daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #4761
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Detroit doesn't look like a depopulated wasteland because of the financial crisis. It started emptying LONG before then - like in the 60's due to many other issues.
You're right- sorry for my mistake.
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #4762
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

no big deal. exciting project to say the least!
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #4763
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

The latest DOB permit lists the tower at 1,490' and 92 stories (rather than the prior 88). Moreover, as this tower has a crown, and 1,490 reflects the highest occupied floor, the parapet could easily reach or exceed the original 1,550' height. The most recent renderings showed the highest occupied floor at 1,428' and the parapet at 1,478.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=07

I wonder if the most recent design is the "final one." A rendering is still not posted at the site.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; August 5th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #4764
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4485

well 1490 feet is 454m, so i recon the height of the crown mightve been very slightly off, but only by 4m

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #4765
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbenius View Post
Detroit back in its day was built mostly on demand. It's just that these days, it looks like a depopulated wasteland because of the financial crisis. This is partially true for many deindustrialized cities, but I'm sure most back then were built for demand.

I remember on the route from Shanghai to Suzhou, I passed through one or several (I forgot how many) "cities" that looked pretty new and partially under construction, but empty. It seems like these cities were not really built on demand in the first place. It appears that only the bigger cities like Shanghai and Beijing are built on demand.
I'm sure the builders in there smaller cities had the expectation that there would be a demand, otherwise why would they build them?

Whether construction of skyscrapers is led by the private sector or a government, everyone builds in the expectation that there will be a demand, eventually.

Of course, often buildings are built in the MISTAKEN belief that there will be a demand for them, but the private sector is just as liable to make such mistakes as governments are, as the examples of Ireland and Spain prove.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #4766
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Edit, off topic
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #4767
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

So if the builder filed the building as 1490 feet, shouldn't that be the official height?
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #4768
shrubit

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
So if the builder filed the building as 1490 feet, shouldn't that be the official height?
Lend Lease does not file for the building permit on such projects. It would have been the project management company on behalf of Extell who filed the building permit using Lend Lease as the contractor. It depends what stage building permit was granted, if it was not a full permit, design can be still be changed.
shrubit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #4769
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Yes -- to the H.O.F. -- not to the top of the crown.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4770
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Yes -- to the H.O.F. -- not to the top of the crown.
Lol! That is great news!!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4771
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
NYC has bedrock that lies roughly 10 metres below the surface, which is extremely shallow and strong for foundations. In comparison, the clay of Chicago used for foundations is approximately 40 metres below the surface.
Bedrock is about 80 feet / 25 meters below the surface in Chicago and it's mostly limestone.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #4772
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
The latest DOB permit lists the tower at 1,490' and 92 stories (rather than the prior 88). Moreover, as this tower has a crown, and 1,490 reflects the highest occupied floor, the parapet could easily reach or exceed the original 1,550' height. The most recent renderings showed the highest occupied floor at 1,428' and the parapet at 1,478.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=07

I wonder if the most recent design is the "final one." A rendering is still not posted at the site.
This tower will certainly dominate the skyline more than most thought and at 1490' + the crown it will reach or surpass 1550'. So much for those saying the US doesn't build above 1500'.
Now as you mentioned the most important question remains, considering this application, are the latest renderings final? I sure hope not, guess we'll find out when the official rendering is released.

citybooster liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #4773
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
This tower will certainly dominate the skyline more than most thought and at 1490' + the crown it will reach or surpass 1550'. So much for those saying the US doesn't build above 1500'. Now as you mentioned the most important question remains, considering this application, are the latest renderings final? I sure hope not, guess we'll find out when the official rendering is released.
Totally agree except the redesign part. I personally like it, but the new application suggest there could be some modifications so we shall wait and see. I admit I was a bit surprised to see a modification on the application.

The Nordstrom will dominate the skyline given that it is higher in elevation compared to 432 Park which I believe the difference is a good solid 30ft higher. Cheers

Old August 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4774
McSky

Likes (Received): 1877

According to Daft Logic (which uses Google stats to calculate elevations), the plot for 432 Park is at about 49.5 feet ASL, which is indeed 30 feet lower than the plot for the Nordstrom Tower. The plot for 111 W 57th is at 60.5 feet.

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #4775
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Wow... looks even bigger than the presently listed fllor/ building height then if these application figures are correct... we'll soon see! Maybe with the parapet for all purposes well over 1,500 ft....... love it!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #4776
Vertical_Gotham

A couple of new filings:

Figures for tower:
1490’= Height (Crown/Spire not included)
92 Floors
199 Units
1,214,024 msf

New Schedule A:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES644702090

Details to Note:
Sub Basement -1 to 5th floor - Nordstrom Dept Store

8th Floor :
1) Pantry
2) Tenant Lounge
3) Library
4) Screening Room
5) Children’s Playroom
6) Tenant Outdoor Terrace
7) Outdoor Swimming Pool and Sundeck

10th Floor:
1) Tenant Swimming Pool
2) Tenant Exercise Room
3) Tenant Treatment Rooms

Floors 12 to 90 (Apartments)

Floors 91 to 92 (Mechanical Rooms)

Roof (Mass Tune Dampener)

Old August 6th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4777
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
A couple of new filings:

Figures for tower:
1490’= Height (Crown/Spire not included)
As it should be....

rikardo_200 liked this post
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #4778
McSky

Likes (Received): 1877

1478'10"?

1490'?

You know what's right in the middle?

Hudson11 liked this post

Last edited by McSky; August 7th, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #4779
SaberRider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 60

SaberRider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #4780
Vertical_Gotham

Does this mean Extell has secured financing??

Extell, Art Students League finalize $31M air rights deal http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/08/....1NpDacyt.dpuf

Quote:
UPDATED, 5:40 p.m., August 6: Gary Barnett’s Extell Development completed the acquisition of air and cantilever rights at 211 West 57th Street from the Art Students League of New York, paving the way for the firm’s planned 88-story Nordstrom Tower.

The $31.8 million sale, which hit property records Wednesday, followed last month’s dismissal of a lawsuit brought by more than 100 members of the Art Students League against the nonprofit, seeking to block the sale on the grounds that the purchase price was too low.

Extell is building a mixed-use, cantilevered tower at 225 West 57th Street, which is next door to the League’s landmarked building at 215 West 57th Street. In the suit, members of the League who opposed the deal claimed that the agreed-upon price of $31.8 million – which included development rights for 6,000 square feet and the right to build a 28-foot by 88-foot cantilever over the League’s building – was too low. Instead, they suggested the rights could be worth $400 million.

At the time, a spokesman for Extell noted that the plan passed by a margin of six-to-one in a vote by the League, which has more than 1,560 members.

Extell’s Nordstrom Tower will house a Nordstrom store and condos, as The Real Deal has previously reported. The Seattle-based retailer reportedly paid $102.5 million for the site of its planned Midtown store, which will occupy the first seven floors of the building.

“The transfer of air rights and rights to build a cantilever over the northwest corner of our building is complete,” Michael Volpe, a partner at Venable LLC and an attorney representing the League, told The Real Deal. In 2005, Extell paid $25 million for the bulk of the air rights, about 136,096 square feet.

Excavation at the site is already underway, and the project could become the world’s tallest residential building at 1,775 feet, including a spire that was recently revealed.

As per Feb 21, 2014 real deal article:
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/02/...-extell-tower/

Quote:
However, the 111 members form just a small fraction of the 1,569 who belong to the League and who voted Feb. 12 to approve the sale, which is slated to close when the project gets financing or by Dec. 31, whichever comes first, according to materials supplied to members and filed with the court.
It's not December 31st!

j-biz, Munwon liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall