daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3121
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5311

Well, hopefully we'll see a sweet plaza under the cantilever.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:32 AM   #3122
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Well, hopefully we'll see a sweet plaza under the cantilever.
There's a building under it..

Mahogany, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:43 AM   #3123
McSky

Likes (Received): 1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
There's a building under it..

L.A.F.2., TowerVerre:) liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:47 AM   #3124
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Gah, I didn't realize that. Man, that'd be sweet to have.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:15 AM   #3125
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Yeah, that's what the whole fuss was about, and why the LPC had a say in the first place. If it didn't hang over a landmarked building, there wouldn't have been an issue.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:26 AM   #3126
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

At least they aren't demolishing it. My God, people love to find the most nonsensical things to complain about.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:39 AM   #3127
MarshallKnight

Well many of us were hoping that the cantilever would not be approved, because Barnett's likely move would have been to build higher, in order to preserve some of those ultra-valuable lost square feet with prime Central Park views. But this was his preferred option by far because it's cheaper to build wider (even with a cantilever) than higher.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:12 AM   #3128
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
At least they aren't demolishing it. My God, people love to find the most nonsensical things to complain about.
The thing is that the older building under it, called the Art Students League, doesn't belong to the developers, and it is landmarked, so they can't tear it down even if they want. They bought air rights from that building, but since it is not their property and it is also landmarked, they must seek permission to do the cantilever over it. The developers are paying the institution that owns the building 25 million dollars in order to make the cantilever BTW. But since it is landmarked, they also have to have the approval of the Landmarks Commision to do it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; October 23rd, 2013 at 03:17 AM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3129
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Well many of us were hoping that the cantilever would not be approved, because Barnett's likely move would have been to build higher, in order to preserve some of those ultra-valuable lost square feet with prime Central Park views. But this was his preferred option by far because it's cheaper to build wider (even with a cantilever) than higher.
For all we know, Gershon (ie, his real name) may still build higher. He's having a problem selling units in the mid section of One 57.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:44 AM   #3130
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
For all we know, Gershon (ie, his real name) may still build higher. He's having a problem selling units in the mid section of One 57.
True, his problem is he set the price point too high for those mid level units. Sales will pick up once his price adjust accordingly. This should be a valuable lesson learned for Gersh (lol) with One57.

With this Tower, He should build higher to max profits with the higher floors to make up for the lesser, cheaper mid floor units despite the higher construction costs he may incur for building higher. He will make it up with more $50 - $100 million apartments with amazing un obstructed views. This is where the premium is

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:53 AM   #3131
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
The thing is that the older building under it, called the Art Students League, doesn't belong to the developers, and it is landmarked, so they can't tear it down even if they want. They bought air rights from that building, but since it is not their property and it is also landmarked, they must seek permission to do the cantilever over it. The developers are paying the institution that owns the building 25 million dollars in order to make the cantilever BTW. But since it is landmarked, they also have to have the approval of the Landmarks Commision to do it.
Yeah, I realize that it couldn't be demolished, I just hate that people care about something that hangs 200 feet over it and affects the building itself none other than maybe a shadow at noon.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:19 AM   #3132
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Yeah, I realize that it couldn't be demolished, I just hate that people care about something that hangs 200 feet over it and affects the building itself none other than maybe a shadow at noon.
Maybe you mean the nimbys but if you mean here no one cares about the landmarked building, we want it redesigned so it will be taller with a less terrible design than the one shown. Or at least I do.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #3133
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
He's having a problem selling units in the mid section of One 57.
I hadn't heard that, it certainly adds an interesting wrinkle. While we've been noted that height isn't the be all and end all for these developers, maybe we've underestimated the dick measuring contest among the super-wealthy buyers of these units.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #3134
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Maybe you mean the nimbys but if you mean here no one cares about the landmarked building, we want it redesigned so it will be taller with a less terrible design than the one shown. Or at least I do.
No, I also support a main frame rising straight from the base, I just see no validity in the complaints coming from NIMBYs about the cantilever.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:57 AM   #3135
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I hadn't heard that, it certainly adds an interesting wrinkle. While we've been noted that height isn't the be all and end all for these developers, maybe we've underestimated the dick measuring contest among the super-wealthy buyers of these units.
If I was a buyer with my billions, will I pay for a mid level for $25 million with views that is blocked by other towers? No way. His asking is too high for those units. There will be better alternatives for that kind of money giving me the money views elsewhere in the city. If Gary lets say adjust those mid units to $5-$10 million range that gives partial great views, then those units will sell, that way those people can say I live in a billionaire building and look really good.

IMO, especially in NYC if you want billionaires to buy & pay your asking, then give them the 360 un obstructed views. This is why the higher apartments has sold well in one57 & 432 PA despite the high asking prices. I'm sure Gary is really thinking hard about this issue with the Nordstrom and hopefully he decides to go higher to offer more un obstructed view apartments set at dizzying prices to max profits.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3136
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

So at a roof height of 1,423 ft, 225 west 57th st is only gonna have 88 floors
The Empire State Building has a roof height of 1,250 ft and has 102 floors
The ceilings or the lobby are going to be really really really high
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3137
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29138

You can't compare 2 buildings from a completely different era. Average floor heights are much higher now.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3138
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I'll wait for some quality renderings which hopefully then will show all the little details in the design. Then I'll pass my final judgement on this tower. Still, it's really sad how far we've come: everyone hopes for at least a somehow decent design, given those horrible massing models.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3139
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Disappointed. Extell from heaven to hell... I don't understand, these guys had the opportunity to do something amazing, and did the opposite. Now, I'll hope that the materials of the facade are of quality, and that the final design (when released) is not an eyesore as we are expecting. But anyway, for me, this project will stand aside and I will pay more attention to other projects in the city: 111 W 57th St, 432 Park, Hudson Yards, 220 CPS, and others.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3140
jconyc

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
Disappointed. Extell from heaven to hell... I don't understand, these guys had the opportunity to do something amazing, and did the opposite. Now, I'll hope that the materials of the facade are of quality, and that the final design (when released) is not an eyesore as we are expecting. But anyway, for me, this project will stand aside and I will pay more attention to other projects in the city: 111 W 57th St, 432 Park, Hudson Yards, 220 CPS, and others.

How can you say such a thing when you haven't seen a rendering?
Speak for yourself....I for one am not expecting an eyesore

iamtheSTIG liked this post
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall