasonhouse

Yep, it's still nowhere near meeting the claims made by proponents...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/...slowly/2160692
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #186
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #187
Brian72

Likes (Received): 241

IMO, this does ad some diversity and appeal to downtown.

I would rather this had been a high-rise too but moving forward, there are much better locations still vacant so how long do we wait for the 'right' project?

tampasteve liked this post
Brian72 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #188
Jasonhouse

^My problem is the horrible planning decision made by letting this size and type of project being built where it was built.
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #189
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

I agree. The center itself isn't bad. It's the location that is horrendous.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #190
Jasonhouse

Indeed, the CAMLS center is a good project worthy of city help with the land... just not a suburban style single-tenant, single-use building on Franklin St (a corridor where walkup store fronts are vital), and next to a streetcar station.
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #191
Brian72

Yeah, but across the street, the buildings and land use is far worse.

Walk up store fronts are great but they will be empty since there is zero residential in the immediate area. Visitors to the convention center are not enough to support retail there, this is the business district of the metro area IMO.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #192
Szemeredy
Driving in Circles

Likes (Received): 254

CAMLS should have been on the main campus. Bull Runner ferries doctors back and forth between the facility on a regular basis, which isn't cheap. Yes, it's close to TGH, but then.... maybe you should have built it at TGH?
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #193
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szemeredy View Post
CAMLS should have been on the main campus. Bull Runner ferries doctors back and forth between the facility on a regular basis, which isn't cheap. Yes, it's close to TGH, but then.... maybe you should have built it at TGH?
TGH is overbuilt on that land already. Our son was in the NICU for 5 months and all I can say is that even though its a nice place, its a terrible layout. I understand how they grew over the years but to add another building over there with already maxed out parking seems like a bad idea.

Of course there are other buildings around TGH that could go in order to build.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #194
Jasonhouse

^Pretty sure he's talking about all of the land TGH owns along Kennedy now. Which btw, they were well aware of before this site was picked.
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #195
Szemeredy
Driving in Circles

Likes (Received): 254

USF has always strived for a greater downtown presence to offset the UT campus buzz. A sort of "Hey, we're a big player in Tampa and not just some college out in the 'burbs" type thing. The problem is that they approached it from the same mindset that they would apply to one of their campuses instead of a location within the downtown core. A little stubby building like that belongs on Davis Islands or somewhere else that isn't in prime skyscraper territory.

At the very least, CAMLS should have been integrated as the first 5-6 floors of a larger building project similar to One Progress Plaza in St. Petersburg. A limestone tower with green tinted windows would have been pretty awesome and put an exclamation point on the project.

densitymatters liked this post

Last edited by Szemeredy; January 16th, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #196
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szemeredy View Post
USF has always strived for a greater downtown presence to offset the UT campus buzz. A sort of "Hey, we're a big player in Tampa and not just some college out in the 'burbs" type thing. The problem is that they approached it from the same mindset that they would apply to one of their campuses instead of a location within the downtown core. A little stubby building like that belongs on Davis Islands or somewhere else that isn't in prime skyscraper territory.

At the very least, CAMLS should have been integrated as the first 5-6 floors of a larger building project similar to One Progress Plaza in St. Petersburg. A limestone tower with green tinted windows would have been pretty awesome and put an exclamation point on the project.
I happen to disagree, there are plenty of lower buildings throughout downtown including the buildings across the street.

The area up by Zack has lots of 3 and 4 story buildings that are interesting and are located next to high-rises, no complaint about them?

My thoughts are they add some character and interest at the ground level. We are not going to see too many more office high rises soon and since this is in the business district, your not going to see any residential tower here. Better to have the CAMLs there now then the empty lot for 10 years. I would rather see other buildings or vacant lots be high-rises moving forward.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #197
Jasonhouse

This site is next to a massive and underutilized public garage, as well as the new terminus of the streetcar. It is also a cornerstone property on the Franklin corridor. There is a large gap between TCC and Whiting along Franklin, where peds have little reason to walk. If this site was even remotely sensitive to its location, that would have changed for the better. From a planning perspective, this project suuucks. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #198
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
This site is next to a massive and underutilized public garage, as well as the new terminus of the streetcar. It is also a cornerstone property on the Franklin corridor. There is a large gap between TCC and Whiting along Franklin, where peds have little reason to walk. If this site was even remotely sensitive to its location, that would have changed for the better. From a planning perspective, this project suuucks. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
We all know that the nearby Trammel Crow project, South Gate has been held up due to the lack of need for more class A office space. There is also a hotel planned but that would be after the 20 story office building was started.

You can say that is sucks but its not your money so to have an opinion in opposition to the developer and owner based on what you want is not right. I am sure that if someone saw this the way you do, they would have been all over it. Is your goal to have people walking the street by building more empty storefronts? that's not really a plan in my book.

Either you agree that its better than what was there ( nothing ) or agree that the type of building going in as a high-rise is not feasible in the downtown at this time.
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #199
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I agree. Considering the TCC is now effectively boxed in and cut off from any chance of expansion, these lots might have been a logical expansion option with close city owned parking. The city should have leveraged that to get ground floor space for the TCC and hotel space above. They're running out of options for TCC and not thinking about future needs.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #200
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN View Post
I agree. Considering the TCC is now effectively boxed in and cut off from any chance of expansion, these lots might have been a logical expansion option with close city owned parking. The city should have leveraged that to get ground floor space for the TCC and hotel space above. They're running out of options for TCC and not thinking about future needs.
I do not see this as an attractive location for TCC, its a little too far and serves no functional purpose for them. If anything, the TCC needs to go up, way up on its current site. The heat and rain are also major factors, so anything not connected or right next door is not feasible IMO.

As a convention goer, you don't want to have to walk at all outside of the convention if not by choice. The current height of the TCC is rather low considering their options, they could build directly above with hotel accommodations and make much better use of that waterfront property.

The old Trump Tower site is still empty so don't expect something big would go where CAMLs is.

gstolze liked this post