daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM   #3101
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandroPappalardo View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked, but, why does the tower cantilever? I can't find a reason why the tower can't rise over its own plot.

A 920-foot building is going to be built right between this building and Central Park. The cantilever would move the tower 28 feet to the right (East), affording better views of the Park.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM   #3102
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Thanks Rob!

Missed that crucial detail. Why in 2 colors? Threw me off lol
My pleasure. The two pieces look like the same color to me. The dark grey on the lower portion is where it will abut the B'Way buildings that will remain.

Also, the parts with different colors presumably are indented from the rest of the facade, like the identations we've seen on the 57th St street level facade.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 23rd, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3103
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

According to New York YIMBY's twitter the LPC voted to approve Extell's certificate of appropriateness for the cantilever.
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3104
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
My pleasure. The two pieces look like the same color to me.
I think I need to have my eyes checked
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3105
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredb View Post
According to New York YIMBY's twitter the LPC voted to approve Extell's certificate of appropriateness for the cantilever.
I figured that Extell would fight for the cantilever. But we don't know yet if it's the same 28-foot wide cantilever starting at 291 feet above ground that has been approved.

Hopefully the actual design will be reveled soon.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3106
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredb View Post

I honestly knew that LPC will approve this while the students league kept their mouth zipped with the extra cash they made with Extell.

The LPC imo, actually have no say other than what effects the land mark building in question, which the cantilever is nowhere near it as it is 300ft above it.

I wonder if Yimby attended the hearing and if AS+GG did in fact decided to show the whole enchilada.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3107
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I honestly knew that LPC will approve this. They have no say other than what effects the land mark building in question, which the cantilever is nowhere near it as it is 300ft above it.

I wonder if Yimby attended the hearing and if AS+GG did in fact decided to show the whole enchilada.
Sounds like YIMBY did attend! Hopefully we get to see that enchilada if he was able to
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3108
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
I figured that Extell would fight for the cantilever. But we don't know yet if it's the same 28-foot wide cantilever starting at 291 feet above ground that has been approved.

Hopefully the actual design will be reveled soon.
I believe that the actual design is the model that's been posted.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3109
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ž┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

YIMBY is our eyes and ears!

Boy, I so hope the design turns out to be at least somehow appropriate for the location. Fingers crossed.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3110
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1535

The location and height of the building should be cause for a crown. It would be a shame if the top is not interesting.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3111
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Hope you guys like the full write-up. Tried to be comprehensive. Also spoke, though that did not change the commission's mind.

http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/10/appr...rom-tower.html

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3112
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Hope you guys like the full write-up. Tried to be comprehensive. Also spoke, though that did not change the commission's mind.

http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/10/appr...rom-tower.html
You linked here when the insider post was from SSP. Link this instead.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1478
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:19 PM   #3113
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
You linked here when the insider post was from SSP. Link this instead.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1478
Thanks!

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3114
Vertical_Gotham

Can't wait to see this in more detail.

It would be interesting if those balconies will be open air or enclosed by windows like ShoP's northern fašade design in 107 W 57th street. They are actually not balconies, but part of the apartments which Nordstrom design could mimic.

I know if it was open air balconies I would be pretty nervous hanging out there with high winds looking down 1,000 ft + high in the air.

Maybe since this flew past that last big hurdle, you think AS will release any renderings within the coming weeks? Hopefully, sooner.

Like this.
image hosted on flickr

L.A.F.2. liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 22nd, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #3115
AlejandroK

Likes (Received): 40

Does anyboby know of another development where a building overlapped the plot of an existing building? If this building accomplishes this, it will open the door for other projects in New York. What are your thoughts on a new typology of building where the plots would have to be considered 3D T shaped and so on?
AlejandroK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3116
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Hope you guys like the full write-up.
Thanks for the write-up and for going to the meeting! Funny that that curvy dark-gray model is almost identical to the proposed 1300 ft. version of One57. Are we 100% sure that's not what that was?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3117
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

If those models are correct then the height in this thread is wrong. As I've said on the previous page those are at least 480m in height. But then again S&G themselves mentioned 434m making things quite confusing. Maybe even developer himself still don't know what the final height for this one will be
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #3118
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Good to read that this approval has been given. Now I'm looking forward to some real good renders.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #3119
Vertical_Gotham

Although, AS+GG formerly announced the height, it is worth mentioning that Gary could still decide to build it higher, so I would say it not exactly set in stone yet based on Skyguy's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I spoke to a knowledgeable architect while touring ASGG's office today. He is working on the project and offered some valuable insight. The developer is pretty dead set on the cantilever, but still very interested in additional height, referencing the value of CP views. They're definitely taking into consideration 220 CPS, judging by the massing model of the surrounding area. Unfortunately, you'll see from the actual 225 models that they're pretty intent on a flat roof. No intricate crown or spire, but perhaps a crowned mechanical level, which could look alright lit up at night. At best, this building will reflect 432 Park Ave, but as a more contemporary version of the boxy design. Take all this for what it's worth. Please enjoy the pics-
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #3120
Vertical_Gotham

Occluded Sky, Okay: Landmarks Approves Extell’s Plan to Cantilever Nordstrom Tower Over Art Students League
http://observer.com/2013/10/occluded...udents-league/

Quote:
In their discussion before the vote, the LPC cited the minimal impact of the cantilever, which is some 290 feet high and not visible from all vantage points, on the experience of the landmark, as well as the building’s contextually-sensitive cladding.
Quote:
Extell president Gary Barnett said that he was pleased with the decision. “I think you can see it was very well-considered; landmarks agreed this would have little to no impact on the building,” he said. “I’m excited to see this project move forward.”
Quote:
Supporters of the cantilever included the NY Hotel Trades Council, the American Institute of Architects NY, and the Art Students League, which will receive $25 million for allowing Extell to cantilever over its building, in addition to the $23.5 million that it already received for the sale of its air rights.

One overeager Nordstrom fan even came to voice her support, telling the LPC that it should approve the cantilever because “many of us have been waiting for a Nordstom for years!”

But Nordstrom spokesman Colin Johnson played down the retailer’s need for the cantilever after the vote, which has been often cited as the reason the element was essential to the design (the cantilever will reduce the need for columns in the Nordstrom store), telling The Observer that “ultimately, it was a design issue for the floors above us.”
Just as I suspected. Cantilever had nothing to do with Nordstrom.

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall