daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2901
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Until now, project disappointing. They had the chance to do something epic, and did exactly the opposite. As I commented in the SSP, if it were built somewhere else (maybe Times Square), would not be so bad. The problem is to see this monster grow across from Central Park. BUT, as has been said here, it's too soon, and I'll wait to see the final project. Maybe it's not so bad.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #2902
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4653

ThatOneguy, I should be asking you what you find so appealing in this tower? From that shot it looks like any glass building in the world, just taller, actually you're more drawn to every single one of the 57th street towers but that one since it looks so bland. 432 Park at least has some unique features and the structured is well coordinated. This tower looks like it's been put together with parts that don't belong together. That said we should really take a step back and wait for the official renders to be released, and pray this is not the final product.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2903
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

It's definitely different,, maybe it'll grow on everyone..
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2904
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

I really like it. Maybe I'm crazy
#TEAMNORDSTROM
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2905
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
It's definitely different,, maybe it'll grow on everyone..
That's what I'm thinking,

I think it will turn out better than we think, I'm personally looking forward to yet another building in the same height caliber as WTC/Sears going up, sooner or later they'll be all over NY.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2906
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6556

I think it will fit well in the skyline.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2907
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
This has nothing to do with being anti-modernist or anti-minimalist. The tower is just plain ugly! That's it. For the record I love both 4WTC and 432 Park. I hope RW is right in that this was not the final product shown.
We still haven't seen the tower from afar and the renders are blurry and most likely not final. But the base on the renders we've seen so far is the opposite of minimalism. I really don't get people complaining about the anti-minimalism as this tower (the base at least) is nothing but minimalist.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2908
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Alright, I'm getting pretty sick of the anti-modernists and the anti-minimalist hate. It's always the same damn thing "oh, it's boxy it's gonna look sooo boring" then afterwards people like how nice the building looks when it is finished. This is 4WTC's or 432 Park's scenario all over again. Besides, Citigroup Center's the only building in NYC I can think of that even has a real cantilever in its design. Not to mention that simple glass cladding is basically the only material that you can just about go nowhere wrong with, especially if it matches the sky in colour.

There are nothing but blurry incomplete sketches and you are all crying over the design.
It might not even be the real design, but this extreme prejudice against minimalism, against linear angles and sheer verticality, and against the chance to build a simple yet creative neo-modernist landmark is pathetic.
It's a massing model. That's not the final design.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2909
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Forgot I had this photo as well from during the presentation. Make of it what you will. I hope RW is correct! Either way, this will be enormous; that's One57's base at right, for reference.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

patrykus, iamtheSTIG liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2910
patrykus

Looks somehow different from the street level render. Skinnier imo. Also there seems to be a crown on top, or is it just me?

I like it more on that render.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2911
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

^ Looks pretty cool but i think we need a better-quality render picture .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2912
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Looks somehow different from the street level render. Skinnier imo. Also there seems to be a crown on top, or is it just me?

I like it more on that render.
Based on the massing models, the tower has a rectangular shape, and the wide part is the north-south side. The skinny part is the east-west side. Thus, it looks skinnier when viewed from West 57th than it does when it's seen from the Park.
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2913
patrykus

I like towers with square section more than those flat rectangular ones, but I would need some render showing the tower not facing any of the sides directly but on an angle like 45° or something to see if I'd like it.

Old October 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2914
RobertWalpole
BANNED

We'll see what the final product looks like. This massing model isn't it.
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2915
jconyc

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Based on the massing models, the tower has a rectangular shape, and the wide part is the north-south side. The skinny part is the east-west side. Thus, it looks skinnier when viewed from West 57th than it does when it's seen from the Park.
I first brought this up several days ago when the video captures where revealed...in every picture I have seen there is clearly a shadow near the top that seems to indicate a setback, notch or some other articulation high up. It appears in the image above as well.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2916
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
I first brought this up several days ago when the video captures where revealed...in every picture I have seen there is clearly a shadow near the top that seems to indicate a setback, notch or some other articulation high up. It appears in the image above as well.
And bear in mind, that whatever notch may be depicted, that image is a massing model and not the final design.

Extell did a magnificent job with One57. A company of that calibre, and an architect like SG, likely will produce something stunning.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2917
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
I think what is visible is shape of some kind of a crown. Here what I think is visible here.

Old October 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2918
jconyc

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I think what is visible is shape of some kind of a crown. Here what I think is visible here.

I agree...
Wouldn't it be great if 1423 was highest occupied floor and this crown extended above?
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2919
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Yeah, 30 feet high. No, not gonna happen. And if there is a tower that will overtake Willis Tower it has to come up with a better design than this one.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2920
RobertWalpole
BANNED

This is not the design. It's a massing model.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall