daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3161
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Anyone who calls this a fat tower is deluded, as it's quite thin.
I was just thinking this. The proportions of this tower are remarkable, but I guess this crowd has been spoiled by the ultra thin 432 Park and Steinway towers.

Anyway, I fully expect the strength of the design to be in the details, none of which we have seen.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3162
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Let's face it, lads. NYC is the world's skyscraper capital. Nothing compares. What other city in the first world has such a boom? None!
100%. It's amazing. Not that we need it, but it may even reclaim the top spot for most supertalls come 2025. I see a China bust before a NYC bottom.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3163
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Well, 1 Vanderbilt is still far from having a definitively design. The design we've seen I think doesn't yet show the changes it would have with the rezoning of that area, still we don't know the height it will end up being.
Seems like that tower can at most reach not much more above 400m, and that's with the spire. Anyway I wouldn't say ny have no chance for 500m+ tower, but if there will be any in next decade they have no chance overshadowing 225 because you can't do that with few towers spread across the city. And I'm being optimist here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I was just thinking this. The proportions of this tower are remarkable, but I guess this crowd has been spoiled by the ultra thin 432 Park and Steinway towers.
That's the thing. Calling 225 slender in the city where 107 west and 432 park ave are being build? Now who's deluded one Skinny? In china maybe but certainly not in midtown. I called it fat specifically to point out what impact this tower will have on the skyline and that will be big. So good design is important. And as I said before, Bobby, this white model might very well be over 500m tall and so far we know this tower might end up even 70m lower than this so final proportions may be even lower than on that model.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3164
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
100%. It's amazing. Not that we need it, but it may even reclaim the top spot for most supertalls come 2025. I see a China bust before a NYC bottom.
If only skyscrapers were all that mattered. I'd take a section of central London or Paris in NYC over 10 new supertalls.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3165
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
If only skyscrapers were all that mattered. I'd take a section of central London or Paris in NYC over 10 new supertalls.
We have the West Village. And SoHo. And many other historic neighborhoods. NYC has quite enough 'history'.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

Subsequence liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #3166
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
We have the West Village. And SoHo. And many other historic neighborhoods. NYC has quite enough 'history'.
I'm in London right now and there is so much ornamentation and beauty everywhere on nearly ever street that it's just unbelievable. If you want to believe that, you must be an ostrich.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #3167
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
I'm in London right now and there is so much ornamentation and beauty everywhere on nearly ever street that it's just unbelievable. If you want to believe that, you must be an ostrich.
The day you post a positive post is the day hell freezes over.

streetscapeer liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #3168
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Unfortunately you can't manufacture those extra 500-800 years of history.** NYC is, as far as world cities go, comparatively young, and it's doing what it does best, which is building up, looking forward and doing so in its particularly pragmatic way. That's its character. Paris and London are beautiful, but they're also at times (especially Paris) trenchantly anti-progress. And it's understandable, because they've got more history to preserve. But London isn't Paris isn't New York, and all the better for it. Embrace the diversity.

**Unless you're in China. Then you build a mini-Cambridge just because.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #3169
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Unfortunately you can't manufacture those extra 500-800 years of history.** NYC is, as far as world cities go, comparatively young, and it's doing what it does best, which is building up, looking forward and doing so in its particularly pragmatic way. That's its character. Paris and London are beautiful, but they're also at times (especially Paris) trenchantly anti-progress. And it's understandable, because they've got more history to preserve. But London isn't Paris isn't New York, and all the better for it. Embrace the diversity.

**Unless you're in China. Then you build a mini-Cambridge just because.
It's not just history, it's also about mandating decent design standards for developers. So much of what has been built recently is not up the quality of modern London projects. Why are there so many ugly hotel towers going up in central NYC? Could you imagine a Kaufmann special being built in central London? Also, London is building quite a lot too the last time i looked. It is also building interesting and unique structures that seem more progressive and unique than NYC's recent projects. So, NYC doesn't win on 'foward looking' attitude to be bluntly honest. Maybe it's time pragmatism be tamed and a little thought about aesthetics came in the picture.

bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; October 25th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #3170
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Eddie Gaedel.

N.Y.C.H liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3171
patrykus

that was low good you edited it out
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; October 25th, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #3172
MarshallKnight

Quote:
So much of what has been built recently is not up the quality of modern London projects. NYC should be doing more interesting designs now than another iteration of the box tower.
A decade or two from now, the weird, squiggly geometry of London's new CBD is going to seem as fresh as a pair of Union Jack bell-bottoms. And those boxes are still going to look good.

Edit: Dammit, I didn't wanted to get sucked into an O/T city vs. city argument. Aquablue, just go to the NY Projects & Construction thread, and you'll see that there's a heck of a lot more being built in NYC than just skyscrapers -- stuff that's on a human scale, with great materials, and classy designs. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what is.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; October 25th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #3173
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I’ve been to both Paris and London a bunch. First, neither city (London & NYC) imo, compares to Paris. Paris architecture is just stunning, but you can’t compare Paris to NY because both are just two different cities and there is no city on earth like NYC.

I have traveled and seen many cities in Europe. There are many beautiful old cities and London does not hold a candle to many of them. Sorry.

On the other hand you can compare Paris to London and you know who bests between the two for me, therefore being in London is kinda like been there and done that. Don’t get me wrong I love London too.

L.A.F.2., iamtheSTIG liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3174
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I’ve been to both Paris and London a bunch. First, neither city (London & NYC) imo, compares to Paris. Paris architecture is just stunning, but you can’t compare Paris to NY because both are just two different cities and there is no city on earth like NYC.

I have traveled and seen many cities in Europe. There are many beautiful old cities and London does not hold a candle to many of them. Sorry.

On the other hand you can compare Paris to London and you know who bests between the two for me, therefore being in London is kinda like been there and done that. Don’t get me wrong I love London too.
Who cares? I'm just saying that NYC seems to treat aesthetics like the red headed stepchild. Stop the ugly Kaufmann type buildings and have some respect for beauty. London and Paris at least treat aesthetics seriously when they build central buildings. You wouldn't see something like the Gotham West development in London.
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3175
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Nothing compares. What other city in the first world has such a boom? None!
Uh, Shenzhen, and a much larger one at that.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #3176
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
God, I've always found Paris super attractive. If I had to pick one city to go to in Europe, it'd be Paris, followed by Venice. I've never really found London attractive.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #3177
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Uh, Shenzhen, and by a long shot.
I think he thinks China is like Uganda or something, i.e, third world.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #3178
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
God, I've always found Paris super attractive. If I had to pick one city to go to in Europe, it'd be Paris, followed by Venice. I've never really found London attractive.
Walk down Regent Street at night, Picadilly, Strand, Portland Place , Mayfair, etc, and tell me that with a straight face.
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #3179
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
I think he thinks China is like Uganda or something, i.e, third world.
Smog City? No thanks

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #3180
patrykus

Quote:
Uh, Shenzhen, and a much larger one at that.
He knows, that's why he only stress first world cities

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall