daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #5741
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2559

Pantry bigger than my efficiency!

Its funny how cigar lounge is located in the main space instead of under the accessory space as if to say it is absolutely necessary to have a cigar lounge to appeal to the 1% so they can retire into a dark cloud of smoke and congratulate each other on being masters of the universe lol

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #5742
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Shet!! With tha amenity floor, there is no reason to leave the building and if I want to do shopping, I just have to go down to Nordstrom. If I can recommend one thing, they need to put a kick ass media/theater room and all would be completely copacetic.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #5743
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Cigar lounge bigger than my apartment...
Same! I'm both impressed and disgusted

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #5744
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Cigar lounge bigger than my apartment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Pantry bigger than my efficiency
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Same! I'm both impressed and disgusted

I guess that's why I could never live in a big city. Two of you basically live in my walk-in closet, and my theater/bar/game room is just at 1300sf. How do you guys do it and why? I wouldn't want my shitter to be that close to where I eat and prepare my meals.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #5745
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
I guess that's why I could never live in a big city. Two of you basically live in my walk-in closet, and my theater/bar/game room is just at 1300sf. How do you guys do it and why? I wouldn't want my shitter to be that close to where I eat and prepare my meals.
It's not that bad. My apartment is still big enough that I have a separate bedroom, kitchen/living room, and bathroom. It's still kinda small but that just forces you to be clever with your space and be smart about what you purchase. In return for not having things like a yard, a laundry room, or a giant cigar lounge or walk in closet, I have several big parks, food markets, laundromats, museums, restaurants, etc ALL within walking distance. Not having to own a car to get to anything is a much bigger benefit to me than having too much space to store things I don't have a need for. In general, it's a much more economical and environmentally friendly way to live. Now some of the shoebox studios that a lot of my friends live in downtown are just too small...but the people who live in those are usually students or more transient types. City living doesn't have to be that bad. The only problem is it's expensive to find a decent sized place. However, I'm willing to pay extra to get a place that's big enough but still in the city.

There are definitely drawbacks. Like I can't easily have people over for parties, and it would be really nice to have a laundry room, but those are just trade offs.
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #5746
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
But nothing in America compares to NY. A small space in NY is more desirable than a huge space somewhere else.

bodegavendetta, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #5747
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2799

Quote:
How do you guys do it and why?
Love for the city, man! Prospect Park is my backyard. The subway is my 24 hour chauffeur. Plus I passionately hate sprawl and car culture.

Quote:
I wouldn't want my shitter to be that close to where I eat and prepare my meals.
That's just silly. Though I have seen several apartments where the shower is in the kitchen, lol.

4npower liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #5748
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

I guess I can understand a little better now. But if I may get personal, and ask, how many of you are married with a few kids? Also, what's the average 1000-1200sf apartment cost per month in the city? I know there are plenty of families that live in the city, but when you get to that point in your life where you have a family, its got to be a pain in the butt with having such a small living space and living on top of your neighbors. I mean where would your kids enjoy playing outdoors at? I know there are several parks throughout, and even Central Park, but it has to be a pain to load up the kids in a cab or the subway just so they can go and toss around a football or play tag. Also, I'm guessing there aren't many pets in NYC. I can just open up the back door and let the dog out to run around the fenced backyard for a few hours and have no worries, but In the city, I'm guessing you'd have to walk the dog on a leash every few hours to find some grass so he could relieve himself. But then I imagine you'd have to pick that stuff up afterwards (eww). I guess I can understand if you are a single 20 something that's just starting to shape your future, or a student, but as a middle aged person with a family, I just can't understand it being enjoyable.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #5749
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
But if I may get personal, and ask, how many of you are married with a few kids?
Not me. I'd still likely live in the city even if I did.

Quote:
Also, what's the average 1000-1200sf apartment cost per month in the city?
In Manhattan, a market rate 2 bedroom apartment probably a little over 1 million. Rentals are anywhere from 4000+ in prime Manhattan, to maybe 1500/2000 in other parts? The new ultra luxury towers are way more expensive, but most places aren't nearly that much, especially in less hip areas. But yeah, the city is expensive.

Quote:
I know there are plenty of families that live in the city, but when you get to that point in your life where you have a family, its got to be a pain in the butt with having such a small living space and living on top of your neighbors. I mean where would your kids enjoy playing outdoors at? I know there are several parks throughout, and even Central Park, but it has to be a pain to load up the kids in a cab or the subway just so they can go and toss around a football or play tag.
You just get used to the living space and crowds. But as long as it's not crazy small, it's very doable. Growing up, I knew people who would have to share bedrooms with siblings, and not everyone got their own bathroom or anything. Just small concessions like that (how small depends on the person, I guess). Otherwise it's not all that different from living in a "normal" house. Buildings that have families in them don't tend to be very loud, either. Also, most people just walk to parks or whatever they need. And usually once kids are decently old enough they simply take the subway themselves if need be. So not having to schlep your kids around in a minivan is nice.

Quote:
Also, I'm guessing there aren't many pets in NYC.
Do small designer dogs count? But no, you're right, it's harder to have big pets in the city, but the solution is just not to have one. There are plenty of houses with yards in the outer boroughs, though.

Quote:
I guess I can understand if you are a single 20 something that's just starting to shape your future, or a student, but as a middle aged person with a family, I just can't understand it being enjoyable.
It really just depends on the person. A lot of people don't find it enjoyable and move to the suburbs, but there are still a lot of families who choose to live here. There's less living space, more crowds, fewer options for pets, etc. But you have the whole city for you for your entertainment. It's not necessarily better raising a family here vs the suburbs, it's just different. Here, your kids are less likely to be bored, and they learn street smarts, about different cultures, and how to deal with different types of people more easily, whereas in the suburbs they can just mosey onto the lawn and play with the dog as much as they want. Or hit up the cigar lounge lol. Both have their drawbacks. To me that's the biggest difference: in the suburbs, you have things like game rooms and wet bars in the house to entertain you, but in the city you have....the city, and all it has to offer. I wouldn't have a family in midtown or anything (most people don't). But places like the UWS, brownstone brooklyn, much of queens, are all pretty conducive to raising a family.

OR, if you're super rich, like the people living in Nordstrom Tower, you basically have the best of both worlds: a giant living space in the middle of the city! Still no walk out yard though. Oh well lol.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #5750
Miami High Rise

Quote:
I wouldn't want my shitter to be that close to where I eat and prepare my meals.
The joke with my apartment was that you could reach the refrigerator and use the bathroom without getting out of bed

4npower, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #5751
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2799

There are over 2 million minors in New York City, so clearly people are managing to raise families just fine.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #5752
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Thank you bodegavendetta! That's pretty much the info I was looking for
It's definitely not the life for me or my family. I actually like cutting my own lawn and sitting on the deck in the evening, drinking a cold one, and watching the kids jump on the Trampoline. Plus I like to entertain, and frequently host Poker nights as well as Superbowl parties and stuff like that.
And damn, for a cool million bucks, I could almost buy 2 more houses like mine, rent 2 out, and have the mortgage covered on the one I live in. I'm definitely not a city hater. The wife and I do enjoy spending a weekend in Baltimore, every other month for different events. It's nice to walk out of the hotel and a few blocks this way, might be a few different watering holes where we can try a few dozen different craft Beers, or walk a few blocks the other way and enjoy some nice food from another corner of the world. But usually after a couple days, we are ready to go back to our house in Pa. I haven't been to NYC since 2001(the 7th-9th before the attack on the 11th, and that Saturday I was at the top of the WTC) but both the wife and I have been wanting to visit NYC for a few years now and this might be the summer. I appreciate the info and might hit a few of you up for best places to stay, and visit, while in NYC, without the kiddo's of course
Old March 30th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #5753
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 248

Could we get back to topic...?

Yorkshire Boy, storms991 liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:50 AM   #5754
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm just wondering if the ultimate design won't be released UNTIL it's exterior is done..lol!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM   #5755
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4660

These next 3 months we should see the deisgn!

The wait is killing me despite the design of the tower isn't overly different to what we've already seen!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 02:18 PM   #5756
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8364

if this wait kills you, you shouldn't go to the burj 2020 thread

Kanto liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:07 PM   #5757
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
But nothing in America compares to NY. A small space in NY is more desirable than a huge space somewhere else.
A storage space in NYC is more desirable* than an entire house almost anywhere in the country.

*it $ucks
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:01 PM   #5758
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
These next 3 months we should see the deisgn!

The wait is killing me despite the design of the tower isn't overly different to what we've already seen!
It's not going to change much, expect 455m to roof and ~540m pinnacle and 90 some floors. It'll probably look more or less the same too.

I have no problem with this, it's an awesome and very tall building that will Change NY for the best.

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:05 PM   #5759
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

3 elevators for residents,for the entire building
tell me again how they make that work at peak rush hours...
cd7890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:22 PM   #5760
Miami High Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd7890 View Post
3 elevators for residents,for the entire building
tell me again how they make that work at peak rush hours...

Isn't this only one unit per floor? Besides, tell me these are your 9 to 5ers...

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall