daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 40

NEW YORK | One Manhattan West | 303m | 995ft | 67 fl | U/C

Brookfield Taps SOM for Other West Side Rail Yards

by Eliot Brown | February 21, 2008

Brookfield Properties seems to like the architectural veterans over at Skidmore Owings and Merrill these days. Brookfield brought on the longtime firm to design its two signature towers in its bid for the West Side rail yards, and now the mega-office landlord has released an SOM-designed rendering for two office towers on a superblock to the east, bounded by 31st and 33rd streets, and Ninth and 10th Avenues (which are rather reminiscent of the designs for the rail yards to the east). The site currently opens to rail tracks that lead into Pennsylvania Station.

The Times’ Charles Bagli had a piece today on Brookfield’s development, and while the print edition had a small rendering, the online version went without it. Accordingly, I called over to the folks at Brookfield, and they gave us the pretty picture to the right.

Brookfield announced plans earlier this month to start construction on a $600 million platform over the rail tracks around June, with completion expected in 2010. The first of the office/mixed-use towers could see completion by 2013; though, as CEO Ric Clark told us a few months back, they probably won't build without a tenant

http://www.observer.com/2008/brookfi...ide-rail-yards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TowerVerre:), Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; November 15th, 2014 at 02:28 AM.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Wow, theres going to be like 7 buildings over 900ft right in that area.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3
krull
In Time

Work to Begin on Platform Over Tracks on the West Side

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: February 21, 2008

Despite a flagging economy, Brookfield Properties says it will start work in June on a $600 million platform over railroad tracks near Ninth Avenue, where it plans to build two towering office buildings.

Brookfield, a major commercial landlord in Manhattan, has owned the property between Ninth and Dyer Avenues, between 31st and 33rd Streets, for more than 22 years. But it has had difficulty luring a prominent company to what has long been regarded as Manhattan’s last real estate frontier.

The company now says the time is ripe to begin work. Development is pushing westward, and the site is only one block west of Pennsylvania Station. The vacancy rate for Manhattan office buildings is still relatively low, and the credit markets should recover fairly quickly from the subprime mortgage crisis, said Richard B. Clark, chief executive of Brookfield. “For a long time, we believed that the West Side would be the city’s next commercial zone,” Mr. Clark said. “It’s clear that the time is now to make something of this site.”

Brookfield’s project is no simple matter. More than half of the five-acre site is over railroad tracks, which extend from Pennsylvania Station to the West Side railyards. Brookfield must build a three-acre platform, while trains continue to run below, before it can start putting up its first building. It hopes to sign a major tenant during the two years the job is expected to take.

Brookfield’s architect, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, has designed two towers, a 1.9-million-square-foot building at the northeast corner of the site and a 3.4-million-square-foot building at the southeast corner.

In many respects, the project is a warm-up for the West Side railyards, where five developers are competing for the development rights. At the railyards, between 10th and 12th Avenues, from 30th to 34th Streets, developers will have to build two 13-acre platforms, at an estimated cost of $1.5 billion. They would then have the right to build 12 million square feet of high-rise office and residential buildings. Brookfield is one of the companies expected to submit a second round of bids to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Tuesday. But with concerns about the economy growing, many real estate executives and government officials worry that developers may reduce their offers.

Brookfield is not alone in pushing forward with new office projects. Even so, some real estate executives warn that some of those projects could be postponed, especially if the developer lacks an anchor tenant, and new buildings may not rise over the West Side railyards for years.

Over the past five years, developers have largely ignored office projects in favor of erecting lucrative residential towers, even though the destruction of the World Trade Center sharply reduced available office space. In that time, developers built only 16 commercial buildings with a total of 14.4 million square feet, according to the Real Estate Board of New York.

As companies expanded, space became tight and commercial rents soared, with many prime buildings now fetching more than $100 a square foot in annual rent. So developers are once again putting up office towers, some without an anchor tenant. There are four towers under construction, with a combined total of 6.7 million square feet, and another four towers with 11.3 million square feet planned.

SJP Properties is building a 1.1-million-square-foot tower at Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street. To the north, Boston Properties is excavating a site between 54th and 55th Streets for a 39-story, 1-million-square-foot building that is scheduled to be finished in 2010. A year from now, Boston Properties and its partner, Related Companies, plan to start a second tower, with 900,000 square feet, at Eighth Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets.

“We obviously continue to feel good about west Midtown,” said Robert E. Selsam, senior vice president of Boston Properties.

At the World Trade Center site, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is building the 2.6-million-square-foot Freedom Tower, and JPMorgan Chase has signed a deal to erect a 1.3-million-square-foot building nearby. And on Church Street, the developer Larry Silverstein is beginning work on what will be three 60-story skyscrapers with a total of 6.2 million square feet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/ny...=1&oref=slogin
* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Myster E

Likes (Received): 54

wow, these are really nice looking buildings, NYC really is booming with these new proposed supertalls, hard to keep track how many there are!
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5
MDguy
Balto

Nice towers! Very Simple yet classy! New York's on fire right now!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 21

wow, nice!

Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:51 PM   #7
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 9068

Hmm... I'd like to see some longer-distance renderings (i.e. skyline views) before I judge these. It looks like they're leaning over. I generally don't like buildings which "flop" like that.

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM   #8
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 50

Great to hear that it's the one that's going to be constructed! Is this a different proposal from the one's that were in the design competition?
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #9
GranGuayaquil

Likes (Received): 325

I simply love the simplicity on the design, but I would love to see renders form other angles just to make a better picture of the buildings in my mind...
GranGuayaquil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #10
krull
In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
Great to hear that it's the one that's going to be constructed! Is this a different proposal from the one's that were in the design competition?
Yes. This is a different development. I know is confusing but they already own this piece of land (above the rail yards) for more than 20 years. They are also bidding to get the western rail yards from the MTA. I hope is a little clear.

Here is the site they are talking about, although the Square Feet has been updated.

nancy811, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM   #11
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 72

I like the design, it's not tipping over btw.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:23 AM   #12
krull
In Time

I actually work on the 12 story building on the north part of the photo (where the residential arrow is pointing) that is next to that surface parking lot. But my company is moving for bigger space this year.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM   #13
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 135

MDguy said it all.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #14
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull View Post
Yes. This is a different development. I know is confusing but they already own this piece of land (above the rail yards) for more than 20 years. They are also bidding to get the western rail yards from the MTA. I hope is a little clear.

Here is the site they are talking about, although the Square Feet has been updated.

Ah alright. That's what I was confused about. I know they had this plot for a while, but the design for this building is so similar to the one they're using for the bidding that I got a bit mixed up. I'm happy they're using this design though, I just love it.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #15
philvia

Likes (Received): 21

this looks awkward but i was bored

tigalion, phoenixboi08 liked this post
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM   #16
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3153

still bored?

can u do it together with the hudson yard plan?

hehe

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #17
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 135

is that hight accurate philvia?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #18
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 194

Oh, realy nice!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #19
SoHype!
T O N I G H T

Likes (Received): 5692

Love it! non-conventional american building.

"El futuro es lo obsoleto en reversa". Vladimir Nabokov
a r c h i t e c t u r e / r e a l _ e s t a t e
SoHype! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM   #20
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 4900

WOW, NY is booming, classic design

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, supertall