daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2461
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Yea I like that too! Silvery cladding would stand out nicely.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2462
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopsy View Post
How are elavator shafts counted when it come to the maximum square footage you can build with the acquired air rights? Are they counted only once or at every floor where the elevator can stop? That would make a huge difference when choosing between a low fat and a tall slim building, as tall slim buildings need more space for elevators. And of course also more space for stairs.
Mechanical space (including elevator shafts and equipment) do not count toward FAR calculations.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2463
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

what about something red you dont see to many red buildings something like Scotia Plaza red

Or Bank of America Plaza red
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2464
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
what about something red you dont see to many red buildings something like Scotia Plaza red

Everyone has their opinion, but for me if we were going that way I think pale orange would be better, like the Europa Tower. I find those reds dull brownish looking, and bright red near Central Park would be an awful mistake. However, I'd love to see the public's reaction to a cherry-red ESB-height tower towering over CP
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #2465
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
BOA Plaza would look incredible there for me. It's got a great series of setbacks, and is huge in person. It's quite an imposing building at 1,040 feet, not to mention if built at 1,550 feet, per se. Imagine this at nighttime towering over North Midtown:

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #2466
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

That building has quite an Art deco feeling to itself

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #2467
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Yeah, it's supposed to be a postmodern building influenced by Art Deco. Usually such buildings are utter failures, but that one turned out very nice.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #2468
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

The goal of developers like Extell is not to build the tallest possible buildings that are profitable, but to build buildings that return maximum profits. The process of constructing skyscrapers also involves an added element of risk, which makes developers without government backing (unlike those say in China or Dubai) more cautious. So Extell will work their computer models and decide what sort of tower to construct, balancing risk and anticipated reward.

Regarding the construction of a 1550' versus 1217' tower to the highest occupied floor (same square footage for each), I think that some of the materials would be required in similar quantities, but the 333' higher core would probably involve substantial extra expense as far as steel and concrete is concerned. The goal from the outset is to maximize revenue-producing space, which means keeping the core as small as possible. That said, a core for a thicker building for a 1217' tower might be slightly larger, and might even require a few extra elevators, if there are more apartments on individual floors. But that difference probably couldn't make up for 333' of extra core to service a 1550' structure.

It will be interesting to see what choice Extell makes. Hopefully Gary Barnett will share some of his thought process when the official renders are released.

Here is a list of the tallest residential buildings in the world. Plenty of them are going to be over 1200', (nine, if we include 107 W 57th and 225 W 57th) making the argument that buildings of that height and higher can be highly profitable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_the_world

Kanto liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2469
Vertical_Gotham

Four of America's Tallest Buildings Are Being Built on the Same Street
http://gizmodo.com/four-of-americas-...-on-1327172554

Quote:
While most of the supertall building boom spotlight has been placed China and the UAE over the past few months, there's an even more staggering development happening much, much closer to home. At least four 1,000-foot-plus skyscrapers are set to rise along (or adjacent to) West 57th Street over the next few years, each of the tall enough to change America's skyline forever.

There’s a residential boom happening in Midtown Manhattan right now, mainly thanks to wealthy investors who believe that condos in Midtown Manhattan are about as stable an investment as one can make right now. The Wall Street Journal declares it “a new era for skyscrapers,” while The Observer’s Matt Chaban wonders “just how many skinny luxury towers can we jam onto 57th Street?”

But what’s most remarkable about this boom? Its geography. At least six major building projects are being proposed along one street—West 57th—over the next few years. Four of those will compete for the title of the city's tallest building, based on habitable height (rather than spire height, for which One World Trade takes the cake), and one will be the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere. Along this short strip of city, a construction race is being kindled by investors eager to nab a slice of the most valuable real estate in America—and it's driving some fairly insane pieces of architecture, too.
Quote:
The most modest of these projects is One57, a 1,004-foot-tall condo building that’s currently nearing completion (seen below). This was the project that, arguably, led to the clustering of new projects along the same street. Why? Because it made news for the speed at which its luxury condos sold—at a time when property values were wavering, no less—and set a record for the highest price paid for a residence in New York city: $90 million.
Quote:
Then there’s 432 Park, a 1,398-foot-tall condo building designed by infamous “death-ray architect” Rafael Vinoly. Located a block south of West 57th on the former site of the 80-year-old Drake Hotel, which was demolished to make room for the tower, it's currently climbing quickly with a projected completion date of mid-2014. Each of the building’s windows measures 100 square feet of glass, and amenities will include such necessities as a "golf training facility." It’ll soon eclipse One57 as the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere:
Quote:
In late August, Nordstrom shelled out more than $100 million to anchor the forthcoming 1,550-foot-tall condo tower at 225 West 57th Street, which will be designed by the architects of the now-legendary Burj Khalifa, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture (who were part of SOM at the time). The plan is still pending approval from the city, so we only have a vague idea of what it will look like. But if it's given the green light, it will eclipse Chicago's Willis Tower as the tallest residential building in the US.
Quote:
The most recent entrant in New York's supertall sweepstakes comes from SHoP Architects and JDS Development Group, which announced a plan to build a 1,350-foot skyscraper at 107 West 57th earlier this month. Though it’ll only be the second tallest building in the city (and the fourth in the country), it distinguishes itself in another way. It's only 40 feet wide:
Quote:
While for a townhouse that might not be all that remarkable, it’s unheard of for a supertall skyscraper. The reason most supertalls have wider bases is to support the lateral force of wind and seismic movement on its upper floors. Though SHoP was unable to comment on the structural design of the tower when we contacted them, it’s bound to be pretty unique. And because each floor is only 40 feet across, each unit will take up an entire level of the building. In other words, it’ll be an entire skyscraper of luxury penthouses. Even for other residential towers built in the city over the past decade, that’s an unusual risk. But given the demand for condos priced well into the tens of millions, it’s not surprising.

Will there be a bust to follow this boom? It seems likely. The Skyscraper Index, a controversial theory that posits a correlation between skyscraper construction and economic busts, tells us that intense competition to build ever-taller buildings is usually caused by an unsustainable bubble. According to the Index, as interest rates drop companies expand—and they build larger offices because it's suddenly less expensive to do so.

But what's unique about the boom on West 57th street is that these buildings are largely residential—these aren't office spaces, which is what the Index traditionally focuses on. It's being driven by billionaires who want to invest in residential property. So only time will tell whether this astronomical bubble will burst like so many before it, or whether Manhattan will continue along its journey to becoming the rarified domain of the super-rich.

-- I wonder where these publications get their images. lol

rencharles liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2470
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I wonder who made those. Great renders.

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

SMCYB liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2471
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's beautiful
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2472
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post

I wonder who made those. Great renders.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2473
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Four of America's Tallest Buildings Are Being Built on the Same Street
Funny to see my renderings periodically show up in these news articles.

This one was made last fall, prior to the 107 W 57th Street announcement. I should redo (when I have time).
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #2474
Kanto
Roof height crusader

You're a true master at this
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2475
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

Do they pay you? They should. You and the original photographer (which might be you?).

Eric Offereins liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2476
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Just send an invoice.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2477
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Now that's a city!

Kanto, t94 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2478
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Funny to see my renderings periodically show up in these news articles.

This one was made last fall, prior to the 107 W 57th Street announcement. I should redo (when I have time).
Since that one is a bit old. What was the height of 225 on that render?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2479
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

I'm sorry but 107 West 57th does not look good to me in this render. Way too tall. I really hope new renders come out that shows it in a better light, cause I'm beginning to think the old height was better.

and 225 West 57th, if I'm not mistaken won't be as tall in real life as it is in this render.
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2480
Vertical_Gotham

Waiting for news already! I'm hungry for Any kind of news!

only 8 more working days till October as D day nears.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall