daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3001
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I don't know what are they waiting for .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
We're trending towards a situation in which New York will be experiencing hurricanes nearly as frequently as the Gulf Coast. While Extell could perhaps be excused for being unprepared when Sandy hit, ignorance isn't going to be an excuse for the developers of these tall towers going forward.

As for the CB vetoing the cantilever, I actually hope they succeed -- but that's largely based on the unflattering proportions of what we saw in those videos. If what was shown at that meeting was in fact just a massing model, and a better, more beautiful design exists, Extell may have really done themselves a disservice. I'd guess we'll see a more detailed render of the cantilevered version intended to "sell" the city on its aesthetic merits, before the city decides on giving the permit.
Ironically, since 2005 NYC has been hit more time by tropical storms and hurricanes than Miami... and twice in a row.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #3002
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

New York has been hit by tropical storms and hurricanes since as far back as our recordings of it go. There was one hurricane around 1850 that spurred so much rain that the middle of Manhattan was underwater and the island became two separate islands.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #3003
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

As the tower that was shown was a mere massing model, it would be nice if SG plans something like this tower they designed for Seoul. It also has a cantilevered shape, and it has carved boxes like those shown in the Nordstrom base.

Old October 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3004
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Those look amazing!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #3005
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
As the tower that was shown was a mere massing model, it would be nice if SG plans something like this tower they designed for Seoul. It also has a cantilevered shape, and it has carved boxes like those shown in the Nordstrom base.
Yea those are nice! They are called the dancing dragons. Would look cool in the skyline next to one57 waterfall like cladding.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

sgollis liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #3006
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I'd love a shape like that for NYC. Conde Nast turned out beautifully with its different exterior sections. NYC needs something else like it.
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3007
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Wasn't someone saying something like "asia is where american star-architects unload their junk ideas" Don't worry, I'm not provoking any fight here just biased people always entertain me

I love the dragons, one of the best designs by Mr Smith. Too bad they are scrapped. IMO what we saw from street level didn't look too similar to them. They've had more freedom with the dragons since they were planned for entirely new district. As to 225 it will most likely have to be redesigned again so we can't know what to expect anyway.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Philly Bud liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; October 13th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3008
RobertWalpole
BANNED

They go before LPC next week. "Gary Barnett," as Gershon Swiatsky calls himself, is very powerful. Therefore, his cantilever may be approved there. The CB5 vote is not binding. That being said, after last week's fiasco with CB5, Extell may very well show the actual tower and not a massing model.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Dancing Dragons cantilevered over the ASL.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3009
patrykus

I don't believe final current design would be much different at the base than what we saw already. I mean solely the shape of the base portion. Sure the cladding may be better but I don't understand how shapes and dimensions of the base would differ much. After all the purpose of the CB5 meeting was to get approval for that portion of the tower (where the cantilever is), so why on earth would Smith play against himself showing something worse or different from the actual design? I get that top portion of the tower was irrelevant for this approval and thus could be different, but I don't think the base of the tower would differ much in complete design since that was the section of the building they were trying to get approval for.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old October 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #3010
Mahogany

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

Actual project looks a lot better.
Mahogany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3011
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I don't believe final current design would be much different at the base than what we saw already. I mean solely the shape of the base portion. Sure the cladding may be better but I don't understand how shapes and dimensions of the base would differ much. After all the purpose of the CB5 meeting was to get approval for that portion of the tower (where the cantilever is), so why on earth would Smith play against himself showing something worse or different from the actual design? I get that top portion of the tower was irrelevant for this approval and thus could be different, but I don't think the base of the tower would differ much in complete design since that was the section of the building they were trying to get approval for.
No one is talking about the base.
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3012
patrykus

By base I mean all what is on this picture. It was the the portion of the tower CB5 was to review and hence on the final design it should be the same.

Old October 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3013
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I am taking about the same area. CB5 considered only the cantilever. Therefore, Exte'll showed a roughly 350m rectangular tower perched upon that base, which rises about 70m. The rectangular, "tower portion" that rose to the 88th floor was a massing model -- not the final design.

This is not the design of the tower. It's a massing model. For all we know, the final design could be quite similar or it could have a Dancing Dragon style tower cantilever ed over the base, etc.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 13th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3014
patrykus

So we agree that the base is what's more or less final. It's the base what's the messy and chaotic part of that design that most people are complain about. It's also the base that made CB5 reject it. And it is most likely the same on the final design. So showing complete design won't change much the view from street level.

Old October 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3015
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22527

I like the 'dragon scale' cladding ASGG imagined with the dancing dragons. I think it would've worked well to make this tower unique on the CP skyline.
Old October 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3016
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I like the 'dragon scale' cladding ASGG imagined with the dancing dragons. I think it would've worked well to make this tower unique on the CP skyline.
Agree! I'm optimistically hoping for cladding like this for 225.
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3017
Vertical_Gotham

If AS+G can design something along the lines of the dancing dragons that would be amazing! This part of Midtown has the opportunity to be really unique and special with great forward thinking designs such as one57, 111W57 Tower Verre and the simplistic towering 432PA .

bozenBDJ, rencharles liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 13th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #3018
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

I agree.

I think the dancing dragons would fit in very well.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #3019
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:

Alas this is not going to happen, you know this quite well.
I am just praying to God that they at least change the design into something more attractive

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #3020
RobertWalpole
BANNED

It's entirely possible that a tower like that is planned. S&G will come up with something striking.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall