daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2921
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

edit
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2922
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This is not the design. It's a massing model.
It doesn't have to mean it can't feature any actual elements the tower will have, like the crown - even if it won't be exactly like on this render.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

jconyc, iamtheSTIG liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2923
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Maybe. We'll see.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2924
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The glass wall is too vertical and offensive so close to the organic nature of CP.
Did you just complain about verticality on a skyscraper forum?
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2925
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It doesn't have to mean it can't feature any actual elements the tower will have, like the crown - even if it won't be exactly like on this render.
Particularly when we look at how developed the design is of the Nordstrom facade...it would seem that this is pretty far along

iamtheSTIG liked this post
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2926
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Particularly when we look at how developed the design is of the Nordstrom facade...it would seem that this is pretty far along
Agreed! The purpose of that hearing is how the Nordstrom blends in with the Landmarked building and where and what point the cantilever will occur.

I can assume what we see with the Nordstrom portion is what we can basically expect.

I honestly don't even think the design of the cantilever showed is even what we may get. That part shown I believe, is just for visualization purposes to show how something like that will overhang their building.

From what I can tell, it was a success and the members seem to be happy where and how it will be occurring over the said building.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2927
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Agreed! The purpose of that hearing is how the Nordstrom blends in with the Landmarked building and where and what point the cantilever will occur.

I can assume what we see with the Nordstrom portion is what we can basically expect.

I honestly don't even think the design of the cantilever showed is even what we may get. That part shown I believe, is just for visualization purposes to show how something like that will overhang their building.

From what I can tell, it was a success and the members seem to be happy where and how it will be occurring over the said building.
I agree with this because there seems to be a disconnect between the Nordstrom base and the tower portion. I have a really hard time believing this disconnect will persist in the final design.
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #2928
Redzio
To ja!

Likes (Received): 6786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetjev1 View Post
The Dutch city of Eindhoven has a building with a cantilever and it actually looks very good. It's called the Kennedytoren and its 83 meters tall.

And a Cosmopolitan building in Warsaw

patrykus liked this post
Redzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2929
patrykus

Yeah, that is probably the best "overhanging" (build) tower I've seen so far
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2930
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4479

Thought i'd give you all a sneak peak at my own 225 West 57th Street project for my art college class, i'm designing a modern Art Deco skyscraper at 90 floors with a roof height of 450m, the base is 62x62m, the design is not final! and I haven't started on the crown yet

Here's a floor plate for the middle set of setbacks (inspired by the F-117 Nighthawk and bald eagle):

Here's the floor plate for the middle section of the tower:

Here's a rough model of one of the middle row setbacks made from polystyrene and paper (some sides are missing):

This is the cladding i'm going to hopefully use for the setback for my full 3D model:

Here's my (incomplete) design so far:

L.A.F.2., sgollis liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2931
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Nice! You should post your stuff in the Models section of the Creative Corner.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2932
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
ThatOneguy, I should be asking you what you find so appealing in this tower? From that shot it looks like any glass building in the world, just taller, actually you're more drawn to every single one of the 57th street towers but that one since it looks so bland. 432 Park at least has some unique features and the structured is well coordinated. This tower looks like it's been put together with parts that don't belong together. That said we should really take a step back and wait for the official renders to be released, and pray this is not the final product.
I don't care if there are a billion of them in the world, I just care about the way they look. One of my favourite buildings in NYC doesn't even have an official name.The simplicity and cool placement of the rectangular forms are interesting in themselves and from afar it is a clean and sleek building. I'm strongly against the idea that simplicity=blandness.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2933
patrykus

I will ask this again - who in this thread says this tower is ugly because of the simplicity?

Old October 5th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2934
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

You need to stop insinuating that because we don't like the tower means we don't like simple or minimalist towers. Besides I'm not sure how minimalist this tower is if you look at it from top to bottom, tho the condo portion of it sure is, the bottom and mid portion sure aren't. You're entitled to your opinion about this building and I'm entitled to mine, that's why we all come to this forum, and to me this building doesn't reflect what is expected in a city like NYC on a street like 57th street where all those other well-designed buildings are popping up. I don't even mind it being uncoordinated as some point out, cause look at 56 Leonard, that turned out pretty well. This is an ok building for an office building in midtown manhattan, not as a luxury tower on 57th street.

patrykus liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2935
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I suspect that an awesome design will emerge for this site, particularly since this tower will have a lot of competition (e.g., Verre, 220 CPS, 45 E 60th, Steinway, maybe Park Lane, and 650 Madison).

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2936
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #2937
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
Is this the height to the highest occupied floor?
I dunno. That figure was supplied by AS+GG, so don't know what they are going by if they are giving occupied floor figure or the height with crown included.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2938
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2370

Is there no way, some forumers from NY, walk up for the first hand information on this?
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2939
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I will ask this again - who in this thread says this tower is ugly because of the simplicity?
I don't . I think the simple design is quite good to be true.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2940
patrykus

You misunderstood me ZZ What I meant was that imo nobody criticizes this tower because of its simplicity. I also like minimalistic designs - they just have to be good. The same goes for all styles really. Weather it's simple trump tower or organic shanghai tower design can be good or bad regardless of the style.

So saying we don't like it just because it's minimalistic is nonsense.

spectre000 liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; October 6th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall