daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:23 AM   #2841
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
The irony of this whole thing is that many Chinese supertalls are designed by ... you guessed it ... American firms!

- Shanghai Tower, Gensler
- Ping An, KPF
- Guangzhou CFT, KPF
- Wuhan Greenland Center, AS+GG (aha!)
- Tianjin CTF, SOM
- Citic Plaza Beijing, KPF

And I could go on and on ...
Yeah China is where they unload their junk ideas ...

NYdude, ChuckScraperMiami#1, dexter2 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2842
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Oh really?

Do I need to continue?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:39 AM   #2843
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Riley i think that is, a little exaggerated. :P

I only like the 2nd of the 3 Photos, the Jin Mao is to busy, and the red letters on the third scream tacky.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2844
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

Hong Kong doesn't count as China per se.

Hong Kong has its own unique architectural relationship with skyscrapers that sets it apart from the rest of China.

That first one looks like a poor man's Petronas Towers and the 3rd looks atrocious.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, dexter2 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:53 AM   #2845
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Jin Mao is above and beyond Petronas, no contest. Kingkey is U/C in that photo, hence the red letters. You seem to be one of those American supremacists who has piles of bias because of the country a building is built in. I'm done with OT, you'll probably never understand anyway.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #2846
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

First dibs on tower nickname:

Tetris Tower
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2847
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post
First dibs on tower nickname:

Tetris Tower
Appropriate.

Personally I love the design. I like cantilevers. Gives it a futuristic, sci-fi look.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM   #2848
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I'll try to draw some renders this evening of the tower since all we have right now is blurry. If anyone has any specific angle they'd like, I'll be happy to do it.
Yes, please do one that includes your best estimation of the notch/setback near the crown that I mentioned earlier. It may be that near the top of the tower it steps back from the line of the cantilever to realign with the base. That is what it looks like to me or something close to this. It looks like it steps back only on the eastern side...in other words the cantilever does not go all the way to the crown...

jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2849
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Appropriate.

Personally I love the design. I like cantilevers. Gives it a futuristic, sci-fi look.
I think we are quite lucky 220 CPS is in the works. Without it this tower wouldn't have its most interesting feature. Hopefully NYC won't slow down, I really dislike 432 and this being the tallest towers but maybe that won't last too long.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hunser liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2850
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Yes, please do one that includes your best estimation of the notch/setback near the crown that I mentioned earlier. It may be that near the top of the tower it steps back from the line of the cantilever to realign with the base. That is what it looks like to me or something close to this. It looks like it steps back only on the eastern side...in other words the cantilever does not go all the way to the crown...
Okay, will do. It'll probably be tomorrow. I've got to read 50 pages tonight about the Ebola virus.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2851
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopchina View Post
I hope this is not the final render...
I am sure it is not!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #2852
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Not feeling this one. Although as some have said, the lower portion isn't that bad.

ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM   #2853
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I have less of a problem with the cantilever itself and more of a problem with the way it was executed. If there was some sort of exposed structural system or diagrid on the exterior of the building (which was kind of hinted behind the facade in the street level renderings), it could actually a pretty dramatic gesture. But when it looks like a box offset from another box below, it looks like a preliminary massing model at best and a clumsy, elementary design at worst.

Hopefully future renderings will be more promising. I had hoped for something sleek and iconic in this location... so far that promise has come up short.

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2854
t94

Likes (Received): 844

For goodness sake I leave this thread for THREE days and it's turned into a pigsty.

I can see all of the anti-minimalism morons have come in and swept the popular opinion by storm. I personally think the tower looks VERY solid. Did you think you were going to get some organic, corny Asian/Dubai design? Those designs only work if the city skyline tapers to a single point, which is definitely not the case with midtown. I think they really dealt the cards right on this building. There aren't any half-ass setbacks, half-ass spires or half-ass thinness, it's a bona fide skyscraper soaring to 1423 feet. No ifs, ands or buts about it. It's mass will dominate the skyline which the likes of 432 park, 107th and Tower Verre can't (not that the aforementioned are bad designs, it's just that they lack mass near the top.)

The tower is different. It plays around with the core box/rectangular concepts in skyscrapers and gives it a modern 2013 spin. I think the cantilever is a rather bold move and is almost a bit unsettling to see it tower above you while hanging over the edge. The base looks impressive too, with lots of detailing and a clear emphasis on high-end architecture.

The only way I can see you oppose the design is if you were hoping for some corny, organic design, which wouldn't suit New York at all. It fits with the skyline and looks good while doing it. I don't see what the problem is. I hope to see this completed the way it is.

bozenBDJ, iamtheSTIG, Kanto, Mahogany, NYdude and 2 others liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2855
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

i really enjoy Tetris towers design actually :] it doesn't prove to be anything over special but its at least got some taste with some of that overhang thing(i don't know how to describe that) that is just enough to make me thoroughly enjoy it.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2856
lakegz

Likes (Received): 32

I don't like the cantilever. New York is a city of graceful step-backs and this is an awkward "step-over" They gotta re-do it.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2857
giorgio righi riva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

The cantilevered volumes remind me some REm Kohlass's works,What i fell about this new tower? first i would to see the final rendering, but remeber people , architecture is not a free discipline: you have a lot of costrictions : budget,context,place, zoning code,construction feasibility (ok this today is not so a problem) but more complexity =more cost , these costrictione are for all buildings, but when you build so high you must multiply costrictions problems x 2 . taking account of all this the verdict is positive. Architecture like expression of these costricitons , like a energy, a form of artificial life that fight and try to emerge in the urban jungle

Kanto, TowerVerre:) liked this post
giorgio righi riva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2858
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

23 East 22nd Street // New York // OMA
http://www.archicentral.com/23-east-...york-oma-3291/

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto, TowerVerre:), jconyc liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2859
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

But that is beautiful balanced and "complete" design. Can't say this for 225. At least not yet. Not after what I've seen so far. Hopefully more renders will came out soon.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2860
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
For goodness sake I leave this thread for THREE days and it's turned into a pigsty.

I can see all of the anti-minimalism morons have come in and swept the popular opinion by storm. I personally think the tower looks VERY solid. Did you think you were going to get some organic, corny Asian/Dubai design? Those designs only work if the city skyline tapers to a single point, which is definitely not the case with midtown. I think they really dealt the cards right on this building. There aren't any half-ass setbacks, half-ass spires or half-ass thinness, it's a bona fide skyscraper soaring to 1423 feet. No ifs, ands or buts about it. It's mass will dominate the skyline which the likes of 432 park, 107th and Tower Verre can't (not that the aforementioned are bad designs, it's just that they lack mass near the top.)

The tower is different. It plays around with the core box/rectangular concepts in skyscrapers and gives it a modern 2013 spin. I think the cantilever is a rather bold move and is almost a bit unsettling to see it tower above you while hanging over the edge. The base looks impressive too, with lots of detailing and a clear emphasis on high-end architecture.

The only way I can see you oppose the design is if you were hoping for some corny, organic design, which wouldn't suit New York at all. It fits with the skyline and looks good while doing it. I don't see what the problem is. I hope to see this completed the way it is.
I'm the last person here who wishes for a curvy, organic skyscraper in the city, especially this tall. I'm well aware of the fact that a Shanghai Tower like designed tower would look horrible on the skyline. And the Dubai (Marina) Towers I won't even comment.

It's just that we already have 432 PA (which I like btw) at a similar height. Look what SHoP did with 111 West, that's what I call great architecture. Minimalist and boxy shaped skyscrapers are great (love 4WTC!) but we don't need them all over the city, especially when acting like a potential signature tower.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall