daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:11 AM   #4021
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1040

[QUOTE=RobertWalpole;112794008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
What reason would they have to withhold it? Surely if they're shopping it around for tenants they want an image out there as early as possible to drum up hype and interest.[/QU

The design obviously hasn't been finalized.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. The very instant it's finalized we'll see it, along with everyone else in the world (including rich people).
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #4022
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 576

Well, One57 was well u/c before we got any renders so it wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened here.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #4023
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29182

Apparently there is no need to publish the renders in order to get the building permits.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:14 AM   #4024
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

That's what I was getting at. I wonder if they're getting fined and just eating the cost (if there even is a fine, it's probably not much, in the scheme of things) so that they don't have to release a render before it's 100% ready.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM   #4025
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

If we're really lucky they're in the process of making it a little higher to top Steinway tower :/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:39 AM   #4026
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
But once the project has started the design must be posted on the construction site. It's posted on Steinway, and nothing has even started there.
Are you sure about this? I've seen really major construction projects going on in NYC with no renders on the construction boards. For that matter, they are already working on this project and there is no render at all.

The renders seems to be a new thing and I do see more of them at construction sites these days but I'm not sure it is a requirement.

BTW, one thing I have thought about why the delay on releasing this projects renders its that they are still trying to sell units at One57 and maybe they don't want to have renders from this new, even more spectacular, project taking attention and sales away from One57. Just a thought.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:40 AM   #4027
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If we're really lucky they're in the process of making it a little higher to top Steinway tower :/
Lucky?? The height of the Nordstrom will be 1423' which was given by the Extell and AS&SG during the Cantilever approval hearings. Definitely the Nordstrom will be the tallest in the city by roof height. What we are all hoping for is that there will be a chance this tower goes even higher like close to 1550' as originally advertised.

The Steinway will be anywhere from 1350' to 1400' as recently reported by the developer.

In regard to the signage at the site, I agree if the drawing is not there, then the design is still in process. I believe there is a rule that a rendering or drawing must be posted. I'm just not sure at what point of the process it's required. I remember reading something about it but don't quote me. I'm not sure.

I'd rather wait even though the wait is killing me with the design. IMO, if it's not out then the design is not ready and it's being tweaked and refined and hopefully that's a good thing.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto, citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 3rd, 2014 at 05:49 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:14 AM   #4028
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4653

I did some digging and it is indeed required to post a rendering of the building, but there are exceptions if the application was submitted before July 2013 as well as if it's a demolition site ( as well as other exceptions) but I think I think those two explanations might apply to this site. More info here.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...ll47of2013.pdf

Like most of you I believe the design is still in flux, but I also think Barnett is being Barnett and withholding the rendering till the last minute; it worked for One57 but I'm not sure if that strategy is working so far with Nordstrom. He better make it worth it.

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 3rd, 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:20 AM   #4029
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Lucky?? The height of the Nordstrom will be 1423' which was given by the Extell and AS&SG during the Cantilever approval hearings. Definitely the Nordstrom will be the tallest in the city by roof height. What we are all hoping for is that there will be a chance this tower goes even higher like close to 1550' as originally advertised.

The Steinway will be anywhere from 1350' to 1400' as recently reported by the developer.

In regard to the signage at the site, I agree if the drawing is not there, then the design is still in process. I believe there is a rule that a rendering or drawing must be posted. I'm just not sure at what point of the process it's required. I remember reading something about it but don't quote me. I'm not sure.

I'd rather wait even though the wait is killing me with the design. IMO, if it's not out then the design is not ready and it's being tweaked and refined and hopefully that's a good thing.
I meant more than just 20 or 30 feet higher so it would stand out.

I don't think the height is finalized either... also some sources said 1435'

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #4030
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

I'm on the fence about this. if they stick a useless spire on the roof just to game the height measurement, then I won't be happy. Especially if it isn't of the roof by stretching the design, then I'll probably still not be happy because the building will only get thinner.

Tallest to roof height isn't a measurement anyone outside of the architecture community recognizes anyway. 1WTC will remain the tallest building in New York within the public sphere, so there's no prestige in trying to jimmy the design a little to do anything sneaky.

Better to stick with a strong, distinctive shape and let its aesthetics rule the roost. Design is timeless, height only lasts for a few years (maybe less if the Hudson thing materializes).
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #4031
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I'm on the fence about this. if they stick a useless spire on the roof just to game the height measurement, then I won't be happy. Especially if it isn't of the roof by stretching the design, then I'll probably still not be happy because the building will only get thinner.

Tallest to roof height isn't a measurement anyone outside of the architecture community recognizes anyway. 1WTC will remain the tallest building in New York within the public sphere, so there's no prestige in trying to jimmy the design a little to do anything sneaky.

Better to stick with a strong, distinctive shape and let its aesthetics rule the roost. Design is timeless, height only lasts for a few years (maybe less if the Hudson thing materializes).
I agree, more important than height should be the design and I hope AS+GG delivers here.

If we are going to get what we all had seen so far, then imo, Gary better push this sucker to 1500-1550' to make the Nordstrom stand out marketing wise against the stiff competition along Billionaire row along the 57th Street corridor.

If for some reason Extell decided to go 1500 - 1550' with the Nordstrom, it won't be done with a spire so I'm not concerned with that. Gary Barnett in the past when speaking about this project has mentioned that there will not be any cheating with height by use of a Spire and that It would be achieved only by "roof height".

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #4032
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

What's the difference between a spire and a big crown? It is becoming had to tell.

One57 crown
111 west 57th crown
New York times building's tall walls crownish
425 park ave's fins uhhh
3 WTC spireish
1 WTC sorta spire sorta antenna
ESB antenna

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #4033
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29182

I wouldn't call the closed structures of One 57 and 111 west 57th a spire. They are part of the buildings structure.

Kanto liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #4034
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
What's the difference between a spire and a big crown? It is becoming had to tell.

One57 crown
111 west 57th crown
New York times building's tall walls crownish
425 park ave's fins uhhh
3 WTC spireish
1 WTC sorta spire sorta antenna
ESB antenna
And the Chrysler Building has a crown and a spire.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #4035
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
And the Chrysler Building has a crown and a spire.
There's actually a portmanteau for that it's called a sprown. Or, if you're particularly flippant: a crire.

citybooster liked this post
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #4036
sgollis

Likes (Received): 20

Why not have all three? A criretenna.
sgollis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #4037
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5452

Old April 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #4038
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59528

What was demolished at this site?

I've only seen that poor covered thingy.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2106/img5533z.jpg

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4039
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59528

No idea what's nothing special by your measures. Do you have a photo of the uncovered building? When was it built?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #4040
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4660

This:

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

erbse, j-biz liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall