daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3761
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I hope they vote no but again, I doubt they will. Interesting they're thinking about adding an observation deck, that's news. This tower might end up taller than we think.
An observation deck on top of this would be very cool and the lighest location in NY.
I you do this, you need to separate visitors from inhabitants in this towers, i.e. extra elevators, etc.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3762
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

With the cantilever, the tower is shorter but fatter.

Without, it's taller but thinner. I think the fatter alternative is probably best for both parties. The institute gets a lot of money and the building won't be as needle-thin as the others on 57th.

We're still at the massing model stage though, aren't we? That's not anything near to a final design is it?
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3763
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Yes it's a massing so big changes in design can occur. A great example is 35 Hudson Yards, the Equinox tower. The design totally changed in the late stages after it's official revealing, so I think and hope to be pleasantly surprised with the final product.

First AS+GG needs to know if the design will be with Cantilever or not. Looks like by Wed will shall know.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

SomeKindOfBug liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #3764
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

35 changed due to related buying everything so it could relocate the office space to a better spot on Hudson Boulevard. This could end up like 1 Vanderbilt. That crappy little sketch looks like it was accurate. Hope RW's source is a good one.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #3765
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
35 changed due to related buying everything so it could relocate the office space to a better spot on Hudson Boulevard. This could end up like 1 Vanderbilt. That crappy little sketch looks like it was accurate. Hope RW's source is a good one.
True.. I hope his source is a good one too. The thing has not been officially revealed so I say there is hope and not unrealistic to see something much better. keeping fingers crossed anyways.

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3766
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Part of the complaint by the ASL is that they haven't been shown a final version of what the tower will look like. Maybe someone there has reason to believe that there's a newer version Extell is withholding.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #3767
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
If THAT is the design Extell really deserves all the crap people can give it... the other towers at least have at least a great aesthetic quality.... 432 is deceptively plain but elegant and not overpowering. 117 Central Park West looks a lot like the "Stairway to Heaven" billing it has received...looks like a fantastic work of art in itself. 220 Central Park West is gloriously contemporary but old fashioned, limestone classic.

THIS is a screwed up giant glass box that has cantilever suspension gimmickry but no heart, no soul. That's why I can't get all excited about this tower, and the beautiful buildings it would overpower in its overwhelming "bigness for the mere sake of bigness" . It's big, and has little else to go for it... this late in the game Extell better be holding back in reserve that what will be built is a masterpiece, not merely a humongous phallus to honoring excess by screwing everyone else.
Fight the power!
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #3768
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
[B]

From that angle it looks like the giant beer belly of a plus-sized fifth-year senior frat boy taking a leak on all the art students.

j-biz liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #3769
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Part of the complaint by the ASL is that they haven't been shown a final version of what the tower will look like. Maybe someone there has reason to believe that there's a newer version Extell is withholding.
We haven't seen a final version either. Extell has never been quick with renders. Same story with One 57.
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #3770
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

My friend and SSP forum member Danielson27 made these models and I just took the screenshots of them, sorry for them not being clad!!! One57, 432 Park, Torre Verre, 111 W57, 225 W57, 220 CPS are all there.

From Central Park:

From the West:

From the Empire State Building:

From Rockefeller Center:

From Rockefeller Center:

orange boy liked this post
NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #3771
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Yeah, i hope it doesn't go ahead, it's horrible disjointed.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #3772
(:

Likes (Received): 229

So if the asl approves this could extell still build to the 1,550?
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #3773
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

sometimes i feel like im the only one who doesn't have a problem with the design of this building

iamtheSTIG, FMIII, Uaarkson liked this post
charmedone está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #3774
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
sometimes i feel like im the only one who doesn't have a problem with the design of this building

I don't either although I prefer it without the cantilever (which would also make it a bit taller)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #3775
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Regardless of the final design, the position and height alone gate Central Park so nicely with 432 Park.

iamtheSTIG, FMIII liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #3776
FMIII

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
No, you are not the only one who like it as it is.
FMIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #3777
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

I don't HATE the design of this building... I mean, the cantilevers and all the other protruding right angles are pretty sweet looking. But this being Soo tall I can't help but feel that they were a little lackadaisical with the design. What could a building this tall and potentially iconic possibly be missing in my mind and those of my fellow enthusiasts... Hmm? Oh yeah! A freakin CROWN!!!! Some overly geometric Aztec - ish pyramid would suffice... Come on extell. Don't drop the ball.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #3778
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1535

There are no official renders of the tower portion of this building..........how are you guys basing your opinion without any renders?
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #3779
Vertical_Gotham

Correct, while there is no official release of the renderings to the public, we are basing our opinions on the renderings that where submitted in a public hearing for the purpose of having a cantilever feature approved to overhang over the ASL landmarked building.

We just have to keep in mind 2 things... first, one of the issues the people at ASL complained about is that they feel Extell did not show a final product and finally, based on RW insider info, that the design revealed is a massing and not the final product. I feel whatever was shown was to basically demonstrate where and what the cantilever would look like hanging over.

We may ultimately see something close to the same or something radically different. I'm hoping for the later.

Anyways, tomorrow or the next couple of days we should at least find out if there will be a cantilever first and soon afterwards we can expect more of a final design released very soon cuz I'm getting annoyed with all the drama.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #3780
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

I wander if they may show the guys a render to make the decision a bit easier.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall