daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #4081
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It's gonna be taller than 1WTC, that's all that matters to me. This is incredible news and I am very happy about it. Sure, 1 550 would have been better but 1 440 is still going to make it the tallest building in the city. I hope we gonna see a final design soon

I was made for loving you Nordstrom, you were made for loving me,
and I can't get enough of you Nordstrom, can you get enough of me ........

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #4082
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Once again, not to dredge up the same old argument, but 1WTC is officially - and unofficially - 540m high.

You can keep trying to make it stick all you like, but this building won't be considered by anyone but the most diehard of reclusive enthusiasts to be taller than 1WTC.

LCIII liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #4083
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

you aren't just some type of bug, you are some kind of pest. your post is an oxymoron, you ARE dredging up the same old argument!

anyway, i dont know how sure we can be about the 1440 figure from this one article from some law journal. why do we assume this guy is the most informed? we have seen too many different height figures to assume anything.

all we can do is wait for the official announcement / renderings.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #4084
SomeKindOfBug

'Not to' means not wanting to. It's an idiom and you know that because we're from the same part of the world. And as I didn't dredge up the same old argument, instead I merely corrected someone else's misconception, you'd still be wrong anyway. Sorry.

Trying to force 217's position of dominance over 1WTC based on no evidence and no accepted definition is disruptive and annoying and leads nowhere. No-one has or ever will care about spire versus roof outside of the enthusiast community, and it is that exact community who has the knowledge to understand both are acceptable definitions anyway. So the whole thing is swings and roundabouts for the sake of personal egos and petty one upmanship. I expect better from these forums, frankly.
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #4085
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

As VG stated this is great news and really does not mean anything in terms of the height. This was the last piece of the puzzle so they can proceed exactly how they want. The 1440 could also mean anything...highest occupied floor, roof, spire, crown, etc we still do not have those details.

I do still hope we see 1450+ but either way it looks like this will be the tallest roof in NYC.

citybooster liked this post
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #4086
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

FYI,
The height of the 1440’ came from this court document on the ruling. Take it as you will.

Justice Melvin L. Schweitzer
Decided: April 14, 2014

DECISION AND ORDER

Richard Caraballo, et al., Plaintiffs v. The Art Students League of New York, et al., Defendants, 650522/14
http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=...#ixzz2z402R08x

Quote:
The League owns the American Fine Arts Building located at 215 West 57th Street, New York, New York. Amended Complaint, ¶11. In 2005, Extell purchased air rights from the League (2005 Transaction) to construct an 88-story building on the lot adjacent to the League's building, located at 225 West 57th Street. Amended Complaint, ¶13.

In 2013, Extell made plans to construct a residential tower on its lot, a portion of which would cantilever over the League's building. The tower's lower stories would be occupied by Nordstrom, Inc. (Nordstrom), a retail department store, which already bought that portion of air space within the tower. Tr., Part 1. 104: 24.

The proposed cantilever portion of the residential Extell tower would start at the 30th floor, and would rise to 1440 feet in height.

Accordingly, Extell approached the League with the intent of acquiring an additional 6,000 square feet of the League's

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #4087
Milanno
BANNED

Likes (Received): 266

How is this building supposed to stand without falling down?

Amazing design, I love it.

Milanno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #4088
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanno View Post

Similar technique used to build The Beetham Tower in Manchester, UK.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Milanno liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #4089
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
FYI,
The height of the 1440’ came from this court document on the ruling. Take it as you will.

Justice Melvin L. Schweitzer
Decided: April 14, 2014

DECISION AND ORDER

Richard Caraballo, et al., Plaintiffs v. The Art Students League of New York, et al., Defendants, 650522/14
http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=...#ixzz2z402R08x

If we wanted to get really knit-picky we could say that maybe only the cantilevered portion of the building will reach 1440 and maybe if it does have a slanted roof then the portion of the top that isn't cantilevered could still be taller than that...
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #4090
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanno View Post

It's all to do with weight distribution and positioning.
The core of the building won't be in the cantilever itself, it will be to one side, which alone takes off a great weight, as well as the concrete being super strong

I suspect the cantilever part of the tower will be constructed using steel with it being light weight.

The core and other parts of the structure usually reduce in size gradually as it grows further towards the top shredding weight above.

It is incredible to think that this will be a 1400+ feet building with a cantilever!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham, Milanno liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #4091
SomeKindOfBug

Would it be the tallest cantilever? I assume yes.
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4092
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4500

Apparently tower42 in London is the tallest cantilevered building in the world atm with a total height of 183m!
So this will be around 2 and a half times taller, impressive

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Funkyskunk2, Kanto, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #4093
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

This should hold the tallest cantilever title for decades. China and the Middle East have no reason to cantilever. NYC is the only place it could happen.

Kanto, Tubeworm liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #4094
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I think we should take the 1440' figure with a grain of salt, they could have well been rounding the 1435' figure seen on the DOB. We don't know if that's finalized either.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #4095
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Apparently tower42 in London is the tallest cantilevered building in the world atm with a total height of 183m!
nice tidbit.. I always had wondered about this. cheers.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #4096
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Doesn't Citigroup Center count as a cantilevered building? And what about "The Centre" in Hong Kong?

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Twopsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #4097
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Seriously, they would. They don't really care at all about such details. If the powers that be say it is the tallest, spire or no spire, the average person would be perfectly fine with that.
Dude, it's his thing. Just let him have his thing. We all have things.
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #4098
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This fixation on height is a really fascinating manifestation of autism.
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #4099
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
This fixation on height is a really fascinating manifestation of autism.
I notice skyscraper fans from the US focus on the height to the exact foot whereas people from other countries don't care as much, as long as a tall building is built everyone's happy.

It would be nice if Sears could finally be dethroned as highest roof but anything over 1400 feet is giant anywhere in any case.

citybooster liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #4100
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
you aren't just some type of bug, you are some kind of pest. your post is an oxymoron, you ARE dredging up the same old argument!

anyway, i dont know how sure we can be about the 1440 figure from this one article from some law journal. why do we assume this guy is the most informed? we have seen too many different height figures to assume anything.

all we can do is wait for the official announcement / renderings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
'Not to' means not wanting to. It's an idiom and you know that because we're from the same part of the world. And as I didn't dredge up the same old argument, instead I merely corrected someone else's misconception, you'd still be wrong anyway. Sorry.

Trying to force 217's position of dominance over 1WTC based on no evidence and no accepted definition is disruptive and annoying and leads nowhere. No-one has or ever will care about spire versus roof outside of the enthusiast community, and it is that exact community who has the knowledge to understand both are acceptable definitions anyway. So the whole thing is swings and roundabouts for the sake of personal egos and petty one upmanship. I expect better from these forums, frankly.
You Know what, I'll go with the Forum Member who has, well, He's been around longer, He watches, He learns, and then, He Posts,, and has "watched,,, well, many posts", and isn't jumping to Post, "whenever", I'm going with the more experienced member here
GeoDude

I say this because if One of us were on a rooftop,, we want to know which is highest,,, as we Look, well, down, upon the Earth, we cannot climb antennas or Spire's and feel the same.. So Rooftop's are very Important to ME, and other's,, and that's just Reality, You're going to ALWAYS, have 2 different opinions!
So You will alway's have 2 different opinions. Rooftop VS. Spire/antennae.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by bigreach; April 17th, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall