daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3861
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Thankfully there is the exception that proves the rule i.e. 225 57th's neighbor 107 57th THE STEINWAY TOEWER!!

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3862
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1279

How recent are the massings in the DOB document in post number 3841?
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:30 PM   #3863
Bolzeng
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2793

472 meters?!
Stop the world I wanna get off.
NY skyline R.I.P.
Bolzeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM   #3864
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzeng View Post
472 meters?!
Stop the world I wanna get off.
NY skyline R.I.P.
Don't worry, it won't be 472m anyway. It's just the old version without the big cantilever.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3865
Bolzeng
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2793

But thread title.
Yesterday it was 432 meters.
What the?!
Bolzeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #3866
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's because people forgot it was always 1550 ft in dob fillings and it most likely means nothing new happened regarding height which may very well still be at 432m.

Although I wouldn't be angry to be wrong at this one
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:53 AM   #3867
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

No matter how hard I'm wishing for 1550', I think the cantilever approval pretty much guaranteed that this tower will be 1424' - 1434' tops. The est. 6,000 sqft of rights Extell gets with this transfer would mostly add another floor at the most. I'm really hoping I'm wrong about the height but it's the gut feeling i have.

I read in an article the other day that there is a small element of the students arts league members that voted no has filed a suit to block the transfer of air rights because they believe they should have gotten a heck a lot more. This is actually the only scenario where I can see this tower going to 1550' but unfortunately, since their side lost in a landslide their suit will be a lost cause. If the voting was close, then maybe they can have a legitimate shot blocking the transfer. Therefore, unfortunately, it's not going to happen.

With that said, I'm really just hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the revealing of the actual designs. Whenever that may be but hoping for real soon. Ultimately 1424' is pretty damn impressive especially being on the northern tip of midtown and at that height figure. So my expectations has been revised and lowered in regard to height but raised my expectations that AS+GG will surprise with a great design with the cantilever.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:17 AM   #3868
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23058

If they have a flat roof, it will likely be 1434ft. I bet it could go higher if it has a sloped crown.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:33 AM   #3869
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
If they have a flat roof, it will likely be 1434ft. I bet it could go higher if it has a sloped crown.
Yea I agree. I'm really hoping for the sloped crown regardless.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:08 AM   #3870
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

The height will most likely end up being 1435 with the final design tweaks and the 6000 sqf added but I think it would be nice if it could end up somewhere in between and since NY seems to love symbolism in their building heights (1776 etc.) I'd say 1492' would be a good number
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:54 PM   #3871
nbrandwein

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Yea I agree. I'm really hoping for the sloped crown regardless.
I guess if it were just one foot taller to the roof than the Willis Tower I wouldn't be as disappointed that it wasn't 1550'.
nbrandwein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:56 PM   #3872
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
... NY seems to love symbolism in their building heights (1776 etc.) I'd say 1492' would be a good number
That's only one building and it has good reason to have a symbolic "American" spire height. But since this one is so close to Columbus Circle, it you had to choose a symbolic height I'd agree with 1492.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #3873
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
1607 would be good. It's the year NYC was founded, and it's feasible 1550 to the highest floor plus a 57' crown.
1624 was also a good year!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #3874
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I've been having a really good feeling about the year 3000
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #3875
McSky

Likes (Received): 1916

I think there would be structural complications if Extell tried to build a 1,550-foot or higher tower using the cantilever.

One issue is that the volume of overlap between the tower and its base is reduced by the cantilever, and some of the mass is moved off the base (center of mass moved away from the base of support). Also, though I'm not an engineer, it seems to me that there would be rotational force where the tower meets its base due to wind striking the upper reaches of the tower. Also, consider the "lever effect":

When a force is acting over a longer distance, it can exert a magnified amount of force on a fulcrum:

Turn this sideways, and you get a sense of how much additional force on the fulcrum an even taller tower might generate:

If another 100 feet or more is added to the tower, the force of the wind will probably be greater, even if the tower is made a bit thinner.

I imagine the tower will be designed and constructed to withstand wind gusts of at least 120 mph. If it stands for a hundred years or even a few hundred years, it might actually be tested at some point. The NYC area has been incredibly lucky regarding intense storms in the last 75 years or so. The last really intense hurricane to hit the area was the "The Great New England Hurricane" of 1938, also called the "Long Island Express". The wiki account says that even though NYC was spared the worst of the storms, "winds were estimated at 120 mph on top of the Empire State Building." Out on Long Island, winds reached over 100 mph, and Milton, Massachusetts, south of Boston recorded a gust of 186 mph. Although the eye of the storm passed over Long Island and not NYC, another worrying note is that "the highest winds were from the north to northwest on the back side of the storm". Winds striking from the westerly direction would push the Nordstrom tower further off its base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_New_England_hurricane

Sandy was huge, but not a "strong" storm. Even so, it generated gusts close to 100 mph that toppled the One57 crane.

BTW, I'm still not sure how the large columns at the base of the building would be located in the two versions of the tower (near the red arrows).

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post

Last edited by McSky; February 24th, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #3876
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1714

Any new photos? Do we have a big hole in the ground yet?
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #3877
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4653

Seems like we're not the only ones upset with this tower.
Also seems like financing is not in place yet.

Art Students League members sue over Extell tower
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/02/...-extell-tower/

Quote:
More than 100 members of the Art Students League of New York opposed to the League’s deal to sell air and cantilever rights to Gary Barnett’s Extell Development for his mixed-use tower at 225 West 57th Street, filed suit this week to block the transfer.
The members of the art nonprofit believe the developer of the proposed 1,435-foot tall tower should pay far more than the agreed on fee of $31.8 million, according to a lawsuit filed Monday in New York State Supreme Court. In fact, they suggest the property rights controlled by the league’s landmarked building next door at 215 West 57th Street are worth more than $400 million.
The group of individuals sued the League, the 12 individual members of the Board of Control of the Arts Students League, and Extell, seeking to block the deal.
However, the 111 members form just a small fraction of the 1,569 who belong to the League and who voted Feb. 12 to approve the sale, which is slated to close when the project gets financing or by Dec. 31, whichever comes first, according to materials supplied to members and filed with the court.
A spokesperson for Extell noted the transfer plan passed by a margin of six-to-one in a vote conducted by the League.
“One has to wonder why any person truly concerned with [the League’s] best interests, would jeopardize more than $30 million in much-needed funds and try to sabotage the wishes of the vast majority of its members,” the company said in a statement.
Moshe Mortner, an attorney representing the opposing members, declined to comment. The League did not respond to a request for comment.
Extell agreed to pay the $31.6 million fee to the League for 6,000 square feet of development rights as well as for the right to build the cantilever over a portion of the League’s building on West 57th Street.
This was the second purchase of development rights from the nonprofit. In 2005, Extell bought the bulk of the air rights, some 136,096 square feet, but did not buy the right to build a cantilever.
The cantilever, which is planned to be about 28 feet wide by 88 feet long, will begin nearly 200 feet — or 30 stories — above the base of the League’s four-story building.
The opponents of the transfer accuse the board of withholding material information from its members, as well.

desertpunk liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #3878
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

As much as I love cantilevers, I'm with the Art Students League on this.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #3879
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Maybe this building really was too good to be true... I'm not getting my hopes up too high here, this has just been too much of a very annoying process.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #3880
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

400 million dollars!!!???!!! Where in the f¥<k did the they get those figures??

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall