daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #2321
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
... I have seen various examples of Asian towers designed by these architects that are out of this world, and it pains me to hear that the tower here is going to be a mix between the E Tower at HY and Trump Chicago, towers that I do not find too inspiring to say the least However, I'll wait and see what the outcome will be with bated breath and I hope the talented good Sir, Mr. Adrian Smith, can surprise me with something "out of the box (or in the case, round setbacks)" so to speak.
I don't want anything that resembles Shanghai or Dubai or Moscow to come to New York City. Let North America in general and New York City in particular find its own supertall style.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #2322
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Well, amongst developed nations, Seoul has the Lotte World Tower at 555m. And, as soon as the required bureaucracy is complete, Busan will have a Lotte tower, too, at 510m (granted, with a cheating spire, but nonetheless).
Lotte is Seoul's only 1,000'+ tower, and it will be isolated among low rises. Once again, 1,200 foot towers are very special, and no first-world city remotely competes with NY. For that matter, Shanghai has 3 1,000 foot+ towers.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2323
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

However you try it you can't deny the fact it will no more be the iconic landmark it originally supposed to be. It most likely will have world class design, but it no more will be the tallest in the area, or city, or country - despite of your personal denial it does make a significant difference. The reference point is not the world as you try to force us to believe but the city, hell even couple closest blocks. It seams there will be at least three taller towers in the closest neighborhood so no wonder people are disappointed. It's completely normal and to be expected. So get over it and add some safe margin to your height predictions next time.

That being said no one have said this can't be a great tower. It just will be one of few not one of it's kind.

My only hope regarding this tower at this point is it will be better than Trump Chicago which I have never been a large fan of
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; September 13th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2324
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
1,200' feet is extremely special. Not one tower that high is planned anywhere in the US, Europe, Japan, Canada, Hong Kong, etc., outside of NY.

In fact, of all those vast places, only 2 cities (other than NY) have 1,200'+ towers: HK has 2; Chi has 1, and NY is poised to have 6.
Nothing in the world compares to this, lads!

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2325
patrykus

I was thinking about that render. Good you posted it. It shows well 225 is now one of a small crowd of similar towers not an actual landmark.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Patel Patik, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2326
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

I'm very dissapointed by the medicore height but this building can still be incredible and and an icon if the design is gonna be good. i'm reserving my final judgement until I see a render. I'm glad that it looks like we won't have to wait long for it anymore

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2327
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Only in the media and financial capital of the world can such a boom occur during a recession and weak recovery. This is borne out by the similar success of NY's peer, London. NY and London truly are in a league of their own, with Paris their very close peer.

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2328
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's true. If this is how NYC deals with a recession, I can't wait to see how it will deal with good economic times that are bound to come sooner or later. And with the huge empty spaces on sites like the Hudson Yards we can expect some serious development in the years to come

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2329
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'm very dissapointed by the medicore height
Seriously? 380m can't be mediocre anywhere - even in ny. People are disappointed mostly by the dramatic change and the fact that something that was hyped the new possible tallest in the city is now one of many height-wise similar towers. Not because the towers height is mediocre

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2330
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Out of all the built, U/C and proposed skyscrapers in the world this building would be on the 113th and 114th place together with the Khazakhstan Abu Dhabi Plaza Building. If that isn't medicore than I don't know what is

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2331
patrykus

Yes 113th place out of around 16000 towers above 100m. Truly mediocre

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2332
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Let's say, if in the olympic games your country's sportsman would end up on the 113th place, would the people celebrate it? Would there be huge celebrations in his honor? I don't think so. Just because there are 16 000 buildings above 100m doesn't mean that the 113th place is not medicore

In my opinion a building must be at least as tall as 1WTC to have an impressive height. 1WTC would be on the 73th place in that list, which is still a very poor position

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2333
patrykus

If there are 16000 contestants 113th is great. Period. Proportionally if there were 100 contestants it would be first place.

Aside from the fact you have vague understanding of the world mediocre, assuming 380m is mediocre, then I guess all tallest tower's of NY are mediocre at most

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2334
Kanto
Roof height crusader

432 Park and 1WTC aren't medicore in my opinion

And I can't speak for you, but for me the 113th place is medicore no matter the ammount of contestants. Also, you say that as contestants you count all towers above 100m, which means also buildings in the range of 100-137m. The ancient Egyptians could build a taller building and you still consider these buildings tall?

But enough of this. Obviously we have very different views on what is medicore and what isn't and even more obviously neither one of us will change the other one's view so what if we just cut this chatter until the design for this building is released?

rencharles, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2335
patrykus

Quote:
432 Park and 1WTC aren't medicore in my opinion
Quote:
In my opinion a building must be at least as tall as 1WTC to have an impressive height. 1WTC would be on the 73th place in that list, which is still a very poor position
Well sorry then. I got different impression.

Quote:
The ancient Egyptians could build a taller building and you still consider these buildings tall?
Of course. Everything over 100m is called skyscraper for a reason. But it's tall not extra ordinarily tall. That's reserved for supertalls.

Quote:
But enough of this. Obviously we have very different views on what is medicore and what isn't and even more obviously neither one of us will change the other one's view so what if we just cut this chatter until the design for this building is released?
Actually the word is well defined:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mediocre

One of it's synonyms is average and the word itself originates from "middle height" to be more interesting.

So objectively speaking a building absolutely mediocre anywhere in the world is not much over 100m tall. In New York - it's around 200m, in China 240m - and that one even only counting 200m+ towers. In any case far from 380m.

Old September 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2336
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

Come on now...a building that would have been the world's tallest only 42 years ago, mediocre?
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2337
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

I would say 1,200 ft is amazing for NYC. The news of Nordstrom being over 1500 was down right ecstasy. The thought of having a tower that tall was a signal at least in my eyes that NYC was ready to be BOLD again. I guess NYC is not quite ready for that kind of height. But NYC is certainly undergoing a skyscraper renaissance.

Just to put things in perspective prior our current boom, NYC had a total of 4 supertalls not including the WTC Twins.

Today we are slated to add an estimated 12 supertalls and maybe more should the Midtown East zoning gets approved. That is staggering and for that I am really excited and grateful.

With our current boom, NYC will have estimated 9 supertalls over 1,200 ft and 5 over 1,300 ft! Prior to 9/11 we had a total of 3 over 1,200ft.

Even in the 900 – 1,000 ft range, In the pipeline we are slated to add 6 additional skyscrapers. Prior to 9/11, we just had 3 in that range. Insane.. right??

Exciting times people.. Exciting times!

rencharles, Highcliff liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2338
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 576

Well, the standards for what "tall" is nowadays have changed a lot very quickly
but I wouldn't call this mediocre.
I would say this has a good solid height, but is not really anything exceptional.
However, developments like this- quality mid-height range supertalls
help even the skyline, so that eventually, a 2000+ft. tower would not look so out of place as it would now.
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2339
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
but I wouldn't call this mediocre.
I would say this has a good solid height, but is not really anything exceptional.
Yes, this is also as I would describe this one.

Old September 13th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2340
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well sorry then. I got different impression.

Of course. Everything over 100m is called skyscraper for a reason. But it's tall not extra ordinarily tall. That's reserved for supertalls.

Actually the word is well defined:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mediocre

One of it's synonyms is average and the word itself originates from "middle height" to be more interesting.

So objectively speaking a building absolutely mediocre anywhere in the world is not much over 100m tall. In New York - it's around 200m, in China 240m - and that one even only counting 200m+ towers. In any case far from 380m.
Trust me, I know what that word means. If you yourself would follow it to the letter medicore height would be about 30 meters or 100 feet cause that is probably the average of all buildings on the planet. Would you really call a 40 meter building an exceptionaly tall building? I doubt so

Also, the word medicore can be based on other factors than cumulative height of all buildings put together. For example, if we would go by height achieved by buildings the most medicore building would be 420 meters tall because the shortest building is an underground instalations with a height of 0 meters while I estimate the Kingdom Tower to be 840 meters to the roof. The average between 840 and 0 is 420. And going by achieved height would be just as relevant as going by cumulative height

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall