daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2381
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Is that wondering inside info?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2382
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I just noticed there are two stars next two the height of 225 at ctbuh. Two stars means minimum height so I guess in this case ctbuh doesn't know much more than we do - if the height was definitive and confirmed I'm sure they wouldn't mark it this way.
CTBUH had officially listed 225 at 1550 but now has been down graded and asterisk added next to the height. They definitely acted on info directly from the source, but the asterisk is intriguing meaning they were told of o possible increase.

The only other project for NY listed on CTBUH with an asterisk is 107W57 listed at 1200 but we all know what it will be now.

So I hope at least Extell decides to make the crown a little higher to make this an even 1300 ft at least and call it a day.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2383
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
CTBUH had officially listed 225 at 1550 but now has been down graded and asterisk added next to the height. They definitely acted on info directly from the source, but the asterisk is intriguing meaning they were told of o possible increase.
James told us there's no way for increasing in height. So if both James and ctbuh have proper source something is clearly wrong in the picture, don't you think?

So I stand to my interpretation. I say they took the height from this thread but because it's not confirmed yet they dubbed it "minimal height" in case it wouldn't be true.

But hey I couldn't be more happy to be proven wrong on this one as I have absolutely nothing against height increase. That being said even though the height is very likely decreased I hope no renders will be released because that will be final confirmation for that fat.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2384
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Quote:
James told us there's no way for increasing in height. So if both James and ctbuh have proper source something is clearly wrong in the picture, don't you think?

So I stand to my interpretation. I say they took the height from this thread but because it's not confirmed yet they dubbed it "minimal height" in case it wouldn't be true.

But hey I couldn't be more happy to be proven wrong on this one as I have absolutely nothing against height increase. That being said even though the height is very likely decreased I hope no renders will be released because that will be final confirmation for that fat.
Actually James explicitly stated the 1253ft includes the crown, and the design is final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Hi all,

new renderings for 212/225 West 57th Street will be released by the end of September.
The tower was in redesign in the last couple of months by Adrian Smith & Gordon Hill.
The height will be listed as 1217'4'' (blueprints), and officially as 1253 feet (including the crown).

All I can say is, it will be a very fine tower and a gift to the evolving Manhattan skyline.

Regards,
James
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2385
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Is that wondering inside info?
No. It's pure speculation.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2386
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

I have two thoughts on this tower.

1. Why would the Nordstrom give up the opportunity to be attached to the tallest building in the city?
Everyone remembers the Sears tower, but can the average Joe name the forth tallest tower in Chicago?

2. Could the possible height reduction be a result of Nordstrom having a planed opening by set date..and an additional 300 feet would mean the tower would still be UC?
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2387
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Lack of Money?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2388
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post

1. Why would the Nordstrom give up the opportunity to be attached to the tallest building in the city?
Everyone remembers the Sears tower, but can the average Joe name the forth tallest tower in Chicago?

2. Could the possible height reduction be a result of Nordstrom having a planed opening by set date..and an additional 300 feet would mean the tower would still be UC?
the second one makes sense, Nordstrom is the anchor after all, not the developer.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #2389
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The height reduction most likely occurred in connection with the alignment for 220 CPS.
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #2390
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:

There was never an actual Sears store in the Sears Tower so unless the tower is given the Nordstrom name I don't think those kind of aspirations are at play. Nordstrom has never been ostentatious with any of its stores and they don't have a ' trophy tower complex' like Sears did (forumers in Seattle would love it if they did).

Quote:
Maybe. There's costs associated with failing to open on time. But Nordstrom alone wouldn't affect the height of the tower. I think Walpole is closer to it: redistributing the mass may have affected how high they could go. (I still believe it was for economic reasons)
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2391
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

I was dissapointed about the height, but i thought about it. This one shorter then expected, 220 CPS taller then expected.. at least maybe lol
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #2392
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
... I think Walpole is closer to it: redistributing the mass may have affected how high they could go. (I still believe it was for economic reasons)
That's what I think happened here. I believe that Extell's tower Will rise as far west as possible, and Vornado's Will rise as far east as possible. Also, the 1, 500 feet might only have been necessary if Vorn ado built right in front of Extell, which clearly is not happening. While Nordstrom may have gotten shorter, I expect that 220 CPS will get a lot taller than was initially envision ed.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #2393
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

The height is ok, but nothing special. I think NYC should have a 500m plus tower soon.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #2394
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Two weeks to October...
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #2395
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:

simple - money. each additional floor is more expensive than the previous one. the most economically perfect building is 300 meters. Everything above it is pure desire of the developer to show off. Some exceptions are attributed to residential towers that can have higher number of floors and still be economically feasible, but office ones... so far once you cross 300 meters it becomes so expensive that it is hardly making profit.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #2396
patrykus

I also believe that's simplest and most reasonable explanation for it. I noticed many people here believe the developer in ny should go as tall as air rights and permits allow him to go but they seems to ignore the fact every next taller floor doesn't cost the same but more so the increase in cost of the tower is geometrical! One can argue that construction of taller apartments will be financed by higher asking prices, but those surely can't rise forever. Would an 500m tall apartment sell easily for say $500m? What about floors between 400m and 500m. All of them very likely would need to be sell for at least $100m. I wonder if there is enough incredibly reach sheiks in the world to make it feasible

Old September 16th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2397
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Given the high prices for which these apartments are sold, I'm sure there is still a huge margin if they build taller, regardless the increasing construction costs per floor.
I doubt if we'll ever see a penthouse of 500M, but who knows...
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2398
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Given the high prices for which these apartments are sold, I'm sure there is still a huge margin if they build taller, regardless the increasing construction costs per floor.
I doubt if we'll ever see a penthouse of 500M, but who knows...
And yet no tower (build or proposed) is getting anything close to 500m mark. On the other hand we have several around 400m - it really looks like a current limit for ny skyscrapers. Take One57 - it's top penthouse at 380m goes for around $100M. Now imagine what would need to be the price for an apartment 100 meters above that

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2399
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 323

I updated the CTBUH building page for 225 W 57th to show it as an exact height now. The minimum height button was left on by mistake. Of course nothing is official yet until we see some drawings. Sorry for the confusion.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2400
patrykus

So no potential height increase as I thought. Can you tell as if the source for the height change was ssc, ssp or ctbuh inside source?

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall