daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #61
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18219

By various photographers from a Hong Kong transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #62
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

^
Excellent pics... Makes me feel very nostalgic

I really must post mine from the last day of the #38... My Other Half's asleep in the bedroom, and that's where the PC with my pics on it is.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #63
hkskyline
Hong Kong

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #64
Riise

Likes (Received): 12

Hey, I have a question for the London folk. I've heard contradicting reports of the future of all double deckers in London. Is it true that they are no longer placing orders for double deckers and they will be completely phased out?
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #65
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Hey, I have a question for the London folk. I've heard contradicting reports of the future of all double deckers in London. Is it true that they are no longer placing orders for double deckers and they will be completely phased out?
No, there are plenty of new ones still being built. Bendies are favoured for the busiest routes (38, 73, 25 etc), but the majority of routes are still double decker and will remain so. Bendies allow greater capacity and quicker loading / unloading times, and although I really miss the Routemaster from my route (the 38), I must say the days of standing at the bus stop as full routemaster after full routemaster sped past are gone... you can always squeeze onto a 'bendy'... I know the capacity is officially 150, but I've seen easily 200 people crammed onto one (routemasters only acommodated about 70 seated and 5 standing).
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #66
Minato ku

Routemaster in Paris, december 2005

Old April 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #67
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Yes, thats the big winner. I live in Bow and whilst the Number 8 goes sailing past you can allways count on a quick, if intimate, ride on the 25.

I'd rather a full bus than being left in the rain...
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #68
Quente
Al-l-,

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
No, there are plenty of new ones still being built. Bendies are favoured for the busiest routes (38, 73, 25 etc), but the majority of routes are still double decker and will remain so. Bendies allow greater capacity and quicker loading / unloading times, and although I really miss the Routemaster from my route (the 38), I must say the days of standing at the bus stop as full routemaster after full routemaster sped past are gone... you can always squeeze onto a 'bendy'... I know the capacity is officially 150, but I've seen easily 200 people crammed onto one (routemasters only acommodated about 70 seated and 5 standing).
Tubeman -
I read through this entire thread and it sounds like you've had a change of heart about the Bendies. Your initial reaction to the Bendies was quite negative - which matched my feelings. (Between the call boxes and the RMs, it seems that a distinct part of Britain's cultural identity is slowly fading away).

Since I haven't been able to experience the new buses firsthand yet (I'm returning to London this summer after a 7-year hiatus!), I'm curious about your new perspective: Is it more a case of resignation or are they in fact superior to the RMs?
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #69
Riise

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
No, there are plenty of new ones still being built. Bendies are favoured for the busiest routes (38, 73, 25 etc), but the majority of routes are still double decker and will remain so...
Thanks for clearing that up Tubeman! When I was in London a few years back I remember reading an article that stated the end of all double deckers in London had been planned, yet when I searched the net I couldn't find anything to back up those claims. Personally, I really enjoy riding in double deckers when I'm in London. I'm glad that I'll still be able to do so for many years to come!
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #70
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente View Post
Tubeman -
I read through this entire thread and it sounds like you've had a change of heart about the Bendies. Your initial reaction to the Bendies was quite negative - which matched my feelings. (Between the call boxes and the RMs, it seems that a distinct part of Britain's cultural identity is slowly fading away).

Since I haven't been able to experience the new buses firsthand yet (I'm returning to London this summer after a 7-year hiatus!), I'm curious about your new perspective: Is it more a case of resignation or are they in fact superior to the RMs?
Its more quiet resignation so I've tried to look for the good in bendies. In my opinion RMs were superior for Central London bus routes, and I stand by this.

The main difference is the ability to jump on and off RMs wherever you wanted... perfect for stop-start traffic. On a bendy you can be stuck tanatlisingly close to the next bus stop for 5 minutes with the driver refusing to open the doors to let you off.

Bendies also take up far too much roadspace, if 2 or 3 turn up at a stop at once the bus at the back is a long old sprint away from the stop, and people often miss buses for this reason. If you're sat at the back of a sardine-packed bendy you need to start trying to move toward the nearest set of doors about 2 stops before yours because it is such a nightmare squeezing through the throngs of people to get to the doors... I think the seating layout is very poor.

The fact that they don't have air con is ridiculous... surely new Mercedes buses have A/C as standard, it must have been left off the London order as a (false) economy, or to be more environmentally friendly... the trouble is there aren't many openable windows, so on a hot summer's day bendies are horrible: at least on a RM you could open up all the windows and get a good breeze through. My final gripe is probably more to do with the drivers, but the heating is on even when its mild outside and it can be like a furnace... obviously if its Winter everyone's well wrapped up anyway, so you don't need to be stepping onto a bus that's 26C inside.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #71
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

so u know what, ive never seen an RM from behind. Im familiar with the front, just not the back.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #72
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

London Bus System

Hi everyone. I'm writing an essay about improving transit in Halifax and I was looking for a picture of the bus maps that they have on the sign poles in downtown London, UK. They show the times and the route map in a linear form. If anyone has a pic it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM   #73
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

http://www.geographos.com/mapas/foto...sm_Londres.jpg

That is the very central London only but it's all I can find (I looked uo to page 18 on google images), good luck with you're essay! In my home town bus routs aren't even numberd.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #74
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonovision View Post
Hi everyone. I'm writing an essay about improving transit in Halifax and I was looking for a picture of the bus maps that they have on the sign poles in downtown London, UK. They show the times and the route map in a linear form. If anyone has a pic it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
All the 'spider' bus maps are available on the TFL website at: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1110.aspx
The individual route timetables which you refer to are available from:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/4867.aspx
Just put in a route number or stop name and click through to find a PDf of one of the on pole timeable maps.

Oh and we don't say 'downtown' in the UK
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #75
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Spider maps are so much better than the old-style ones. I'm so glad we got them.

Just an example, as there are spider maps focussed on almost every area in London. This one's focussed around Liverpool Street.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...treet-2161.pdf
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #76
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Spider maps are cool. Singapore's rail and bus maps are taking after London's great examples, albeit not as good as them for now.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #77
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I really like those spider maps, especially the abridged ones at the bus stops showing how many minutes it'll take to get to key areas. I don't need a Central London Bus Map anymore.

Old October 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #78
Tubeman
Jubilation

London's buses absolutely rock (in terms of routes and coverage)... I just wish they'd bloody put air con on them!!!

Amazing factoid: 1.5 billion passengers carried / year on 700 routes and 6,800 buses

I use the bus over the Tube any day
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM   #79
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Scrap the Bendy Bus and Bring Back Routemasters, Says Boris
11 September 2007
The Evening Standard

BORIS JOHNSON has vowed that his first act as Mayor of London will be to scrap bendy buses and replace them with a modern-day Routemaster.

Mr Johnson said that the controversial buses were abused by fare dodgers and highly dangerous to cyclists.

Speaking at the first Tory candidates hustings meeting, the MP for Henley said that he would introduce a new version of the Routemaster bus that had been axed by Ken Livingstone. Their replacement would be fully accessible for the disabled and mothers with buggies.

He said: 'We should on day one, act one, scene one, hold a competition to get rid of the bendy bus. They wipe out cyclists, there are many cyclists killed every year by them.

'It's not beyond the wit of man to design a new Routemaster which will stand as an icon of this city.'

Mr Johnson also said that he would stand up for the 'many' in London who depended on their car and vowed to spend more of the congestion charge on repairing roads, particularly outside the centre of the city.

Just 10 million of the nearly 1 billion raised by the congestion charge had gone on improving roads, he said.

In a question and answer session in Westminster last night, the Tory front-runner also called for all ethnic minority communities in London to have a 'good command of English'.

He said: 'It's tragic that there are people in the second and third generations who still don't speak English.

'If you don't speak English, you cannot take part in the economy and that's one of the reasons those communities are doing badly.'

Mr Livingstone has already attacked him in personal terms, Mr Johnson claimed, with the Mayor suggesting he was a racist, a Right-winger and a friend of convicted fraudster Darius Guppy. He said that the public were ready for a new face to run London. 'I think the fact that he has been at it for so long... is now turning into his single biggest weakness,' he said.

Fellow candidate Victoria Borwick called for police to end the practice of patrolling in pairs, while Andrew Boff vowed to axe the congestion charge.

Warwick Lightfoot praised the Mayor's fight against Gordon Brown over the PPP for the Tube.

Mr Boff was the only candidate to pledge to scrap the congestion charge completely and to axe free child travel on buses. He said: 'The congestion charge contract comes up in 2009. It doesn't just need mending, it doesn't need extending, it needs ending.'

Both Mr Boff and Mr Lightfoot suggested Mr Johnson was not the man for the job.

Mr Boff said that the capital had had enough of 'celebrity' politicians, while Mr Lightfoot said the Tories needed a candidate 'without baggage'.

Old October 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM   #80
Tubeman
Jubilation

Populatist rubbish from a dickhead who has probably never set foot on public transport in his life.

RMs are not DDA compliant, end of story