daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2541
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It's not that they wouldn't want to have the tallest, they want to have the tallest, but even more they want to maximize profit and NYC construction is driven by profit. But as long as the building is at least 1 368 I don't really mind whether it's 3 000 or 1 450
Actually, most NEw Yorkers oppose very tall towers. If this required city approval, there is no way that it would be permitted to rise 1, 450 feet.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2542
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Not sure if I agree with that, as a New Yorker, I and most people I know think skyscrapers are synonymous with NYC and we take pride in it; just look how proud NYers are with the "1776 feet" 1WTC. I think a tall skyscraper is welcome in NYC anytime, just depends where you wanna build it; just try putting one on the UES or the West Village and you might end up being chased out of town, but in most of downtown and midtown, I doubt anybody cares as these areas are defined by skyscrapers and are much less residential.

Last edited by Ghostface79; September 26th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2543
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Actually, most NEw Yorkers oppose very tall towers. If this required city approval, there is no way that it would be permitted to rise 1, 450 feet.

I really doubt most New Yorkers care unless they live right next to said tower

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2544
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I live in NY. People in NYC oppose very tall buildings.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2545
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

It's end of september now, i want to see renderings now!

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2546
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4507

i don't understand New Yorkers, they live in one of the densest cities in the world with hundreds of skyscrapers, people flock to new york to see the skyscrapers

yet they don't like them?

bozenBDJ, Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #2547
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Maybe that is the so-called 'Empire State of Mind' ?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #2548
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
To change the title : 1450 feet / 442 m !!!!
I think it will be changed when we official confirmation of its height. For now it seems we have a new number every month or so.

patrykus, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2549
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
I doubt the average New Yorker knows more about these projects in NY than most members here in the international forum.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2550
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I think it will be changed when we official confirmation of its height. For now it seems we have a new number every month or so.
This.

I think we've had enough whiplash over the height. We may get confirmation soon enough anyway...

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2551
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I really doubt most New Yorkers care unless they live right next to said tower
Actually this is not true, as Robert said there are quite a few outspoken people here that oppose these supertall buildings in New York,
particularly people who live in Manhattan. YOu have to understand the total impact of such structures on the infrastructure and quality of life, especially on the street level. I am not saying I agree with them but the impacts are real and some people object to them.

Here are a just few of the arguments:
First would be the destruction of fine existing buildings.
Second the hazards and inconvience of the demoition and construction phases ie, dangers from cranes, sidewalk and street closures and congestion etc etc
Third would be the interruption light and air exposure and circulation in the city. ie there are some people who still advocate that the building of the PanAm building greatly inhibited the flow of air between upper Park and lower Park Ave. The effect of shadows from the Time Warner building were debated for a year or more and significantly influenced the design of the building...anyone who has waked our streets during a NorEaster understands the effect these buildings have on wind patterns.
Fourth would be just the increased congestion due to the increased density of population in midtown...gridlock is a real problem...cabs are sometimes impossible to find and subway congestion at rush can be unbearable.

Personally I accept most of this as the price of admission and to tell you the truth very rarely to I gawk the magnificent buildings I am surrounded by. Certainly not like the teeming tourists who crowd Fifth Avenue.
But when I do it is hard not to be thrilled by them and intrigued by the complex evolution of this metropolis

I can assure you there are a great many people in New York who take these issues very seriously.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2552
Ghostface79

Quote:
That might be your opinion but I strongly disagree. It would be great to have a survey on this topic though. I agree with Jay, NYers don't care how high you build unless it's close to where they leave that's why tall towers would me most welcome in most areas of Midtown and Downtown that aren't quite residential.

Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2553
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Imo those who cares - the nimbys, are mostly those who are a side in a case. An owner of neighboring building for instance. There are also few activists and ecoterrorists. But surely most people don't really care much about that.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2554
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
particularly people who live in Manhattan. YOu have to understand the total impact of such structures on the infrastructure and quality of life, especially on the street level. I am not saying I agree with them but the impacts are real and some people object to them.

Here are a just few of the arguments:
First would be the destruction of fine existing buildings.
Second the hazards and inconvience of the demoition and construction phases ie, dangers from cranes, sidewalk and street closures and congestion etc etc
Third would be the interruption light and air exposure and circulation in the city. ie there are some people who still advocate that the building of the PanAm building greatly inhibited the flow of air between upper Park and lower Park Ave. The effect of shadows from the Time Warner building were debated for a year or more and significantly influenced the design of the building...anyone who has waked our streets during a NorEaster understands the effect these buildings have on wind patterns.
Fourth would be just the increased congestion due to the increased density of population in midtown...gridlock is a real problem...cabs are sometimes impossible to find and subway congestion at rush can be unbearable.
I would not say people in Manhattan or in New Yorkers in general. Those that really care are the manhattanites that would be directly impacted with such developments. Meaning those who live and work in close proximity to such developments. I for one would not care because I don't live near such a construction project, but if it was in my backyard I would have some serious reservations. Such projects impact the quality of life for those residents and businesses around it.

As far as the arguments you made for Midtown... It is certainly true but I just have to say.... Midtown East Zoning needs to pass as it is the largest business district in Manhattan. Midtown needs to evolve. Opposition here is mainly concerned about improvement of infrastructure and there is a plan that can finance the improvement of infrastructure for better quality of life for commuters and the work force in this area should the zoning is approved

My concern ultimately, the concession the city will be making for allowing more residential to be built in this great district, will ultimately be handcuffing future development there in 20 years time because the residents there will be very protective of the quality of life where they live.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 26th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2555
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Then those people should re-evaluate their choice of domicile...
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2556
jconyc

VerticalGotham,

I agree that NYC really needs to move forward and as I said I am excited about the new development of midtown...one point though about who is impacted...don't forget the hundreds of thousands of people who also work in and/or commute through these areas are also impacted...not just the local residents.

Infrastructure in NYC has long been neglected...I agree it is good to see NYC infrastructure making big improvements...it is long been overdue
hopefully the increasing tax base of the new developments will keep this cycle going.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2557
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2558
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
"subway congestion..."

These billionaires won't be using public transportation. A personal limo, yes, but subways and buses? Of course not..
Hey! I'm offended. Mike Bloomberg and Myself take the subway and buses.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2559
jconyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
"subway congestion..."

These billionaires won't be using public transportation. A personal limo, yes, but subways and buses? Of course not..
you forget about the hundreds of people who will work in each of these buildings...this adds up to tens of thousands new subway and bus riders

Most people do not realize what it takes to service such buildings not only do you have huge staff requirements to support these "billionaires" but the the buildings themselves are revolving doors for tons of service trucks and personnel...furniture movers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, caterers, food and liquor deliveries, dry cleaners, art movers, etc etc etc.

I am in a luxury business for 30 years involved in the logistics of servicing such clients in Manhattan..I know what I am talking about

And as VG says above sometimes they do take the subway...believe it or not

Last edited by jconyc; September 26th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2560
Ghostface79

As a skyscraper enthusiast, I am quite excited about the Midtown Rezoning and I'm quite sure it will be approved, but I'm also glad that the issue of infrastucture in the area was inserted in the discussion. Such expansions can't be implemented without taking into consideration the amount of people that will enventually flood this area of midtown and not taking that into consideration would almost defeat the purpose as it wouldn't make the area that desirable for people to live and work in. Take it from an upper eastsider who has to deal with the 6 train on a daily basis; I love the neighborhood but that commute sometimes makes me consider a move; I cannot wait for the 2nd avenue to go into effect

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall