daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #5021
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_1982 View Post
No one outside of skyscraper geek websites cares about the pointless spire vs. roof debate, cut it out and let's actually stay on topic.
then why are you here?

onewtclover liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #5022
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
then why are you here?
Because he wants to be? This spire debate is really the dumbest thing, they were always counted so they will continue to be. Get over it.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #5023
WI_1982

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
then why are you here?
Because I actually want to talk about the building, and not geek arguments that have nothing to do with the building.

Why are you posting in this thread? This is a thread about a building, not about some pointless, un-answerable question about what is "real" building height. Take your ramblings to a more appropriate thread.
WI_1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #5024
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2459

Are there any new photos of excavation site?
Ivan the Immigrant está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #5025
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_1982 View Post
Because I actually want to talk about the building, and not geek arguments that have nothing to do with the building. Why are you posting in this thread? This is a thread about a building, not about some pointless, un-answerable question about what is "real" building height. Take your ramblings to a more appropriate thread.
The next nerds that start crying about how using a spire is cheating will go up to install the 50 ton steel pieces 1700 feet up in the air on this tower and we'll see if they change their minds.

lwetli, Dubai Skyscraper liked this post

Last edited by generalscarr; September 15th, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #5026
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

Whoever called this the Nerdstorm Tower was right.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

aquaticko, onewtclover liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #5027
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCaliBourBG View Post
That's bullshit, antenna is part of the building and it should be counted in height.
No, it literally is not part of the building. An antenna serves another purpose and is just tacked on to the top of a building. A spire is architecturally part of a building.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #5028
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I went by the site this am and the graffiti was cleaned off the sign!! Maybe in preparation for the real deal rendering??

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #5029
ExCaliBourBG
...Косово је Србија...

Likes (Received): 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
No, it literally is not part of the building. An antenna serves another purpose and is just tacked on to the top of a building. A spire is architecturally part of a building.
Literally not? Does it floats above building?
ExCaliBourBG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #5030
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:

Yep, you got it! We all watched as 8 guys held the spire in place, while a 9th guy ran drywall screws into the roof to keep it from falling over

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #5031
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Don't be smart asses, you know what I mean. Parts of antennas are even frequently removed if money is past due.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #5032
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
Are there any new photos of excavation site?
Nope, we are all busy arguing about stupid shit
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #5033
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Don't be smart asses, you know what I mean. Parts of antennas are even frequently removed if money is past due.

That's hilarious and I guess that's what separates 1WTC's spire from regular Antennas that are mounted for the sole purpose of being an Antenna. Your definitely not going to see section 9 of the spire removed because of non payment. Same thing with this Tower. The spire will be constructed to be part of the building and if there happens to be smaller dishes or Antennas attached to the spire, then that doesn't make the whole thing an Antenna. Same thing with 1WTC....it's not like the whole damn Spire is one giant Antenna, so to call it just that, is pure idiotic. It's a Spire that may, or will have, smaller Antennas or dishes attached to it. If you put an American Flag pin on your hat, does that suddenly make you an American Flag? God I hate beating this poor horse

onewtclover, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #5034
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Spire or no spire. As long as the roof is higher than the Sears Tower and America gets a new tallest, I will be happy.

bodegavendetta, the dogi liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #5035
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The 1776 thing is so gimmicky...
What other country worships their founding year that much?
Not many other countries have one. Certainly not as recently as America's. And definitely not the same type.

Independence Days across the world aren't really the same as a founding year. Before the USA existed they were colonies of the British Empire. Extensions of a country that already exists, rather than a distinct entity.

Unlike, say, Pakistan or India, which existed in a collective form before British rule, American independence was the formation of a country, rather than the gain of freedom for one that already existed.

So 1776 is a definitive 'birth' for the USA. Whereas for a lot of other countries, who were already 'alive' but under subjugation, their independence is not as cut-and-dry. Nor is the specific year as meaningful. I'm British. I've never cared that our formation was in 1801, because that was merely one part of a long chain of gradual acquisitions and developments, going back to 1707 and 1603 and 1066. Or the formation of my country, England, in 927. None of these years mean anything because I see my country more as a floating-point, an idea, rather than the definitive state that the USA wants to be.

So I quite like that 1WTC rises to 1776 ft. Why not? It's nice to be proud of where you're from. And few other countries can point to such a specific inception date quite like the USA can.

-

Having 1WTC rise to 1776 feet isn't a huge deal anyway. The building was always going to be around that height. The original North Tower was 1729 ft high anyway, so it only takes a little bit of wrangling to nudge it to a symbolically pleasing number.

j-biz, streetscapeer liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #5036
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Will Scotland construct a building 2014 feet tall?
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #5037
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

The comments about the significance of 1776 are absurd. Obviously, that number is tied to the notion of liberty and freedom as those concepts relate to the 11th of Sep. It's not like that number was randomly chosen prior to the attack merely to commemorate the Declaration of Indepedence.

phoenixboi08, onewtclover liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #5038
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Honestly, people have lost freedom since September 11th.
Real freedom doesn't need numbers to symbolize it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #5039
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Not many other countries have one. Certainly not as recently as America's. And definitely not the same type.

Independence Days across the world aren't really the same as a founding year. Before the USA existed they were colonies of the British Empire. Extensions of a country that already exists, rather than a distinct entity.

Unlike, say, Pakistan or India, which existed in a collective form before British rule, American independence was the formation of a country, rather than the gain of freedom for one that already existed.

So 1776 is a definitive 'birth' for the USA. Whereas for a lot of other countries, who were already 'alive' but under subjugation, their independence is not as cut-and-dry. Nor is the specific year as meaningful. I'm British. I've never cared that our formation was in 1801, because that was merely one part of a long chain of gradual acquisitions and developments, going back to 1707 and 1603 and 1066. Or the formation of my country, England, in 927. None of these years mean anything because I see my country more as a floating-point, an idea, rather than the definitive state that the USA wants to be.

So I quite like that 1WTC rises to 1776 ft. Why not? It's nice to be proud of where you're from. And few other countries can point to such a specific inception date quite like the USA can.

-

Having 1WTC rise to 1776 feet isn't a huge deal anyway. The building was always going to be around that height. The original North Tower was 1729 ft high anyway, so it only takes a little bit of wrangling to nudge it to a symbolically pleasing number.
The large majority of countries in the world have an Independence Day, most more recent than the United States. This includes, of course, every single country in the Americas as well as every country except Ethiopia in Africa, a large number of countries in Asia and some in Europe. Even if you're concerned about "new" countries whose cultures cannot really be traced precolonization, that's true of every country in the Americas.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #5040
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Will Scotland construct a building 2014 feet tall?
You might need a history lesson, as Scotland existed independently before the creation of the UK. Which is exactly what SomeKindOfBug is talking about.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall