daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #4441
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
Burj showed us that too.
Agree to disagree. For my money, Burj is a great individual tower that's so out of proportion with its surroundings that it makes Dubai's skyline look absurd (for that same reason, a lot of Parisians despised and still despise the Eiffel Tower).

Anyway, it'll be a while before we're seeing anything that really breaks out of this new plateau, let's just get excited for what we've got on deck! A big prize to whoever composites the new design into the skyline first!
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4442
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
If my sources are correct this may not be the tallest residential tower for long.
I sure hope you're right. The tallest tower in the city needs to be a bit more impressive than this or 1WTC.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #4443
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
A big prize to whoever composites the new design into the skyline first!
I totally would, but I need to make it through a hundred pages of Macro Economics today

MarshallKnight liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #4444
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
If my sources are correct this may not be the tallest residential tower for long.

Who in NYC could have the cajones??? looking forward!

And dare I say.. a wink can be just as powerful as a banana from Sir. N.F Yimby!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

babybackribs2314 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #4445
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I sure hope you're right. The tallest tower in the city needs to be a bit more impressive than this or 1WTC.
I agree. This is the 21st century. NYC was once the home of skyscrapers and now the attention has shifted to China and the Middle East. Given the economic reality and the layout of NYC, it would be childish to assume NY is going to once again be the leader and match the likes of Shenzhen, Tianjin, Dubai, etc. However, the tallest needs to at least approach the megatall landmark for NYC to be seriously considered in the picture globally.

I would be happy with a tower with a roof height in the 500-600m range, given FAA restrictions, etc. A serious tower that is not far off the best in Asia.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #4446
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
NYC to be seriously considered as not falling too far behind in the skyscraper department.
Not a worry and a mega tall imo is not needed.

Old July 10th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #4447
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2463

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79
I agree. This is the 21st century. NYC was once the home of skyscrapers and now the attention has shifted to China and the Middle East. Given the economic reality and the layout of NYC, it would be childish to assume NY is going to once again be the leader and match the likes of Shenzhen, Tianjin, Dubai, etc. However, the tallest needs to at least approach the megatall landmark for NYC to be seriously considered in the picture globally.

I would be happy with a tower with a roof height in the 500-600m range, given FAA restrictions, etc. A serious tower that is not far off the best in Asia.
Me agree too. Chinese are doing real job, while we are digging trenches.....
I would be happy with at least one roof height 600 with antena spire 800.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Ivan the Immigrant; July 10th, 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: misstyping
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #4448
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham
1776' figure will be broken in the city if there is money to be made. It is all about the money and nothing else.
....but this 1776' number is political issue and this 1775' is so obvious confirmation of imposed 1776' limit. It works like this: if you want to build a tower you have to obide no. 1776' rule which says 'no tower is aloud to surpass this number'. So, it's your choice, you can voluntarily obide the rule and build tower which does not surpass imposed limit or not build tower at all. Simple as that.
I am not opposing you too much, i am just saying it is not good when politics mingle in architecture.
(For example, the Tower Verre which in my personal opinion if build in original height, would surpass all this neotowers in it's apearance and would contribute the most to skyline, when politics involved it turned to be a dude tower.)

sweet-d, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Ivan the Immigrant; July 10th, 2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: add
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #4449
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

It was the developers choice to make it that height, he wanted to respect the height of 1 WTC and what it stands for, simple as that. There's no law in NY that says somebody can't build higher than 1 WTC.

But I agree, developers shouldn't be scared of building higher than 1 WTC because of its "symbolic nature".

sweet-d, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #4450
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Spires are amazing. I hope we see a tall spire up to 600m soon in nyc

rencharles liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; July 10th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #4451
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
....but this 1776' number is political issue and this 1775' is so obvious confirmation of imposed 1776' limit. It works like this: if you want to build a tower you have to obide no. 1776' rule which says 'no tower is aloud to surpass this number'. So, it's your choice, you can voluntarily obide the rule and build tower which does not surpass imposed limit or not build tower at all. Simple as that. I am not opposing you too much, i am just saying it is not good when politics mingle in architecture. (For example, the Tower Verre which in my personal opinion if build in original height, would surpass all this neotowers in it's apearance and would contribute the most to skyline, when politics involved it turned to be a dude tower.)
There is no rule! It was obviously done out of respect by the developer!! That is their will, but a different developer may have a different will. Obviously this is the case with Extell and ASGG.

It's been discussed before the only rule as far as height goes is the imposed FA height limit which a developer can apply if they so wish to exceed it.

I agree with you about politics and Verre. It's a shame and it was done at the wrong time. Today there is the will and appetite to go tall.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #4452
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:

Eh... no way NY will ever not be in the picture globally, in fact, I think it arguably has and will maintain the number one skyline in the world in terms of size and height. There are rivals of course but there's nothing wrong with that.

The one thing that the city lacks is a signature tower but 450 meters to the roof is certainly a step in the right direction. Plus there will be so many in the 3-450 meter range that only Dubai will rival it in that department.

Comparing to China is also kind of senseless, China is an exploding economy of almost 1.5 billion people so let them have their time in the sun.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #4453
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
I don't care about the 1776 foot number right now. I'm more a roof height person. I'd be fine if the roof height climbed higher and higher. When we have roofs in the 500m range, that's the time to start worrying about the 1776 foot issue and when to surpass it. A silly pole on top of a tower is not the true height as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if they built 300m spire on top of a 400m building, it has no relevance to me at all.
I think everyone clearly understand where you are coming from and it's your prerogative to go by with what you want to believe. Btw, I have the same beliefs as you as I'm a roofie man myself but I don't want to sound like a broken record with every post.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 10th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #4454
GiacomoPuccini
Milano & Peking

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:

Hail to the Yimby! Long live the Yimby!!

babybackribs2314, Kanto liked this post
GiacomoPuccini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #4455
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I think everyone clearly understand where you are coming from and it's your prerogative to go by with what you want to believe. Btw, I have the same beliefs as you as I'm a roofie man myself but I don't want to sound like a broken record with every post.
Of course, i am a broken record that is stopping being broken now

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; July 10th, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #4456
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Yeah, well the uproar about the spire not exceeding the WTC1 requires that someone put things in perspective. We are a long way off from getting TRUE heights in the 500m range anyway most probably, so people worrying about whether there is some kind of tacit agreement to never exceed 1776 feet are getting themselves needlessly worked up. Even if we had a spire up to 600m would mean nothing. In fact, it would be even more laughable and pathetic on a 400m roof building.
It's sound like you are the one that is worked up quite honestly. Breath! Breathing is life. Cheers!

Old July 10th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #4457
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
It's sound like you are the one that is worked up quite honestly. Breath! Breathing is life. Cheers!
Yes sir.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; July 10th, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #4458
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
No offense
None taken!

Old July 10th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #4459
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Incredible.

I'm guessing it's 22 Thames or Shvo's Central Park Tower.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #4460
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Quote:
I am so happy!

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall