daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2401
JamesDL

Likes (Received): 37

Good news all!

Apparently the project has been sent back to the drawing boards! Meaning, the project is in redesign, once again.
The design has been dismissed by both involved parties, Extell and Nordstrom, as it didn't meet the required standards.

As for the new height, that remains to be seen.

I think Dan, my source, is getting delayed and / or outdated info. It seems very unlikely that the redesign has just happened now but more like at least a couple of weeks prior to his knowing.

I'll talk to him again this week, so I can determine what's approximately the current state of 225 West 57th Street. Slowly but surely, this tower is giving me a headache ...

Have a nice day all,

Regards,
James.

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2402
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 68

If this kind of hearsay really is regarded as a reliable source for the CTBUH, that is quite shocking. I am not saying that you do not tell us the truth, James, but CTBUH should apply some scientific or at least journalistic standards, before they use such information. Many people will now regard it as a fact, because it was published by CTBUH. Wikipedia will use CTBUH as a source and many other people will then use Wikipedia as a source. That's how possibly wrong information spreads around the internet.

The thread title should reflect the uncertainty we have right now. We only can be quite sure that it will be at least 300 metres tall and have at least 70 floors.
Twopsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2403
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Good news all!

Apparently the project has been sent back to the drawing boards! Meaning, the project is in redesign, once again.
The design has been dismissed by both involved parties, Extell and Nordstrom, as it didn't meet the required standards.

As for the new height, that remains to be seen.

I think Dan, my source, is getting delayed and / or outdated info. It seems very unlikely that the redesign has just happened now but more like at least a couple of weeks prior to his knowing.

I'll talk to him again this week, so I can determine what's approximately the current state of 225 West 57th Street. Slowly but surely, this tower is giving me a headache ...

Have a nice day all,

Regards,
James.
Thanks for the update! I guess I should have left the minimum height notation on.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2404
JamesDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopsy View Post
If this kind of hearsay really is regarded as a reliable source for the CTBUH, that is quite shocking. I am not saying that you do not tell us the truth, James, but CTBUH should apply some scientific or at least journalistic standards, before they use such information. Many people will now regard it as a fact, because it was published by CTBUH. Wikipedia will use CTBUH as a source and many other people will then use Wikipedia as a source. That's how possibly wrong information spreads around the internet.

The thread title should reflect the uncertainty we have right now. We only can be quite sure that it will be at least 300 metres tall and have at least 70 floors.
Yes, I agree. At this point we only know that it will over 1000 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
Thanks for the update! I guess I should have left the minimum height notation on.
You're welcome. I'm sorry if my info led to some speculation about the final height. At least we know, that at some point the height figure was or still is 1253 feet.

Obviously this tower is in the hot phase of being finalized, meaning only G. Barnett, A. Smith and other people immediately involved with the project have first-hand info.

Regards,
James
JamesDL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2405
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Yes, I agree. At this point we only know that it will over 1000 feet.

You're welcome. I'm sorry if my info led to some speculation about the final height. At least we know, that at some point the height figure was or still is 1253 feet.

Obviously this tower is in the hot phase of being finalized, meaning only G. Barnett, A. Smith and other people immediately involved with the project have first-hand info.

Regards,
James
So perhaps you should stop posting your inaccurate second-hand speculation?

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2406
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I appreciate your info, James.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2407
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22507

as do I. Seeing how as construction hasn't commenced, it's not a surprise that they're still working out the design.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #2408
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

I changed the title to reflect this present uncertainty. Hopefully we'll soon learn how far Extell wishes to take this sucker. If it's 1,253 ft. so be it. If it's 1,500 ft. so be it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2409
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 24979

I also appreciate your info James. Thanks!

If there is now a redesign, can we still expect renderings sometime this month?

streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2410
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I changed the title to reflect this present uncertainty. Hopefully we'll soon learn how far Extell wishes to take this sucker. If it's 1,253 ft. so be it. If it's 1,500 ft. so be it.
I agree. Whether it's 1,250 or 1,550 is irrelevant to me, as long as it's nice.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2411
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

This thread is roller-coaster ride lately

One time it's final and right after that it's in redesign. Not sure who to believe now, but time will tell I guess.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2412
JamesDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
So perhaps you should stop posting your inaccurate second-hand speculation?
First of all, it's not speculation. Maybe outdated info yes, but certainly not just some 'hearsay'.
Second, it was impossible from me to determine how up to date the info was. I just recently discovered this project (didn't even know about 1,550' figure) and so I posted straight ahead what I knew. I'm sorry if some folks are offended now and hopefully we'll know soon enough what the final height and design will be.

Gotta go back to work,

Regards,
James.

streetscapeer, sgollis liked this post
JamesDL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2413
giorgio righi riva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

shit news, the previous insider news described the project wonderfull setback and spiralling top tower .... now with a redesign should be a new cheap version......shit...
giorgio righi riva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #2414
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Wait! What's going on here? In about a week I'm thinking of seeking professional help. lol.

Yea thanks for your info James! Very much appreciated and looking for more when you get some.

It seems maybe AS+GG design may be a little too avant-garde for both Extell and Nordstrom. I mean Nordstrom does have a more conservative image so I suspect Nordstrom would want that reflected in a tower they will call home as the anchor. I'm not saying they would want to be flat out conservative but conservative bordering edgy since it is they who selected Adrian Smith to be the architect.

So back to the drawing boards again but hopefully the third time is a charm.

I am sure the final product will be very nice and we will all be happy about it since AS+GG has 2 masters to make happy.

My hope for this project is that this will be a amazing tower and you can say w/o a doubt that this is New York. Adrian Smith great gift to New York.

At least James did give me a glimmer of hope that there is a possibility of this being higher. That would be a great gift from Gary Barnett.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2415
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey James, thanks for posting, this is awesome news. I'm very glad that the 382m figure isn't the final height. For me, there is nothing to loose in this uncertainity for to me it doesn't matter whether it's 300m or 382m - both are unsatisfying in my opinion. To me it starts to matter only when it reaches 417m or higher as I said before.

But, architecture is just as important as height and engineering is even more important. I'm pretty sure this building will have top class engineering and I hope the design will be good too. I hope for a simple, yet elegant design, not something too eccentric. They shall take all the time they need if it is to produce a truly iconic and beautiful design

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2416
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i am mildly confused by this project.. and by mildly i mean a lot.. and by confused i mean i don't have a clue what is going on anymore

on SSP i changed it to estimate 382m and awaiting a final design

Kanto, j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1, NYCrulz liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #2417
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i am mildly confused by this project.. and by mildly i mean a lot.. and by confused i mean i don't have a clue what is going on anymore

That makes two (or probably several dozen) of us.

I'm really confused, I saw the title and thought the building had been shortened yet again, good to hear that isn't the case but I'm starting to be skeptical of this James guy. Maybe he's completely right, but if the info was dated why did he tell us in the first place? I find it a little hard to believe that such info leaked.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2418
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i thought this was a different project altogether. many new york buildings have names of their streets, which makes sense i get it, but if you do not know the city the names all look the same, so i started to remember what the buildings look like by their height and that just failed me the first time

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2419
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

The height should have never been changed to 1253 feet from a rumor, should have stayed as what we had from official sources. Most likely 1253 feet was the old design before the boost up to 1550 feet, before we all thought this would be around 1250 feet.

Kanto liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2420
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Well what I think is that even if James is honest with us (and I'm not saying he isn't) ctbuh or ssc shouldn't just take his word to change height in official databases and from last few posts by Vito that clearly had happen. As long as James is honest with us I'm glad he is with us and I'm looking forward to his updates, but ctbuh should rely only on hard data like official news, news from insiders or at least forum members with proven reputation. How it is now we thought the height at ctbuh was confirmation for the news from the forum while in fact it actually got taken from here.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall