daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3361
tmb-ingville

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I really hope this is the final design. It looks incredible and will really complement 432 Park
praise for a featureless glass box - yup, kanto is back

Kanto liked this post
tmb-ingville no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3362
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Not normally, but in this case, I think to height takes precedent over the design. If this ends up being around 1500ft., it will be a great addition to the skyline, even with the simple design currently presented. The design isn't bad, just plain. If this gets quality cladding, it will look very impressive, IMO.

When are they supposed to start work on this? Next spring, I would guess?
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3363
crusaderpat

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Not normally, but in this case, I think to height takes precedent over the design. If this ends up being around 1500ft., it will be a great addition to the skyline, even with the simple design currently presented. The design isn't bad, just plain. If this gets quality cladding, it will look very impressive, IMO.

When are they supposed to start work on this? Next spring, I would guess?
So you're saying you'd rather have height over design? Why not both?
crusaderpat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3364
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

In my opinion this building has both: 1st class design and 1st class height

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3365
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb-ingville View Post
praise for a featureless glass box - yup, kanto is back
4WTC is great, amongst others because of it's featureless glass.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3366
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's ok as a filler. If build alone outside famous wtc site nobody would care for it.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3367
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Initial Renderings Reveal Design for Condo Tower on ‘Billionaires’ Row’
http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DVB-22191

Quote:
A spokesman for Extell, George Arzt, said the renderings showed a “work in progress,” and the building is “not a finished product.”
Quote:
For years, Extell had been holding up the Vornado tower, which would have obstructed views from Extell’s tower. But under a deal reached last month, Vornado is moving its tower to the west, and Extell moved its to the east, in part by creating the cantilever, so both can have views of the park, the people said.
Read more in link:

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; November 5th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3368
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Well, that's some relief. :\
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3369
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

As this article confirms, my source was completely accurate when she said that the final design was not shown. In addition, as noted, it may reach 1,550'.

L.A.F.2., Kanto liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3370
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

There is plenty of room for alternative designs for this tower. the question is - if they will take an opportunity and do this!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #3371

Likes (Received): 368

I don't really mind the design that has been shown so far, its just needs zhuzhing up with some gold cladding at the top blending down into the generic silver we see everywhere.
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #3372
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
I don't really mind the design that has been shown so far, its just needs zhuzhing up with some gold cladding at the top blending down into the generic silver we see everywhere.
It needs gargoyles!
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #3373
Vertical_Gotham

I for one is excited for the official release. The suspense is killing me. We had been on a wild roller coaster ride so far and so I would not be surprised to be taken on 1 final wild memorable ride.

First We get news this sucker is going 1550, then news of possibly higher, then news curtesy of JamesDL that this goin green and curvy like JLo with a lowered height at 1350. In addition to.. James hinted official renderings to be released by the end of the month complete with new permits filed. Then, the hammer drops with news once again with AS+GG going back to the drawing board.

Sheesh. At this point I was spent.

Finally news of this hearing with expectations of the full revealing had everyone on a high and at the end if the day, all we get a is rough glimpse of the design from the hearing with a confirmed height to a respectable 1423ft with a cantilever to boot.

Initially, I was happy about the height but angered with the design but was just ok with the cantilever.

Cluster **** shit storm ensues amongst us.

I have to say the massing reveals had been growing on me, but relieved to hear this is not what to expect for the most part.

So now for the grand finale...

the official release of the rendering will be showing a stunning design that is in the same league as TV and the Steinway at a whopping 1,550 ft cladded in onyx black leaving all of us with our jaws dropped to the floor with crazy eyes. Whew.. Can this day come soon enough?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

j-biz, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; November 6th, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3374
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

It's interesting that this has not secured financing. Perhaps, this will be Mr. Wanda's project.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #3375
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It's interesting that this has not secured financing. Perhaps, this will be Mr. Wanda's project.
Could very well be, but remember news of Extell working with Chinese came out almost the same time Hines was working with the Singaporeans & news of Hines securing was just last week!

I would think, Barnett's deal would be a little more complicated because his preference would be working with 1 investor if he could, maybe with 2 parties max. I speculate to hear news of financing secured very soon.

Certainly Wanda could be a big player here.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #3376
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

It's a nice design and would look great, but at the same time I'm glad it isn't the final design.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #3377
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Totes McScrotes. Can't wait to see the official design for this baby.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #3378
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusaderpat

So you're saying you'd rather have height over design? Why not both?
Hah, obviously both would be nice. But given the choice of a shorter building with a more complicated design, or a taller building with a simpler design, I think the latter would be more effective for 57th.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #3379
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I for one is excited for the official release. The suspense is killing me. We had been on a wild roller coaster ride so far and so I would not be surprised to be taken on 1 final wild memorable ride.

First We get news this sucker is going 1550, then news of possibly higher, then news curtesy of JamesDL that this goin green and curvy like JLo with a lowered height at 1350. In addition to.. James hinted official renderings to be released by the end of the month complete with new permits filed. Then, the hammer drops with news once again with AS+GG going back to the drawing board.

Sheesh. At this point I was spent.

Finally news of this hearing with expectations of the full revealing had everyone on a high and at the end if the day, all we get a is rough glimpse of the design from the hearing with a confirmed height to a respectable 1423ft with a cantilever to boot.

Initially, I was happy about the height but angered with the design but was just ok with the cantilever.

Cluster **** shit storm ensues amongst us.

I have to say the massing reveals had been growing on me, but relieved to hear this is not what to expect for the most part.

So now for the grand finale...

the official release of the rendering will be showing a stunning design that is in the same league as TV and the Steinway at a whopping 1,550 ft cladded in onyx black leaving all of us with our jaws dropped to the floor with crazy eyes. Whew.. Can this day come soon enough?

Is that a hope or going to be the reality? Is 225 going to soar way past Sears/ Willis Tower or will they stay at 1,423 ft? God, we pretty much know what 111 57th will look like, and it's an artistic triumph. Is this one going to be merely very impressive or breathtakingly wondrous? Inquiring minds are gonna explode if we don't get answers soon!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the last rendering actually looks really nice to me, but with all the slim towers neighboring it soaring to the sky, and possibly others joining the ultra high rising, but it's really going to make this tower if it pops and wows and isn't just a merely nice complement to the skyline. It's gotta be the lead singer of the group, and not be afraid to stand solo in its own right!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3380
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Is that a hope or going to be the reality?
A little of both. Lol.

I actually do believe there is a real possibility this rises 1500+.

It just makes sense economically for the developer (Extell) to do it. With 220CPS rising at 920ft a little off center in front of the Nordstrom, the more units Gary can offer with 360 unobstructed views would command mucho dollars. That means building taller offering more of those units, meaning 600ft higher worth of how many units with fantastic 360 views.

As RW had mentioned the competition is fierce with all these 57th street super duper talls, the need to set themselves apart is even more paramount.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall