daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #3681
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4517

In case anyone doesn't know, 220CPS got a height increase to 290m for the highest occupiable floor

So the height to the ceiling + the crown could well be over 300m! Which means Nordstrom has more competition
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3682
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Barnett already forced 220 west so he could cantilever east. 220 going a bit higher won't make this taller. The views are clear.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #3683
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Okay, so I don't really know much about that shadow discussion, so I've got a rather stupid question - is it really that "bad"? Will some of Central Park's popular places which are rather open and not covered with trees (e.g. The Pond, CP Zoo, Sheep's Meadow) actually get heavily affected? I know that since we are all skyscraper nerds, most of us probably think "Who cares", but I'd appreciate an objective answer for my (admittedly stupid) question.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3684
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
Okay, so I don't really know much about that shadow discussion, so I've got a rather stupid question - is it really that "bad"? Will some of Central Park's popular places which are rather open and not covered with trees (e.g. The Pond, CP Zoo, Sheep's Meadow) actually get heavily affected? I know that since we are all skyscraper nerds, most of us probably think "Who cares", but I'd appreciate an objective answer for my (admittedly stupid) question.
Long shadows have been cast over the south end of Central Park since the 1920s. Aside from the The Pond and Heckscher Playground, much of that end has an ample tree canopy that is only mildly affected by shadows. Wollman Rink could be somewhat affected if supertalls were built immediately on CPS (none are). The Zoo might also be affected if a tower tall enough were built as such and that would be a big rallying cry because of concerns for animal welfare. The broad, open spaces are further north and would not be affected by shadows at all (unless supertalls sprouted along CPW).

Subsequence liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #3685
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I still think that design is fantastic!

It's a shame it's just me though...
Is that the current design? It looks like it, but I'm not sure it is. But if this is the current design, then the main reason people don't like this tower is that most of them have seen it from this angle:

And this rendering is part of this rendering:

And the other reason is that it has a lot of cantilevers, but the cantilevers are not as stylish as buildings such as 56 Leonard Street.

217 West 57th Street

I also like 23 East 22nd Street:

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl1gWJRw6pHZ2cLHk_684b1ZTrhpx3BbzG_VcnlD1ud6HC5Qckig[/img]

A third, more minor reason is that 111 West 57th Street and One57 have such great designs. Look at them:

One57

111 West 57th Street (the yellow and black tall building in the middle)

So these designs, in comparison, make 217 West 57th Street look average.

In my opinion, the design's okay. I could be better; it could be worse. But I guess many people like it a little more because of its extreme height. It could be 1,550 feet, making it the second tallest building in New York and the United States.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #3686
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Watch your back with the Amish.

What is this image from? it seems very familiar.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #3687
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Violent Saturday. Learn to reverse image search it is very useful.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #3688
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

The hole is getting deeper. From today (Sunday):

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #3689
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

And we still do not have renders.
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #3690
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

I hope they'll install some webcams here like 432Park.

iamtheSTIG, SMCYB liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #3691
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Extell's plans aren't even set yet, as they don't know if the ASL will approve the cantilever and air rights sale.
I hope they don't approve it so they can shelve that horrendous massing, and for all you height enthusiasts, that will certainly mean a height increase...but money talks so I doubt it'll happen.
Wasn't the ASL supposed to vote on the cantilever some time in January?

SMCYB liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3692
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Here's the ASL Board's argument to its members for voting "yes" on the cantilever and transfer of 6,000 square feet of air rights. NY Guy posted it on SSP a while back. The text says the ballots were to be mailed in late December, so the results should be known fairly soon.

j-biz, Manitopiaaa liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #3693
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I hope they'll install some webcams here like 432Park.
Indeed, One57 would be the perfect tower for this.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #3694
wpolom

Likes (Received): 234

The bottom part of this tower looks like a big mess.
wpolom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:13 AM   #3695
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

THIS one is dragging on like forever. I'm losing my patience. Lets get this student league vote done with already!!! gosh. lol.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:40 AM   #3696
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I am starting to hate this development. 107 and HY ftw.
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:25 AM   #3697
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

220 CPS is still going to block some of the Central Park views from this building to a height of over 900 feet, despite the cantilever over the ASL. Given this, I wonder if Extell and the architects would consider angling the portion of the tower between say 300-1000 feet towards the open view of the Park, to the right of 220 CPS. This would de-emphasize the blocked views. The portion of the tower above the top of 220 CPS could be re-oriented toward the north. This might make for a distinctive appearance.

If you look at an aerial of the Time Warner Center, it looks like the same issue was a consideration when the angle of those towers was chosen.

natansalda, Tondar, Patrick Highrise liked this post

Last edited by McSky; January 31st, 2014 at 03:31 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #3698
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Art Students League revolts over building plan

Quote:
By Isabel Vincent
February 2, 2014

It’s a lot of money — and a big chunk of skyscraper — to dangle over a historic Manhattan art school.

The Art Students League in Midtown is pushing its members to approve a $31.8 million deal with Extell that would allow part of a new 1,400-foot luxury tower (right) to be cantilevered over its West 57th Street building.

One mailing to members threatens that if they vote no, “We get Zilch! And a taller building next door.”

Not all league members are quick to jump on the cash, and some have formed a coalition to oppose the deal.

“It’s an enormous tower and a third of it is going to be hanging in the air above our building if the deal goes through,” said Richard Caraballo, a member who is leading the charge.

Aesthetically, it’s the worst thing that came down the pike since Penn Station,” said Beth Kurtz, a lifetime member.

New York art school hopes controversial £19m deal with developers of Extell Building will safeguard its existence for generations

Quote:
Mark McSherry
02 February 2014

However, a growing number of League members are trying to delay the 12 February vote on the deal. They claim that the League is rushing members into something they may regret. Sceptics want more time to weigh up the proposals and consider any possible danger to the League's building or its members during the five-year building period and after the tower is completed.

League members cannot stop the tower going up, but they could block the overhanging cantilever or force more analysis of the plan. "The League is too beautiful and too venerable to be messed with like this," said member Beth Karts. "Some things in this world, like the League, are worth a lot more than money."
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3699
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

It's not up to them to decide?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:11 AM   #3700
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

I don't know the politics of the situation, but if the league has any say I'm all for them being able to say it. Anyone who likes good architecture surely must like good art and all the essence of artistic thought and creativity. From what I've seen so far, the design (or massing) of this building is sorely lacking in both. It's going to be tall no matter what... why not make it good too?
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall