daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2881
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
...where are they?
I'm almost positive they're 'shopped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On the cantilever thing... I can't say I know yet how I feel about it. The idea that it's somehow impeding on the space of the Arts Students building is ridiculous to me, considering how high up the cantilevered portion starts, and how comparatively slight the overlap is.

I just have trouble with it, visually. Feels like that massive tower is teetering on the brink. Even 432 Park, while slim, looks very grounded to me.

Anyhow, I would put money (maybe not a lot, but some) on the renders shown at the LC hearing being preliminary massing models, necessary for tackling the particular issue of the cantilever. A meeting with a handful of people over a relatively minor permitting issue would seem a silly setting to unveil Extell's signature tower.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #2882
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

they are photoshopped.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2883
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They are photoshopped but those would have been so cool if built
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2884
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
woah those buildings are surreal, where are they?
Fictions: Architectural Assemblage by Filip Dujardin
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #2885
wilfred267

Likes (Received): 72

NYGUY over at SSP posted that 220 is aiming high so things are getting more interesting.

http://mgross.com/gripebox/vornado-a...pad-exclusive/

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/10/...al-park-south/

Funkyskunk2 liked this post

Last edited by wilfred267; October 4th, 2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: incomplete information
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #2886
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I was told by someone with inside information that a massing model was shown merely to depict the cantilever. That is not the final design. That being said, that's very probably the basic shape, but perhaps there will be setbacks, tapering, a crown, etc. She did not state any of thone details. That's my speculation. She merely stated that a massing model was shown -- not the final design.

I could not imagine that great firms like Extell and Smith Gill would produce something so mediocre.
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #2887
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I was told by someone with inside information that a massing model was shown merely to depict the cantilever. That is not the final design. That being said, that's very probably the basic shape, but perhaps there will be setbacks, tapering, a crown, etc. She did not state anyof that. She merely stated that a massing model was shown -- not the final design.
Boy, I hope so!
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #2888
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Me too. That would certainly make sense.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #2889
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I was told by someone with inside information that a massing model was shown merely to depict the cantilever. That is not the final design. That being said, that's very probably the basic shape, but perhaps there will be setbacks, tapering, a crown, etc. She did not state anyof that. She merely stated that a massing model was shown -- not the final design.
This is what I'm thinking as well. They where there to merely gain approval for the cantilever only. Extell is not there to gain approval with the overall look as it does not concern those attendees so no need to give the complete design away when they are not ready to make the design official. In fact. Extell does not have to gain approval with the way the tower looks, the height etc to any groups unless it is an issue that would directly effect the appearance of a landmark. The only approval that Extell needs Is from the DOB at this point. The Nordstrom is as-of-right tower.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #2890
RobertWalpole
BANNED

That's correct.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2891
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I almost vomited when I saw the muddled disgusting mix of stacked boxes and blank glass wall - total crap. Mr. Barnett better not shame NYC with that monstrosity. thank god my toilet doesn't have to suffer the retching of my disgust though, as I applaud all efforts to lambaste such a vile tower, a true crime against NY's aesthetic quality.

I want to see a curved tower portion with a crown and a facade texture of some kind. NO plain flat roof GLASS WALLS towering over CP again. The park must be thought of in the design. A curved tower is contextual with the natural beauty of the park. No industrial glass walls please here Mr. Adrian Smith.

Now excuse me for ranting like a freaking lunatic, but such a tower is amazingly situated, and this is all they could do? The park is 2 blocks away. What a disgusting crime against central park. Can u imagine that awful plain glass wall towering over the park and how ugly it will clash?

IF this is the final render, I'm going to be ridiculously mad and will begin to lose faith in NY developers as having no interest in design at all. I know they are profit driven, but come on, you're in the city building industry and have a bit of an interest, will ya?. This is making me want to become a developer to bring some decent design to this city.

rencharles liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; October 4th, 2013 at 05:07 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #2892
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

This could be a curvy work of art and you would still be complaining either way.

streetscapeer liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2893
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Wouldn't the fact that a cantilever is even present, means this tower is boxy?
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #2894
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

You guys should really stop worrying. Are you guys forgetting the team behind this? This is Gary Barnett and Adrian Smith, no way they will screw it up.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #2895
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post
Wouldn't the fact that a cantilever is even present, means this tower is boxy?
It probably will be boxy. Also, who knows? Perhaps the final design won't be that different. She merely said that a massing model was shown -- not the actual design.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #2896
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
This could be a curvy work of art and you would still be complaining either way.
Nope, what the heck? I love curvy towers.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #2897
ThatOneGuy

Alright, I'm getting pretty sick of the anti-modernists and the anti-minimalist hate. It's always the same damn thing "oh, it's boxy it's gonna look sooo boring" then afterwards people like how nice the building looks when it is finished. This is 4WTC's or 432 Park's scenario all over again. Besides, Citigroup Center's the only building in NYC I can think of that even has a real cantilever in its design. Not to mention that simple glass cladding is basically the only material that you can just about go nowhere wrong with, especially if it matches the sky in colour.

There are nothing but blurry incomplete sketches and you are all crying over the design.
It might not even be the real design, but this extreme prejudice against minimalism, against linear angles and sheer verticality, and against the chance to build a simple yet creative neo-modernist landmark is pathetic.

t94, iamtheSTIG, dexter2, streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; October 4th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #2898
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

This has nothing to do with being anti-modernist or anti-minimalist. The tower is just plain ugly! That's it. For the record I love both 4WTC and 432 Park. I hope RW is right in that this was not the final product shown.

patrykus liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #2899
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Alright, I'm getting pretty sick of the anti-modernists and the anti-minimalist hate. It's always the same damn thing "oh, it's boxy it's gonna look sooo boring" then afterwards people like how nice the building looks when it is finished. This is 4WTC's or 432 Park's scenario all over again. Besides, Citigroup Center's the only building in NYC I can think of that even has a real cantilever in its design. Not to mention that simple glass cladding is basically the only material that you can just about go nowhere wrong with, especially if it matches the sky in colour.

There are nothing but blurry incomplete sketches and you are all crying over the design.
It might not even be the real design, but this extreme prejudice against minimalism, against linear angles and sheer verticality, and against the chance to build a simple yet creative neo-modernist landmark is pathetic.
The glass wall is too vertical and offensive so close to the organic nature of CP.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #2900
ThatOneGuy

Half of what you see from most of Central Park is stumpy white brick buildings. Something with strong verticality and fresh glass will be a welcome addition. The other, thinner proposal to the East will also have a sheer vertical glass wall from the parspective of Central Park, almost at the height of this design, yet not one person complains.
People also have to stop acting as if there aren't going to be any more tall buildings in this area of midtown, near Central Park. This will fit in perfectly in 10 years, I'd say.

@Ghostface This is really so ugly? I'd bet the cantilever wouldn't even be visible from most angles apart from the base of the tower itself.
[img]http://oi39.************/10geo2b.jpg[/img]

iamtheSTIG, streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; October 4th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall