daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #5581
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Don't forget me. It only took 1 ban to set me straight and I provide decent commentary on NYC projects from an UNBIASED global viewpoint. I've been around forever, I am not clouded by NY homerism nor am I inclined to post innunedo everywhere like a certain someone. This isn't the London Lex show. Other posters deserve some recognition, including moi.

I stand for free speech regarding the true nature of projects in a global context, unhindered by NY blinkers and rabid NY homerists.

JE SUIS CHARLIE -- in the context of development projects, as we must have our opinions be free of such vicious attacks by city boosters and biased factions... let all who wish to have a balanced view of design in NYC and how it relates in a global context stand with me now.

Let Free Speech reign free, and let no one clique of city boosters deny our right to analyse with a FAIR and BALANCED approach, the projects going up today in this great city. Unrealistic boosterism is the enemy of free speech and leads to harmful disillusional thought. All cities have good to teach us, and all criticism should be WELCOMED with open arms if we are to hold NYC to a HIGHER STANDARD in Design!

Vive La France, et Vive NYC!!

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; January 12th, 2015 at 05:16 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #5582
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Do you guys remember that dude James who, almost two years ago, said that he saw the renderings, and it looked like a Version of Trump Chi with hard edges? He was right.
Yes, especially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDL View Post
Don't worry about the cladding, it will be of the highest quality. The rendering shows a dark green cladding with some black panels (more like lines) in between. A very interesting pattern if you ask me.
Quote:
The crown won't be that big. It is my understanding that the mechanical floors will be integrated somehow. The illumination will be classy, with some interesting patterns.
Regarding the shape of the tower, there will be 3 setbacks.
Quote:
Yes, more like a mix of the Hudson Yards Equinox Tower and Trump Tower Chicago, but still unique.
The only thing he wasn't right about was the height. Maybe it changed back, who knows...

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #5583
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Yea I remember James! Wow 2 years ago?? Time flies. Anyway, his description is not far away from Yimby's. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the green cladding. I dunno, it could be interesting but we shall see.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #5584
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I think they did a pretty good job on the design in this tower. Setbacks make it look like a very classic NYC style building.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Philly Bud, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #5585
Pete86-80

Likes (Received): 28

Extel "This building will be 1 foot shorter then WTC out of respect. We have a gentlemen's agreement not to build anything higher in NYC EVER "

Some Rich Asian Business Tycoon with more money then God "I'll give you $175 million 4 the top penthouse! But only if its the tallest building in America!"

Extel "Gentlemen's agreement? Who said anything about a Gentlemen's agreement! Did u hear anything about an agreement? Developers lets add a measly 2 feet of spire!
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #5586
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete86-80 View Post
Extel "This building will be 1 foot shorter then WTC out of respect. We have a gentlemen's agreement not to build anything higher in NYC EVER "

Some Rich Asian Business Tycoon with more money then God "I'll give you $175 million 4 the top penthouse! But only if its the tallest building in America!"

Extel "Gentlemen's agreement? Who said anything about a Gentlemen's agreement! Did u hear anything about an agreement? Developers lets add a measly 2 feet of spire!
this will happen eventually. Whether it be Extell or some other company.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #5587
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yes, especially this:

Thank you for this, this is actually the image I was looking for. I brought up my earlier point about the Sears Tower simply because the "building itself" stops at 1,428 feet and these thin plated wings extend another 50 feet for no apparent reason. That coupled with the (coincidental?) fact that its this 50 feet that eclipse the Sears Tower just makes me question the architects intention.

Either way, I'm excited to see this built and how they go about developing the cantilever. I'm glad that it's actually under construction and we get to see this building rise.

t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #5588
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

That rendering/schematics was posted before it got its boost in height.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; January 13th, 2015 at 01:53 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #5589
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
Thank you for this, this is actually the image I was looking for. I brought up my earlier point about the Sears Tower simply because the "building itself" stops at 1,428 feet and these thin plated wings extend another 50 feet for no apparent reason. That coupled with the (coincidental?) fact that its this 50 feet that eclipse the Sears Tower just makes me question the architects intention.

Either way, I'm excited to see this built and how they go about developing the cantilever. I'm glad that it's actually under construction and we get to see this building rise.
The height has changed, so it will be closer to 1,490ft and then the additional 50-60ft bringing it to about 1550ft to the top of the parapet. So definitely beats out the Sears Tower now.

baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #5590
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Thank you for this, this is actually the image I was looking for. I brought up my earlier point about the Sears Tower simply because the "building itself" stops at 1,428 feet and these thin plated wings extend another 50 feet for no apparent reason.
Parapets like this are standard on tall or otherwise high end towers these days, in order to disguise the unsightly rooftop mechanics systems (HVAC etc.) One WTC has one, Trump Chicago has one, there's nothing special about this one.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #5591
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
That rendering/schematics was posted before it got its boost in height.
He posted that before and a bunch of people already told him about the boost in height but I guess he forgot

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #5592
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Parapets like this are standard on tall or otherwise high end towers these days, in order to disguise the unsightly rooftop mechanics systems (HVAC etc.) One WTC has one, Trump Chicago has one, there's nothing special about this one.
So does 4 and 3 WTC, so yes, nothing special for towers these days to have parapets.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #5593
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:

Outdated drawing and (height) figures. For now the tower is 1,550ft and 94 floors. We'll know for sure wenn Extell finally releases official renderings.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #5594
t94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
He posted that before and a bunch of people already told him about the boost in height but I guess he forgot
Yes, I know and did not forget. I was posting that image to show why I brought up the point a few days ago and was unaware that it had gotten a height boost altogether prior to that post. I'm looking forward to the final drawings just so we can get an exact figure without all this unofficial speculation.

Old January 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #5595

Likes (Received): 304

I wonder when the core will be at street level?

10064 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #5596
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Any recent construction pics, NY peeps? It's been a few weeks.
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #5597
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10064 View Post
I wonder when the core will be at street level?
depends on how long they'll need for the foundation. At least half a year i guess, if not longer.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #5598
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Yes, I know and did not forget. I was posting that image to show why I brought up the point a few days ago and was unaware that it had gotten a height boost altogether prior to that post. I'm looking forward to the final drawings just so we can get an exact figure without all this unofficial speculation.
Fair enough, but in any case parapets exist on most modern skyscrapers as well as crowns and architectural elements and they certainly count towards height just as much as a roof.

I mean really, the top ~ 200 feet of the Shanghai Financial Center is not inhabitable (aside from the observatory) and it's still a 1600 footer in my books.

Look at the ICC in Hong Kong or 2IFC, also 1WTC and 432 park have parapets. The most important aspect of a building in my opinion is the impact it has on the skyline. A building 1,500 feet to the parapet would still appear slightly taller than Sears tower if stacked side by side.
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #5599
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

I agree, Jay. The only thing that makes a parapet different from a completely enclosed mechanical level(s) is the lack of a roof. It's still serving the same purpose of closing off the mechanical stuff from view, and the mechanical stuff is a vital part of the building, whereas a spire is just a spire.

SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #5600
t94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Fair enough, but in any case parapets exist on most modern skyscrapers as well as crowns and architectural elements and they certainly count towards height just as much as a roof.

I mean really, the top ~ 200 feet of the Shanghai Financial Center is not inhabitable (aside from the observatory) and it's still a 1600 footer in my books.

Look at the ICC in Hong Kong or 2IFC, also 1WTC and 432 park have parapets. The most important aspect of a building in my opinion is the impact it has on the skyline. A building 1,500 feet to the parapet would still appear slightly taller than Sears tower if stacked side by side.
I agree for the most part, just asking the questions here. I didn't see any equipment being housed in the blueprints and renderings and what not so I just had to inquire about the purpose of the wings if they didn't really add much to the building besides a superficial height boost. Some buildings like Chicago's Trump Tower or New York's Bank of America Tower may add height boosting spires that don't really add anything to the building except vanity height, and the 50 extra feet added to this tower didn't seem (in my opinion) like much of a difference to the overall aspect of the skyline or building itself. And one can argue for days about subjective stuff like opinions. All of that coinciding with the fact that it's these wings (on the outdated blueprints) makes it higher than the Sears Tower just made me question the architects intentions, however humorous it may be.

But if this houses equipment, then so be it. I apologize for being in the dark.

Last edited by t94; January 14th, 2015 at 02:15 AM.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall