daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3341
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Last edited by Xoltage; October 31st, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3342
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Thx, that looks pretty awesome!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3343
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

One Vanderbilt looks too tall

L.A.F.2. liked this post
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:37 PM   #3344
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

And it's far too thick, but everything else looks really good.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:51 PM   #3345
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post

Pretty cool. That angle is quite unusual.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:42 AM   #3346
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I can't wait to see the actual design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Breaking news!! New image released by AS+GG!

I'm on d bus now. Lol

What u fellas think about this? Kinda looks like 2 Hudson Blvd (Girasol) a bit IMO.

http://www.citylandnyc.org/approved-...udents-league/

Skyscraper to be built as-of-right, but requires Landmarks to review and approve its impact on adjacent individual landmark. On October 22, 2013, the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to issue a certificate of appropriateness to Extell Development, despite one dissenting vote, to allow a portion of a new planned tower to cantilever over the individually landmarked American Fine Arts Society building, located at 215 West 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan. The tower, which is intended to rise to over 1,400 feet, will house a Nordstrom department store at its base, and residences and a hotel above the store. The French Renaissance-style landmark building has been continuously occupied by the Art Students League of New York since its construction in 1892.

The cantilevered portion of the building would be visible from multiple street vantages. The cantilever would extend 28 feet into the landmark lot, approximately one-third of the lot. The section intruding into the air above the Art Students League would start at 290 feet above the street and 195 feet above the roof of the art school, which is equivalent to “20 stories of air.” The cantilever would be set back 80 feet from the street wall.

At the public hearing, Gary Barnett of Extell stated that the project, which would constitute “a significant addition to the New York City skyline,” would create over 1,300 jobs and generate over $1 billion in tax revenue for the City over 20 years. Barnett said the proposal would in no way detract from the landmark. Preservation Consultant Bill Higgins argued that the cantilever and the landmark would “exist in different planes of urban experience.”

Architect Gordon Gill, of Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill Architecture, said the glass-faced building would be composed of cantilevers, including a “sky lobby” 139 feet above the street. He said the cantilever over the landmark would give the building “a sense of scale” and a “modulation of the texture” of the otherwise sheer side fašade. Gill said the transparent fašade of the new building would provide “a contrast” to the stone-clad landmark, and “add texture and animation to the street.”

A representative of Manhattan Community Board 5 recommended a denial of the certificate, stating that the tower would be the second-tallest building in Manhattan and the cantilever would set a poor precedent. Ronda Wist of the Municipal Art Society argued that Landmarks should withhold approval until Extell instituted a protection plan for the Art Students League. She also testified that the new building’s all-glass fašade would not relate well to the masonry landmark, and that a study of the project’s impact on the already congested neighborhood is required. The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Alex Herrera also spoke in opposition, calling the cantilevered section a “huge mass hovering over the Art Students League.” One member of the League testified that the project would block natural light from entering the building through its rooftop skylights. Some area residents expressed concerns about safety, noting that a crane collapse had previously occurred at an Extell construction site, with one comparing the construction of the cantilever to a “sword of Damocles.”

Executive Director of the Art Students League Ira Goldberg said the funds from the League’s sale of its air rights to Extell would ensure the school’s longevity and allow it to make improvements. Goldberg attested that the project’s impact on the building would be minimal. Rick Bell, Executive Director of the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects, praised the design of the planned tower, and said it would not negatively affect the landmark, and that the unique characteristics of the site and the project would prevent it from setting a precedent. A representative of the Hotel Trades Council spoke in favor, saying the project would create “quality middle-class jobs.”

Landmarks Counsel Mark Silberman advised the Commissioners that Landmarks’ purview was limited to the project’s impact on the landmarked site, particularly the appropriateness of the cantilever. Silberman also advised that the Commission was not reviewing the design and scale of the planned tower.

Chair Robert B. Tierney recommended approval of the application, finding that it would have “negligible impact to the landmark site,” and noting that the project would be a benefit to the City and the art school. Concurring, Commissioner Libby Ryan concurred said the project would disrupt the complete perception of the landmark. Commissioner Diana Chapin found the cantilever to be an integral component of the proposed new structure, which would read as “part of the larger urban skyscape” that it did not impinge on the landmark. Commissioner Roberta Washington suggested that the cantilever be reduced so that it projects less into the landmarked site.

Commissioner Michael Goldblum did not find the proposal appropriate, determining that it did not reach the standard for architecture on an individually designated site. He said the impact of the project on the landmark was mitigated by the height of the cantilever, but the landmarked building would still be negatively affected. He also noted that the cantilever was not necessary for the development of the neighboring parcel.

The Commission voted to award the plan a certificate of appropriateness, with Commissioner Goldblum dissenting.

LPC: The American Fine Arts Society, 215 West 57th Street, Manhattan (14-9057) (Oct. 22, 2013) (Architect: Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill Architecture).
Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM   #3347
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Those are some nice renders, especially the one on the right.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3348
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I can't wait to see the actual design.

Yea me too! The suspense is killing me.

It's my first time seeing those renders of the massing. The left rendering must be the 58th street side and the right is the view from the 57th street side. (Nordstrom main entrance side)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; November 2nd, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #3349
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Correct.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3350
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Yea me too! The suspense is killing me.

It's my first time seeing those renders of the massing. The left rendering must be the 58th street side and the right is the view from the 57th street side. (Nordstrom main entrance side)

From that angle the cantilever looks pretty cool.

Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3351
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Guys, this looks like a pretty detailed massing model to me. I think these images are the actual design... but we're just not seeing them in high res. Maybe you'll see a few more specific details when the high res images are released to the public, such as framing of windows and stuff like that. But I think pretty much WYSIWYG.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM   #3352
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

I agree, there really is no reason to believe it is a massing model.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3353
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Guys, this looks like a pretty detailed massing model to me. I think these images are the actual design... but we're just not seeing them in high res. Maybe you'll see a few more specific details when the high res images are released to the public, such as framing of windows and stuff like that. But I think pretty much WYSIWYG.
I was told by someone who is directly involved with the project that what was shown to the Community Board, and the LPC, is a massing model of the tower -- not the final design. In fact, the renderings shown above differ from the models at SG's office.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3354
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

That is some big cantilever, the force must be stong on this one.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3355
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Whatever the design is, PLE-EE-EE-EE-ZE let them come out with it soon! And approved cantilever aside, at 1,423 ft will be awesome enough but what are the chances they'll go past 1,500ft?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3356
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I think the chances are very good that it will hit the full 1,550. Extell needs to distinguish this tower from the competition.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3357
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

It is interesting to note that the the cantilever continues around the north side of the tower and that there is an additional cantilever much higher up on the western side of the tower. Adding the lower cantilever showing in the hotel portion of the building on the South side...then all four sides of the structure have cantilevers of varying depths and/or heights...this shifting of masses is clearly a driving theme in this structure...note also the notch up near the crown which I first pointed out showing very clearly here
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #3358
The Quiet Storm
I ❤ Skyscrapers!

Likes (Received): 26

This is so unique for NY. I love it!

ON iTUNES NOW
The Quiet Storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3359
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

SOME of you know EXACTLY what is going on here!

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3360
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I really hope this is the final design. It looks incredible and will really complement 432 Park

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall