daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ģ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #5441
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
No skyscraper will ever use wood for its structure.
As you saying just wood, or mainly wood? Because a skyscraper could easily be built using wood affixed with metal attachments (ie bolts).

Of course it's unlikely to be built, because I mean why would you? There's no need. But to say never, don't be silly.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #5442
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

I don't want to take thing too far afield here, but read this article about wooden skyscrapers.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ld-plyscrapers

With trees genetically engineered for strength, there's no reason we won't see wooden skyscrapers become commonplace (there's already one in development in Vancouver). Because they store CO2 instead of releasing it, and because they're potentially much safer in an earthquake than their concrete counterparts, there is a lot of reason to expect a wooden highrise boom in places like California

j-biz, citybooster, Shaddorry, Rain Drops liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #5443
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I don't want to take thing too far afield here, but read this article about wooden skyscrapers.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ld-plyscrapers

With trees genetically engineered for strength, there's no reason we won't see wooden skyscrapers become commonplace (there's already one in development in Vancouver). Because they store CO2 instead of releasing it, and because they're potentially much safer in an earthquake than their concrete counterparts, there is a lot of reason to expect a wooden highrise boom in places like California
Still, I would like to see a wooden building remaining in a hurricane. In southwest europe nearly every building is built with stone, brick or concrete. Almost never with wood. Hurricanes are pretty common in the fall season there, but ever noticed that no building gets lost there? in comparison with the US that means a lot. Conclusion, wood is cool and could be a technological advantage, but it will never be better than concrete, stone or brick in most cases.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #5444
MarshallKnight

Which is why you won't see wooden skyscrapers on the east coast or in the Gulf. But in parts where hurricanes, storm surges, etc. are not an issue, they will be built.

Shaddorry liked this post
Old December 15th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #5445
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I meant supertalls
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #5446
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
Still, I would like to see a wooden building remaining in a hurricane. In southwest europe nearly every building is built with stone, brick or concrete. Almost never with wood. Hurricanes are pretty common in the fall season there, but ever noticed that no building gets lost there? in comparison with the US that means a lot. Conclusion, wood is cool and could be a technological advantage, but it will never be better than concrete, stone or brick in most cases.
Wait... what?? Hurricanes making landfall in Europe are a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, if that.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #5447
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I was like wtf?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #5448
Martijn1
Martijn1

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Wait... what?? Hurricanes making landfall in Europe are a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, if that.
I think he confuses it with storms. A storm (max 12Bf) is no comparison to a hurricane or cyclone. The only thing that is correct is that most houses and buildings are built of concrete or bricks etc.
Martijn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #5449
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn1 View Post
I think he confuses it with storms. A storm (max 12Bf) is no comparison to a hurricane or cyclone. The only thing that is correct is that most houses and buildings are built of concrete or bricks etc.
Not in France or Spain. Did you watch the news in the past 10 years? "storms" above 120 km/h winds are pretty common in the fall season, especially along the west coast. Last year or two years ago, a hurricane actually made landfall near the Belgian/French border, and was fortunately weakened to half its force when it reached the Ardennes. It did make lots of damage to agriculture but no building was lost because all were built in stone. Only barns (mostly made of steel & aluminum) or glass greenhouses got severely damaged, but were still reparable.

But I only wanted to say that this shows European craftsmanship in construction, because, look at how many wood buildings get lost in the US every year...

Don't get me wrong, I like wood. It's warm, cozy and a green resource. But just not reliable for big projects, because apart from it's weakness to not bend and break instead, it's also heavy.
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #5450
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Shad, do you even wind, bro?

I'm sure you get some strong storms in Belgium, but you cannot even compare them to the destructive force of the cyclones that hit the US.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #5451
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Shad, do you even wind, bro?

I'm sure you get some strong storms in Belgium, but you cannot even compare them to the destructive force of the cyclones that hit the US.
Yeah that's true, but a cat.1 is still a hurricane, though. I admit i've never seen something as bad as in the video, but how rare is a cat.5 actually worldwide...The very worst we get in europe might be a cat.2, something the US sees weekly in their season. But still then, European buildings would remain to stand, when US buildings would collapse or fly.

Last edited by Shaddorry; December 16th, 2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #5452
Gwathanaur

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
Not in France or Spain. Did you watch the news in the past 10 years? "storms" above 120 km/h winds are pretty common in the fall season, especially along the west coast. Last year or two years ago, a hurricane actually made landfall near the Belgian/French border, and was fortunately weakened to half its force when it reached the Ardennes. It did make lots of damage to agriculture but no building was lost because all were built in stone. Only barns (mostly made of steel & aluminum) or glass greenhouses got severely damaged, but were still reparable.

But I only wanted to say that this shows European craftsmanship in construction, because, look at how many wood buildings get lost in the US every year...

Don't get me wrong, I like wood. It's warm, cozy and a green resource. But just not reliable for big projects, because apart from it's weakness to not bend and break instead, it's also heavy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_windstorm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ean_windstorms

Call them however you want, but he's right, they are real. I will always remember 1999.
Bf 12 is quite common, and European cyclones equivalent to cat. 3 hurricanes are known to happen. Cat. 4 equivalents, are, however, extremely rare.

Shaddorry, j-biz liked this post

Last edited by Gwathanaur; December 16th, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Gwathanaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #5453
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Interesting, I admit I wasn't familiar with these storm systems. Though I will say that at €1.9 billion in damage per year, I think Shaddorry may be overstating the relative strength of European construction.

Anyway, this is way off topic.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #5454
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Anyway, this is way off topic.
Indeed... How interesting this discussion even was, it was way too far off topic. Back to the Nordstrom.
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #5455
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Everyone is talking about wooden skyscrapers and I find it funny. But here is an interesting fact. For the 1893 World Exhibition in Chicago, the glorious event that introduced the world to the "White City" and the Ferris wheel, as well as the sensation of Louis Sullivan's era of classically romanticized architecture, there was a man who proposed to build an 8000 foot tall structure made entirely of wood as the main attraction for the event. The last fair had the Eiffel Tower and competition was high to beat that. Yes, an 8000 foot structure of wood. In 1893. History is funny.

onewtclover liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #5456
archilover

Likes (Received): 3177

without a doubt this tower was my fav.it was really suite my taste.i love the clean sutting edge design with spire..look futuristic

onewtclover liked this post
archilover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #5457
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

The original post about the wood was about wood under the ground, now that is not the best idea for a fundation.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #5458
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
The original post about the wood was about wood under the ground, now that is not the best idea for a fundation.
Unless it's petrified!
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #5459
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
12/17/2014

ERECT PLATFORM FOR CONCRETE PUMPER AS PER PLANS FIELD IN CONJUCNTION WITH NB 121328205
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5460
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
This 34-Story Skyscraper Would Be The Tallest Wood Building In The World
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682396/t...g-in-the-world
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall