daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2121
JamesDL

Likes (Received): 37

Hi all,

new renderings for 212/225 West 57th Street will be released by the end of September.
The tower was in redesign in the last couple of months by Adrian Smith & Gordon Hill.
The height will be listed as 1217'4'' (blueprints), and officially as 1253 feet (including the crown).

All I can say is, it will be a very fine tower and a gift to the evolving Manhattan skyline.

Regards,
James
JamesDL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2122
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Thanks for sharing this information. The news of this height is a bummer however. It will be a tad taller than the tower that will rise to the east of One57. 107-111 E 57th street at 1,200ft.

I guess that articles from Barnett hinting of a reduction and the article from Adrian Smith stating that they are working on a 1,200 ft tower in NYC is really for the Nordstrom Tower. I really hope the design of this tower will really wow me to over compensate the height reduction.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2123
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

What a waste of excitment.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2124
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Hi all,

new renderings for 212/225 West 57th Street will be released by the end of September.
The tower was in redesign in the last couple of months by Adrian Smith & Gordon Hill.
The height will be listed as 1217'4'' (blueprints), and officially as 1253 feet (including the crown).

All I can say is, it will be a very fine tower and a gift to the evolving Manhattan skyline.

Regards,
James
Thanks for the info. Do you work for Extell or the architect (or the gc)? Can you describe the design?
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2125
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Sounds pretty lame.

N.Y.C.H liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2126
N.Y.C.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
Sounds pretty lame.
Although, Im sure the design will be a work of art,

I am very dissapointed, if true with the 1253 foot height figure, that it will only be 3 feet taller then the Empire State Building.

I guess it was too good to be true that New York would get the USAs tallest roof height. I guess we can only hope for another development that can get a taller roof height then 1450 feet.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #2127
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Wonder why so short if they have the ability to go higher. Hope cps 220 ruins the view.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2128
JamesDL

Likes (Received): 37

Hi all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you work for Extell or the architect (or the gc)? Can you describe the design?
Yes, kind of. I work for a company providing consulting and insurance services for Extell Development Company. Renderings were shown to a colleague of mine who then presented me the facts.

The tower will have a curvy shape, with some setbacks. Cladding will mimic the green of Central Park. Also, the structure as a whole will be topped off by a magnificent crown which will be illuminated at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Thanks for sharing this information. The news of this height is a bummer however. It will be a tad taller than the tower that will rise to the east of One57. 107-111 E 57th street at 1,200ft.

I guess that articles from Barnett hinting of a reduction and the article from Adrian Smith stating that they are working on a 1,200 ft tower in NYC is really for the Nordstrom Tower. I really hope the design of this tower will really wow me to over compensate the height reduction.
You won't be disappointed.

I just realized that 225 West 57th Street will be 3 feet taller than the Empire State Building. I think that's a big step forward and we should be thankful.
And btw, the building's name has not been chosen yet.

Regards,
James
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2129
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 50

Is that right? NYC currently has 33 Supertalls under construction? That is just amazing.
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2130
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
What a waste of excitment.
Not for me. A 1,200 footer would still be a HUGE addition to the CPS skyline but perhaps not the gamechanger (what residential tower ever is?) some have hoped for. Any high-end residential units left off the table by one developer is an opportunity for the next. If the Midtown East Rezoning gets shot down, THEN I'll be bummed...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2131
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Hi all,

Yes, kind of. I work for a company providing consulting and insurance services for Extell Development Company. Renderings were shown to a colleague of mine who then presented me the facts.

The tower will have a curvy shape, with some setbacks. Cladding will mimic the green of Central Park. Also, the structure as a whole will be topped off by a magnificent crown which will be illuminated at night.

You won't be disappointed.

I just realized that 225 West 57th Street will be 3 feet taller than the Empire State Building. I think that's a big step forward and we should be thankful.
And btw, the building's name has not been chosen yet.

Regards,
James
Thanks. Sounds great.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:31 PM   #2132
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

wouldn't be surprised if "Nordstrom Tower" is a strong candidate. Wouldn't mind an "N" on the crown either, after all in this city it could have a double meaning. As said before, 1253 ft is nothing to joke about. I'm a bit disappointed this one won't surpass 432 Park Avenue, but we must remember Extell already has a 1000 ft tower down the block.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2133
N.Y.C.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Not for me. A 1,200 footer would still be a HUGE addition to the CPS skyline but perhaps not the gamechanger (what residential tower ever is?) some have hoped for. Any high-end residential units left off the table by one developer is an opportunity for the next. If the Midtown East Rezoning gets shot down, THEN I'll be bummed...
I agree that it will be a game changer for central park skyline, but i believe it is not good enough. 432 Park Avenue will be taller, 115 West (Excuse me if wrong number) will be 1200 feet, so this being only 53 feet taller is a serious dissapointment to me.

Any building is a welcome addition, but being as this has been advertized for nearly a year as a 472m tower, to just go back down to the 1250 ft figure we initally had, is not a welcome sight.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2134
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Old Beethoven Piano store about to come down already - also, let's avoid hearsay and wait til EXTELL releases a press release!? Seriously!

217 West 57th Street September 2013 Update

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

McSky liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2135
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Bit of a bummer, but still great for NYC nevertheless.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2136
Vertical_Gotham

Thanks James for the scoop.

So it sounds like this cold end up like the Trump Chicago with no spire but more curvier??

The description seem so futuristic. One of Adrian Smith principles at least in the past was to design a project that fits it's heritage and in this case it should be a building that you can say it's "New York"

My hope this tower will end up sort of like a hybrid between Tower Verre and the John Hancock Center with the shape that James described.

Since this gets a shave, the tower should be a bit more meatier.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #2137
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2138
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

all.i.want... is a tower TALLER THAN WILLIS DAMN IT!! hopefully the design will make up for it.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2139
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

So this will be shorter than 432 Park Avenue.
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2140
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
Which article are you referring to?
These 2 articles in particular that sent me to bed with a bad case of shivers. lol.

NY Times (June 2013)
Looking Down the Empire State
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re...gTFsI13vHl2yxQ

Quote:
“Building tall is not about bragging rights,” he said recently, during a conversation in the nondescript conference room of his offices on Third Avenue; he was wearing slacks and a mock turtleneck. “What drives the building is design, the views, the economics.” He built One57 to its full height “because we couldn’t get in all the air rights any other way — once you have it, the ability to build it, I didn’t want to just throw it away.”

Still, deciding a building’s height is a judgment call, and “there have been times that I had air rights but I didn’t end up using them,” he said. Extreme height adds time and uncertainty to a project, as well as construction costs. One57, for instance, was waylaid when Hurricane Sandy snapped off a crane boom and left it dangling far above the street. Mr. Barnett is weighing these considerations for his Nordstrom property, he said, and said he may choose to forego the full 1,550 feet.
-- Barnett has the air rights and the ability to build it... I guess he just threw away and it will not be looking down at the ESB but eye to eye.

IconEye.com (March 2013)
Towering Ambition
http://www.iconeye.com/news/architec...ering-ambition

Quote:
The title of the world’s highest has moved to the eastern hemisphere, where it appears it will remain for some time. The US could once finance high-rise marvels that were symbols of its economic and political ambition and success; as both demonstrations of power and the solution to the densification of urban centres. But could the gargantuan architectural gestures of the east make an re-appearance in the post 9/11 west?

Smith is unsure, but sees an opportunity in two cities: “London and New York, because they are such international cities, could build towers of this size. There are deep pockets that want to be in those locations if you have the right site,” he says. “In New York, there is a re-emergence of super-tall towers, but they have a very small footplate. There is one we are working on that is 1,200ft (366m).

L.A.F.2., Subsequence liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 4th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall