daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2341
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

It's all about context. Mediocre in China, great for NYC, incredible for a global city. I just wish it could be incredible for NY, which 1550 definitely was.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #2342
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Trust me, I know what that word means. If you yourself would follow it to the letter medicore height would be about 30 meters or 100 feet cause that is probably the average of all buildings on the planet. Would you really call a 40 meter building an exceptionaly tall building? I doubt so
Only we talk about skyscrapers here. And those are recognized as at least 100m (at least here at ssc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Also, the word medicore can be based on other factors than cumulative height of all buildings put together. For example, if we would go by height achieved by buildings the most medicore building would be 420 meters tall because the shortest building is an underground instalations with a height of 0 meters while I estimate the Kingdom Tower to be 840 meters to the roof. The average between 840 and 0 is 420. And going by achieved height would be just as relevant as going by cumulative height
Lol, yeah, because it doesn't matter at all that there's just 100 towers above particular height and many thousands below it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
It's all about context. Mediocre in China, great for NYC, incredible for a global city. I just wish it could be incredible for NY, which 1550 definitely was.
Yeah, 1550ft was truly incredible for ny. 1253ft is "just" good. As someone said before, ny is still waiting for something really bold.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Highcliff liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2343
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It is purely your choice to include highrises, skyscrapers, supertalls and megatalls, but not lowrises, nothing more. So it is purely my choice to include only supertalls and megatalls. All is just opinion. Your opinion is as good as mine or anybody's. You make the mistake of thinking that what matters to you matters to everybody and what doesn't matter to you, doesn't matter to anybody

Patel Patik, Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #2344
patrykus

We are on the skyscraper forum buddy When we say mediocre hieght it's amongs towers not all buildings. But even if you would spacifically said it's mediocre amongst supertalls there would be still be much more buildings lower than 380, than those taller than that. And in ny specifically there would just few taller.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2345
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Guys! Everyone has a different opinion on this so stop the ridiculous discussion and get back OT.

MarshallKnight, iamtheSTIG, Highcliff liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2346
patrykus

Ok so to end this I step aside and agree with kanto. This and majority of ny towers are truly mediocre in height.

Old September 13th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #2347
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

NY is truly the greatest, along with its cousin, London.

Although it's the financial capital of the world, I wonder still why it has this massive boom when other great power centers like SF and HK don't. SF doesn't have any supertalls, and the one planned "cheats" in the words of some of our forum colleagues.

Patel Patik, rencharles, Highcliff liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2348
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I didn't forget about it. It's as realistic as the Chicago Spire was (I.e., not happening). I'm sure a few 50 story boxes will rise on that site in a few years. Chicago does not remotely have the pricing power or international demand that NY does to justify such a project. Anyway, the renderings of that project look like crap.
Chicago has Toronto-style pricing which precludes developers building single unit floor supertalls. But T.O. has several supertalls on the boards nevertheless. The Spire site will be interesting to watch but I agree that Related will likely build something more modest. The Old Post Office features two 1,000 ft. resys as well as that ethereal 2,000 ft. office tower. The city is keen on getting the post office redeveloped and on the tax rolls so there's political impetus to see something significant there.

As for the Nordstrom tower, I can't believe anyone would not be impressed by a 1,253 ft. tower anywhere. It's taller than the ESB which was only the world's tallest for nearly 40 years. NYC can certainly have 1,500 ft. towers but I don't think such a tower will ever be residential. There's a law of diminishing returns on units above 1,000 ft. Buyers get skittish about living that high while costs are greater. The sweet spot is between 700 ft. and 900 ft. for sales. Penthouses in some of the tallest residential towers have taken years to move, including Trump World Tower. The demand for the highest floors is perennially soft.

streetscapeer, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; September 13th, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2349
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I doubt that the 2 1,00 footers will be built. Anyway, their designs could not be lamer.

P.S.: Toronto is a lot more expensive than Chi., and has more foreign money (at least from Asia).

Manitopiaaa, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #2350
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
I doubt that the 2 1,00 footers will be built. Anyway, their designs could not be lamer.

P.S.: Toronto is a lot more expensive than Chi., and has more foreign money (at least from Asia).
Toronto moved ahead on pricing recently owing to their real estate bubble (most buyers now are investors, not prospective tenants) but the two have been price-aligned for quite some time. I'd expect T.O. to soften while Chicago is stabilizing. Neither are in NYC's league.

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #2351
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

No C. vs C. please.

spectre000, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #2352
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
You are just going to ignore proposed towers?
Until they are up, then yes, I will. I'm going by what's there and u/c and while small compared to a few 1250 feet is still big for China.

Quote:
No C. vs C. please.
That's not the intention, I'm just trying to show that 1250 feet is not a bad height for a building anywhere, let alone right next to central park.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #2353
RobertWalpole
BANNED

This tower is yet another sign of NY's greatness. Only London, Paris, and Tokyo are in its league.

Old September 14th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #2354
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
This tower is yet another sign of NY's greatness. Only London, Paris, and Tokyo are in its league.
I'm going to assume you don't mean skyscraper wise considering even a place like Philadelphia (which does have a good skyline) would give London a serious run for it's money in that category.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #2355
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm going to assume you don't mean skyscraper wise considering even a place like Philadelphia (which does have a good skyline) would give London a serious run for it's money in that category.
Of course not.

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2356
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Next personal insult will result in the brig. Knock it off!

spectre000, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2357
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmac View Post
Compared to what's happening in other parts of the world, e.g., china, dubai, moscow (yes,moscow), s korea, NY is no longer the leader in arch design and vibrancy. Comparing NY to shanghai is similar to comparing Wash DC with NY. 1200 feet is today an average sized skyscraper in a non descript city in China. And those average-sized buildings take aesthetic design to the next level- unlike what you see in NY and other American cities. One world trade is be perfect example...boring, safe and designed by committee with the utmost conservative approach.

Aside from a few examples, buildings in NY don't say "look at me" like the iconic ESB did all those many decades ago did. They do their best to blend into a vertical landscape that takes its design direction from 1950 and 1960 era buildings...No longer world leading, by anyone's definition.
True. 1200 ft is still huge here, but with quite a few 1300-1400 footers in development in the city,
it's not the exceptional tower that 1550 foot would be, unless the design is very spectacular.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2358
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Well, hopefully it will be. While the news that it should be curvy weren't exactly what I wanted to hear, even a curvy building can end up looking very good, like for example 157 or Seoul Lotte or, if we expand the term curvy into microcurves, also Beekman

inno4321, Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #2359
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I do apologize & I am really sorry for that. Then whoever did say that was in poor taste. My apologies. # feel bad

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #2360
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

2 weeks more, and there will be no renders and no new news yet, and the illusion will be gone. Fingers crossed !!!
Guys, I'd rather you didn't take the "new" guy at his words. Who knows he might only be gathering what would happen if it were the case, a new fairy-godmother, kind of, troll.
At least, if the rumour was true, there should be some news. It's currently only the "James guy" honking the could-be nonsense.
Every part of me still says, "You can still expect what was supposed to be"

Edit : Oh shit! I didn't realize what was going on in the last few posts. This post is not connected in any way to a couple of posts above. Just saying!

Last edited by NYCrulz; September 14th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall